Skip to main content
Topic: An issue with accidentals (Read 11281 times) previous topic - next topic

An issue with accidentals

I have a song I just put in that was orriginally 4 pages. the 1st page is in Bflat major, the second is Bm, the rest of the song is in C. In the whole song there weren't more than half a dozen accidentals.

I transposed down 2, and got mixed results. The verses half the song all came out fine.

The chorus cameout showing flat flat note everywhere. Can someone help to point me figure out what I messed up.

Thank you in advance

Dwight

Re: An issue with accidentals

Reply #1
G'day Dwight,
just speculation, but I have found that if the flow control isn't right (Codas not working properly) then often the transposition does odd things like not recognising key signature changes and getting a bunch of accidentals...

Could it be that your chorus is in a coda?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Are these four pages just one song file? Or is the part in C in another .nwc file? Transposing from C needs the dummy key signature to be there. Just a thought...

Reply #3

yes they are all in one song file with 108 measures as I have it right now.

The first 21 transposed correctly from B-flat major to A-flat major.
22 - 37 transposed correctly from B minor to A minor.
38 - 51 is the other 3 verses of the song and they transposed perfectly from C to B-flat major.

The verses 3-5 have a few variations where one has a single syllable and a quarter note and another has 2 sylables and eight notes. I have the words for the first three verses and the special endings on Lyric 1 tab. The words for the 4th verse and a lot of underscores are on lyric 2 Tab. The 5th verse is on like it on the Lyric 3 tab.

I am using master repeat open at the beginning of the 3rd verse, and master repeat close at the end of all special endings except the one that ends the song. I have special ending 1 for processing the end of verses 1, 2, & 3 since the are all on Lyric 1. At the end of the lyric 2 -Verse 4 it skips back to the beginning of the loop and does Lyric 3 - verse 4. When it ends
it has a separate special ending 3, which does a couple different things and the big end. There is no end of the special ending 3 could that be the problem?

Dwight

Reply #4
Are these four pages just one song file? Or is the part in C in another .nwc file? Transposing from C needs the dummy key signature to be there. Just a thought...

When it changes to C it has the naturals on the key signiture and it is working there. It is in the special endings it is not working right.  I suspect it has something to do with that but an not sure what to do about it.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Dwight

Reply #5
G'day Dwight,
just made a quick and dirty test file and I can't get it to misbehave.

Would you check it to see if I have something different to what you explained?

Also check to see if it transposes for you - may shed some light on things...

Reply #6
Dwight, the difficulties you are trying to describe are very hard to explain.  Can you post "before" and "after" copies of your song, please? Then we can tinker with it to see what's wrong.

To post them, press the Additional Options... feature just below the message pane when you reply.

Reply #7
Dwight, you've given us the keys for different pages and then told us about differences between verse and chorus. It would be helpful if you could relate the two. Which pages are verse and which are choruses?

David, Dwight is listed as a "member." I don't think he can post attachments. I think he has to upgrade to "tester" to do that.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #8
Perhaps he can create a nwctxt file and copy it onto a message.  If his ISP allows him to create a website, he could put his file there (nwctxt if nwc doesn't work) and tell us where it is.
Since 1998

Reply #9
Thank you all for the suggestions.

I have a website I can put things on. I'll put both files there and then come back and post the link

Dwight

Reply #11
I just tried accessing the files on my site, and am running into trouble accessing them. It may just take some time.

Dwight

Reply #12
I have the same problem--files other than those in an "approved" list will not be served.  Please create nwctxt files out of them and rename them to end in ".txt" if necessary, e.g., "version1.nwc.txt".
Since 1998

Reply #13
G'day Dwight,
I've accessed your site (http://www.therpgpro.com/photo/), but while I can see the files in a directory listing I cannot access them...

I suggest you rename them WITHOUT spaces - especially the space before the period.

It shouldn't need it, but shortening the names mightn't hurt either...

Reply #14
I've accessed your site (http://www.therpgpro.com/photo/), but while I can see the files in a directory listing I cannot access them...

I had the same problem.  There is a list of file types that can be in freebe websites and nwc or nwctxt are not in it.  Rename the nwctxt files so they end in nwc.txt or rename the .nwc to .jpg and tell us to rename it on download.
Since 1998

Reply #15
I've had the same trouble as Lawrie and Warren (and you). Lawrie and Warren's suggestions re names may help quite a bit here.

Meanwhile....have you tried the "audit enharmonic spelling" tool?

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #16
Simply zip the four files (.nwc and .nwctxt of both versions, why not) and go to www.yousendit.com .
Send the zipped file to yourself. You will get an email with the link to the uploaded file. You can post the link in this forum.

Reply #17
I have it working. The server people I use didn't recognize .nwc or .nwctxt. They fixed it and I have clicked on the links.

There are 4 files now.
http://www.therpgpro.com/Photo/ItIsFinished-OriginalVersion.nwc
http://www.therpgpro.com/Photo/ItIsFinished-OriginalVersion.nwctxt
http://www.therpgpro.com/Photo/ItIsFinished-WeirdSpecialEndingsVersion.nwc
http://www.therpgpro.com/Photo/ItIsFinished-WeirdSpecialEndingsVersion.nwctxt

Thank you in advance for looking at it and any suggestions regarding my problem.

Dwight

Reply #18
Dwight, you've given us the keys for different pages and then told us about differences between verse and chorus. It would be helpful if you could relate the two. Which pages are verse and which are choruses?

David, Dwight is listed as a "member." I don't think he can post attachments. I think he has to upgrade to "tester" to do that.

Cheers,
does it take to upgrade to a tester?  It might be something I would be interested in if it is possible.

Bill

Reply #19
It seems that you are in the NWC2 beta test program, as we are in the NWC2 forum.
I think that you will have to register again, and there should be something about becoming an NWC2 tester at the end.

Reply #20
Thank you.

When I joined the the tester program I must have clicked on finish instead of next.

Dwight

Reply #21
G'day Dwight,

GOT IT!

It is indeed a flow control issue.  You have the 2nd time bar before the 1st time bar.  This upsets NWC in certain circumstances - transposition being one.

Simply swap your 1st and 2nd endings, do the transposition and then restore the endings to how you want them.  Or you could always move the music around so the 1st ending is the... umm... 1st ending ;)

<edit> by "swap your 1st and 2nd endings" I simply meant the actual markers themselves, not the whole bars or anything...

Reply #22
Thank you Very Much!!!

That fixed it to it transposes corrctly.

Dwight

Reply #23
Yes, it is very important that a first ending appear before a second or later ending. The first ending establishes the context under which the other endings operate.