Skip to main content
Topic: Generate Note Names From Your Staff Automatically (Read 34816 times) previous topic - next topic

Generate Note Names From Your Staff Automatically

Copy and paste your staff notation into this tool and it can automatically create a lyric line that includes all of the note names for the notes in the staff. It also supports embedding the note names into the staff using text items (returned to you as clip text that can be pasted into the staff).

At the moment, you can try it from the following link:

NoteWorthy Composer 2 Note Names Tool
http://ntworthy.com/webtool/nwc2-notenames.php

Re: Generate Note Names From Your Staff Automatically

Reply #1
Just did a quick test and it seemed to work OK.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
The tool has been designed to both emulate the way NWC2 performs the notation, as well as how it assigns lyric syllables. It uses text for all note names, so accidentals are shown as follows:

bb - Double flat
b - Flat
# - Sharp
x - Double sharp

When there are chords, all of the notes in the chord are named, even if the same note name appears in multiple octaves. Split stem chords are shown with a comma separating the primary voice with the secondary voice.

Reply #3
Great job. Works fantastic.
-DAVID COOPER

Reply #4
Excellent user tool.

Works very well

Rich.

Rich.

Reply #5
Cool.  Works great and easy to use, too!  I was expecting it to be a user tool and I haven't yet used any of those, so this was a pleasant surprise.

Reply #6
Available now....
The tool now supports adding the note names to the staff notation as text. You can control the font and position of the text.

Reply #7
Well although I can't thouroughly test this at the moment (at work),  I have pinched a clip from someone's posting in the community and run as text (rather than a lyric entry).  Very clever.

Worked well from what I could see. Will try properly tonight.

Rich.

Reply #8
This works quite well. Two comments:

(1) in the lyric syllable version, it appears to only pick up the first note of a slurred line.

(2) in both versions, there is so far no octave designation (AA, A, a, a', a'', etc.) If this were added, we would have the beginnings of a tool for converting NWC notation to abc notation.

Anyway, a great tool for those who have trouble associating note names with written notes. But I hope work on this isn't detracting from improving NWC itself....?

Bill

Reply #9
I would suggest that for this clip :

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:F#,C#,G#,D#
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:#3^
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:#3|Opts:Stem=Down
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

the tool gets it right for Notation Text insert  but very wrong for Lyric text. It ends up with the wrong note. An E instead of an E#

Rich.

Reply #10
Bill: Regarding (1): The tool cannot add a lyric syllable where one does not exist.

Richard: Thanks. The tool actually gets both cases wrong because it mishandles the tie. This will be fixed.

Reply #11
Quote from: NoteWorthy Online
The tool cannot add a lyric syllable where one does not exist.

Sorry. I guess I thought that, if the program can override lyric syllables, the tool should be able to, as well. And since it isn't actually creating lyrics, but naming notes, it would seem appropriate that all the notes be named - hence it would seem that the override would be invoked.

Don't mean to belittle. It's a nice tool for those who don't automatically associate note names with staff positions. Might be useful even for those of us who do, in cases with many ledger lines. And it would certainly be nice to have a native translator to and from abc - which this is a giant step toward.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #12
in both versions, there is so far no octave designation (AA, A, a, a', a'', etc.) If this were added,

There's a danger here - most of us don't use ABC notation, so we have to consider who the tool will likely be used for.  Those would be novice musicians who are't used to reading music.  The octave designations will confuse them, I think.

Eric has given us two options already.  I wonder if it would be possible to make it four, so we could use both versions of the tool, each either with or without the octave designation?

Reply #13
I would agree with David that this tool appears to be geared towards the novice musician or the educator of such novice musicians so I personally wouldn't find much use for this.  However, having said this, I did test it out of curiosity and found what appears to be a bug or oversight on the part of the tool.

If you pass throught a clip that contains a grace note and select the output of the clip as Lyric Text in the Note Names tool, unless you change the Lyrics Syllable property for the grace note to Always, it will not recognize the grace note, and thus, will not name the note.  However, if you pass the same clip through the tool, regardless of the Lyrics Syllable property, and select the output as Notation Clip Text, the result will paste correctly as well as afix the note name to the grace note.

Reply #14
Michael:

Bill: Regarding (1): The tool cannot add a lyric syllable where one does not exist.

By default, a grace note does not have a lyric syllable, so it would not receive a note name designation passed as a lyric.

Reply #15
But there's nothing to stop the user setting the lyric syllable to 'always', is there?

Reply #16
Eric... Do you plan to make this script available for download, or will it remain as a webscript?  I think it could be easily modified for a little thing I want to try, and I hate to reinvent wheels...

Reply #17
If you assign a lyric syllable to a grace note, it will be given a note name by this tool (in the lyric text version).

Currently, this tool is only available on the web.

Reply #18
It'd be fun if the notes of chords could be displayed vertically, wouldn't it?

Reply #19
I've discovered this is a great shortcut when adding chord names; put the root of the chord on the staff for the right duration, use the tool, then edit the text to include "sus" "m7" or "add9" markings if needed. 
-DAVID COOPER

Reply #20
Available now...

Two additions:

1) Fixed tie problem reported by Richard

2) Changed clip text processing such that notes or chords that are completely part of a tie group will not be preceded by note name text

Reply #21
Thanks for the update - confirm that fixes that issue.

I would like to report these inconsistancies - I don't know if they are intentional but if so, perhaps a comment on the intention would be helpful.

Lyric Text misses slurred notes but notation text names them.
Lyric Text misses grace notes but notation text names them

Other comments

I like the comma separating split chords

Thanks
Rich.

Reply #22
The lyric text version of the tool does not add a syllable where one does not exist in the notation. So, by default, slur notes and grace notes are skipped unless you force them to receive a lyric syllable.

Reply #23
Sorry - I do believe you said that before.

I'll go back to sleep I think !
Rich.

Reply #24
Thanks,
this tool can be useful to me when I'm battling with Alto and Tenor clefs.

I also would appreciate the option to show/suppress octave markings - especially w. Alto / Tenor clefs + many ledger lines