Skip to main content
Topic: Triplets, Quadruplets, Quintolets, Sextolets, Septolets, etc! (Read 5462 times) previous topic - next topic

Triplets, Quadruplets, Quintolets, Sextolets, Septolets, etc!

I know the trick in creating Quadruplets, Quintolets, Sextolets and Septolets BUT when it comes to CHANGING the tempo it is pretty tricky in the case of calculations. I once inserted a tempo of 120 beats per minute and then on the next bar I change the tempo to 160 beats per minute, But It sounded like it's 1.9999 beats off from it's original tempo!

There got to be some kind calculations to getting it precise.

I HAD read another topic and opened the attachment but I still don't really understand it!

Hope you know what I am trying to explain!!

P.S. No comments with the silly fonts and colour!

Re: Triplets, Quadruplets, Quintolets, Sextolets, Septolets, etc!

Reply #1
I'm sure you have seen this tip already.  Without seeing an attachment from you, I would guess the tempo before the xxx-tuplet and after it are not the same, e.g., you had half-note = xxx, but then had quarter-note = xxx following the whateverlet].

The calculation should be straightforward, to do pentuplets multiply by 5/4, for septuplets the factor is 7/4, for 11 to a beat use 11/8, etc.  The ratio of the two tempi you specified is 4/3 so you seem to want to divide a normally triplet beat (in 6/8, 9/8 for example) into 4 parts.  If so you probably had quarter-dotted = 120.  In that case quarter-dotted = 160 before your "sixteenth notes" and quarter-dotted = 120 afterwards.  Also, you would have 4 8th notes in a beat.  If you wanted real 16ths with 4 to a beat you would need to slow the tempo down to quarter-dotted = 80 and shorten notes played concurrently.

HTH
Since 1998

Reply #2
Thanks Warren! That was some pretty good suggestion(s)!

Reply #3
You're welcome.  I'm glad one of them solved your problem.
Since 1998

Reply #4
P.S. No comments with the silly fonts and colour!

Now your problem is solved, can we comment on the silly font and colour? (grin)