Skip to main content

Topic: Copy and past measures of mutiple staves (Read 1091 times) previous topic - next topic

Copy and past measures of mutiple staves
With this tool you can copy and paste measures of multiple staves, including the lyrics.

Via the dialog you can specify
- the staves to process
- copy and past or cut
- the first measure to copy or cut
- the last measure to copy or cut
- the measure after which you want to paste.

Multimeasure rests are split, if necessary.

Attention: beware of ties and slurs that could be cut at the start or the end of the measures to copy.

Remarks and bug reports are welcome.

Installation:
- download the file into your tool folder;
- open any nwc file;
- drag and drop the downloaded file to your nwc window.

Edit 4/07/2019: added an option to rather cut than copy
  • Last Edit: 2019-07-04 08:22 am by Opagust
Always look on the bright side of life!

Re: Copy and past measures of mutiple staves
Reply #1
Thank you for this. I will give it a try tomorrow. If it works, or to be more accurate, if I can figure out how to use it, it will be a big time saver!

Reply #2
Addendum: Although the subject tells you the tool is intended for treating multiple staves, you can also use it for 1 staff if you want to copy and paste staff objects + lyrics.

Reply #3
This is great.  One useful additions would be the option to cut rather than copy.  Moving sections around is quite common (for me).

Reply #4
This is great.  One useful additions would be the option to cut rather than copy.  Moving sections around is quite common (for me).
New version with cut option: see original post

Reply #5
It's a year later, and I have finally had time to try out this new tool. It's strange to say, but I was afraid to spend extra time figuring out something new!

I was able to successfully cut out a chunk from an 8 stave composition, including the lyrics (which I have always had to edit manually previously). It was fairly quick and definitely faster than doing it individually (which can get confusing).

One glitch that happened twice (I redid it to check and see) was that one stave had one extra measure cut out of it. I'm not sure why this would be. Any insights?

A feature that would be useful would be an "undo" function.

Thank you for creating a useful tool! I can see myself using this regularly.

Reply #6
I'm glad you find this tool useful.

When I find the time I'll look into the 'glitch' that you mentioned.

As to the 'undo' function:  I don't think it can be included in the tool: NWC automaticcally closes down the tool after each modification and is not possible for the tool to save the old situtation in another file. But that shouldn"t be a problem: As long as you haven't saved your file, you can reopen it instead, which is infact an 'undo'. And when you run the tool for a second time for another chance, NWC shows a dialog box to ask if you want to save first.

Reply #7
Thanks for the info on the "undo"work around.

Reply #8
One glitch that happened twice (I redid it to check and see) was that one stave had one extra measure cut out of it. I'm not sure why this would be. Any insights?

I looked at the code and couldn't find anything that could cause that glitch, unless: if in one of the staves a barline is missing in some place, the tool will count one measure for that stave, while two in the others.

So, maybe that was the cause? (That would be a glitch in your score  ;))

Reply #9

Well I am known for missing bar lines but I didn't see anything amiss. There was a single bar line instead of a double in one layer of a layered SA choral section. Would that cause it?

Reply #10
Single or double bar lines don't make any difference.
There are two situtations where the measurenumber is not increased on encountering a barline:
  • when the box 'Exclude from barcount' is checked
  • when there was no item with a duration after the previous barline