Skip to main content
Topic: Lining up text vertically in front of a note (Read 3965 times) previous topic - next topic

Lining up text vertically in front of a note

I am trying to place a sharp under a turn symbol and neither of them is on top of a note.  Is there anything in placement I am missing?

TIA
Since 1998

Re: Lining up text vertically in front of a note

Reply #1
Warren

Are you saying that you want both of them to be over the note?

If so, edit the properties of each of the two text items (the turn symbol and also the sharp symbol). One of the options will let you place the text item "at the next bar / note" rather than best fit.  As long as you have both of these items before the note wanted, then both of them will appear directly over the note and you will only have to amend the vertical positioning.

Rich.

Reply #2
Right justify at next note/bar and pad with spaces?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
I want them on top of each other but not on top of the next note.  See attached please.
Since 1998

Reply #4
Try a muted headless whole grace note (as attached)

Rich.

Reply #5
Hard to tell if the sharp applies to the turn or the next note.

Is this a solo? IOW, is this the only visible staff?
Will you need a layer for this staff elsewhere?
Is it entirely muted? I'm assuming that it is.
Will you be leaving 'Increase spacing for longer notes' checked?

I think that putting a slur over a breath mark is 'silly notaton'.

The turn and sharp should be centered on some phantom note between the A and the B. this would require a layer. If there are other parts on the same page, the solution might depend on them.

The attached is the best I could do at 16pt without layering.

Without a layer, the turn and sharp need to be before the A as 'left at next note/bar' and left padded with spaces, but it is hard to center the sharp on the turn.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
It is a solo--the 1st attachment shows what is actually played on the top staff (which will be hidden) and has an accidental G#.  I don't know if it will be the only staff displayed (there is a piano acc. now, perhaps an orchestra later), but it could be.  This staff will be muted and "increase spacing for longer notes" is checked.  I would try to avoid layers for this part if at all possible.

Your idea of putting the text in front of the previous note and experiment with leading spaces in the "text" seems to be just what I needed.  Many thanks for that idea.

If this was being sung I would agree with the breath mark being "silly notation".  As a violin part the down bow stops at the "breath mark" and continues down for the last 16th with the up bow being in the next measure.  While long slurs can indicate phrasing in violin music, a slur usually indicates "keep the bow moving in the same direction" or "put these notes all on one bow."
Since 1998