Skip to main content
Topic: How Old are You? (Read 16786 times) previous topic - next topic

How Old are You?

At the age of 88 and to be 89 in November, I may be the oldest active user of Noteworthy Composer - though not a frequent user.
Any challengers?

Tony

Re: How Old are You?

Reply #1
I'm just a boy at 86.  I hope we are both still active for a few more years!

Bill.

Reply #2
Bill, Tony, may both of you live to be (at least) 100 years old!  But watch out: in about 35 years I (hope to) catch up with ya!

Reply #3
I hope you both live until I'm your current age.  That will put you both in the Guiness Book, I'm sure.  And with modern medical services, why not?

Reply #4
I am 82 years of age. I used to type in music for singing in a ladies choir as I am a second soprano and need to practice during the week between meetings. About 4 years ago my memory failed me and I need help as to how to get restarted in order to use Noteworthy but I just don't know how..  I have just bought Noteworthy 2 as my PC would not work with 1.7. My problem is that I have lost the little booklet that came with my previous copy and could do with help to get going again as I have forgotten how to even get started. If anyone has a copy of the little booklet that came with Noteworthy 1.7 and could send me a copy  I feel I could possibly get started again. I should say that I am not any sort of musician and can't read music but previously I was able to cope with typing it in and listening to it to learn.   Any suggestions or help would be gratefully appreciated Thank you Patricia

Reply #5
I seem to a baby compared to you all with my 71 years....
I am using NWC to make midi- and pdf files for our choir members. Each voice can be highlighted by giving it ff where the other voices are set to p(iano). So you can hear your voice clearly and can still follow the flow of the music.

I also have found a very useful program: pdf2music pro which converts pdf music files into notation which you can export to *.xml. And then with the NWC tool this xml file can be imported to NWC. The complete program is quite expensive, but the free program can be used to export each page separately to *.xml and convert that page to NWC. With copy&paste the complete piece can be made.

Reply #6
I am using NWC to make midi- and pdf files for our choir members. Each voice can be highlighted by giving it ff where the other voices are set to p(iano). So you can hear your voice clearly and can still follow the flow of the music.
You can also highlight a voice by setting Stereo Pan from 64 to either zero or 127.  The choir members can emphasize their part or not by changing the balance on their speakers/headphones.

BTW, I'm only 64 this October.
Since 1998

Reply #7
You can also highlight a voice by setting Stereo Pan from 64 to either zero or 127.  The choir members can emphasize their part or not by changing the balance on their speakers/headphones.

Thanks!

Reply #8
   Hi, brado.

You say you're highlighting a Voice by "giving it ff where the other voices are set to p(iano)".  That's OK, but it means you can't properly use whatever dynamic markings there are in the score.  A better way of emphasising a Staff is to use the Multipoint Controller - Insert|Multi-Point Controller - and adjust the output volume using either the Volume or the Expression control (I normally use the latter for a "blanket" Staff volume adjustment, putting it right at the beginning of the Staff, while I use the former to allow the control of individual [groups of] notes).

You'll see the use both of dynamics and of Expression and Volume MPC control if you look in the Scriptorium at, for example, my choral version of the Kyrie of Palestrina's "Missa Brevis".  I used Expression MPC to reduce the overall output volume of the Alto Staff, and Volume MPC to modify the volume of various long (held) notes - and I was thus also able to make use of the normal dynamic markings.

Good luck!

MusicJohn, 7/Aug/11

PS   Your Choir might find useful any of the Choral Works on my Website - wwwDOTlearnchoralmusicDOTcoDOTuk.  These are presented in ready-emphasised Midi form, but I am usually happy to let people have the Master NWC versions if they want them.

Reply #9
I am 89 going on 90 in Mar 12. I use NWC 2 several times per week and love it.  It is great for changing key for soloists in our church choir of 30-35 members.
I direct the choir and a mixed group of Barbershop singers. Happy Birthday to you youngsters!

Reply #10
A relative whippersnapper at 52 to be 53 in February.  Using NWC these days to make choral part practice files that can be opened in a browser without a plug-in and with recorded audio from my trusty Yamaha S-YXG 50 softwynth, and sometimes for accompaniment tracks for my occasional solos at church.  My website just cameonline 2 weeks ago - seeandsingchoralpractice(dot)com.

Reply #11
Obviously a few "Type-O"s in my reply! ;> )

Reply #12
I had my 89th birthday on  November 20.  Many public buildings had flags flying in my honour. We live in England and November 20 is also the anniversary of the Queen's wedding. Just a coincidence!

Tony

Reply #13
I had my 89th birthday on  November 20.  Many public buildings had flags flying in my honour. We live in England and November 20 is also the anniversary of the Queen's wedding. Just a coincidence!

Sorry I missed your birthday. birthdaycadenza.mid

My wife's birthday is January 1.  Everybody celebrates her's as well.
Since 1998

Reply #14
My granddaughter Olivia's birthday is also on 01/01.

And our wedding anniversary (14th of july) is celebrated all over France.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #15
hi folks,

just getting ready for birthday day #51 coming in February.  I use NWC for studying my choral parts and am trying (feebly) to learn how to play organ.  Cant seem to get these hands working together! 

Jeff in Maryland, USA