Skip to main content
Topic: Soundfonts - again! (Read 2769 times) previous topic - next topic

Soundfonts - again!

I've read the stuff on soundcards, soundfonts, etc. because I am, like so many others, trying to find some "decent" synthesis of orchestral instruments that can be worked by Noteworthy. To date, I haven't managed to find a soundfont that cuts the mustard. My interest is in standard orchestral instruments - solo and ensemble. Can anyone recommend a readily available soundfont for my Creative SB Live! card that will blow my socks off?

Also, I note that some others, like me, have asked about an interface into VST instruments. From demos that I've heard hither and yon, VST instruments seem to be capable of better "quality" ("truer") sound than can be squeezed out of SB2 soundfonts. Does anyone have any comment on that assertion? Also, does anyone know of a Noteworthy compatible driver (for Windows XP) that would allow me to use one of the high quality VST sound packs?

I'm a great fan of Noteworthy, which I've used for several years. I originally got it because it was inexpensive; quickly found it to be an excellent product; and have used it ever since. I'd gladly pay more for a version of Noteworthy that opened up the possibility of better instrument synthesis.

Thanks.

Re: Soundfonts - again!

Reply #1
G'day Les,
it's hard to recommend soundfonts -they're SO subjective - my Rolls Royce could easily be your 1950's Beetle...

I use Airfont 340, S. Christian Collins General User GS and Chaos 8MB when I'm not using my Yamaha S-YXG50 softsynth...

I too would like to see native VST support, but in the meantime, there are GM hosts for VSTi's available - I've been pointed to a couple in the past but have not had time to chase 'em up.  Yet the host is just the beginning - I believe you then need to set up each instrument - VERY time consuming, though once done I imagine that the basic configuration can be saved.  From what I've learned it's a whole new ball game when you get to VST.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
It is possible to use Garritan Personal Orchestra with NWC, but it requires some tweaking. There are several threads here in the forum dealing with this. Go out to the main forum entry screen (you can do that by clicking on "NoteWorthy Composer" in the path at the top and bottom of each thread) and type "garritan" into the search box near the top of the screen. You should get a number of useful hits.

Good luck -

Bill

Reply #3
Lawrie, William,

Thanks for the clues - I'll look into them. The Garritan thing looks interesting.

Les.