Skip to main content
Topic: Windows won't recgnise older nwc files - not windows32! (Read 4708 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows won't recgnise older nwc files - not windows32!

I transferred hundreds of nwc files via a portable hard disk from a previous computer with XP1, but my present computer XP2 refuses to recognise them 'not windows 32' . Am I to lose years of work because of this wretched system?

Re: Windows won't recgnise older nwc files - not windows32!

Reply #1
G'day Shikisha,
this seems an unusual error...  I have run NWC and NWC2 on Win'98 through to vista using both old NWC files AND newly created ones with no trouble at all. 

In any case you certainly shouldn't be seeing a win32 error based on NWC song files...  It's just plain irrelevant to that kind of error message.

Have you tried to create a new file with the new NWC installation on your new PC?  Does it work?  Or do you get the Win32 error..?  I'm thinking you may have accidentally installed the 16 bit version of NWC that ships on the CD for Win3.1.

Are you able to give us any details on your NWC installation that may help please?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Hallo Laurie

Thanks for your comments - my archive goes back some years, so it may well be that these files were created when I had  Windows 95. But I've never had such  a problem before.  My present setup is nearly three years old. Those old files were on another computer that suddenly blocked entry because I couldn't put in my password - although I never used one. Is there a compatibility key to open such files?

Reply #3
If I understand correctly, you were able to copy the files into your new system, but just can't get them to open.  I suspect they're corrupt for some reason; perhaps your old system encryted them or something. 

Try sending one or two of these files here as an attachment to your next reply.  Then some of us can try to open them.  If they open, at least you'll know if it's a problem with the files themselves. 

Reply #4
Those old files were on another computer that suddenly blocked entry because I couldn't put in my password - although I never used one.

This smells of malware contamination. Have you had a competent serviceperson (or friendly hacker) look at the machine? If it's malware, the files you tried to transfer may well be corrupted.

Reply #5
G'day Shikisha,
I think William has the right of it - sounds like some kind of malware that's encrypted or otherwise contaminated your files.

Please, as Richard suggested, would it be possible for you to attach an example file so we can try to open it - you need to be an NWC-Tester to attach files.  If you aren't you can register here: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/ - note the requirements...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
Wow! You guys certainly turn out to help. I've tried several approches and at last one has worked. The problem was that my current computer wouldn't recognise even the existence of the nwc files on the external hard disk. I then put a search into the external disk with the actual name of the file I wanted - a clarinet study. It appeared; I then transferred it to an existing folder on my current computer and tried opening it with NWC32 in the usual way and it appeared. So the lesson is - beware of external hard drives as a means of transport. And thanks to all with your suggestions.  I'll put the study on the scriptorum, so,if you wish, you can at least see what the fuss was about.

Bernard in London UK

Reply #7
Glad the problem is solved. 

You live in a beautiful city.  I was there for the Duke Ellington 2008 conference in May.