Skip to main content
Topic: Updating User tools (Read 4144 times) previous topic - next topic

Updating User tools

While NWC has an in-built mechanism to update user tools that have been changed by the author, does this also download user tools that  (inadvertently) have not been downloaded and installed by the user?

If not, how can this be done short of checking the list one by one with what is on the site?  This may also be an idea for a new user tool (wish, wish ...)

Thank you,

Re: Updating User tools

Reply #1
User tools are not part of a NWC file, they are used in composing/transcribing to help with repetitive tasks. If a tool has been updated, you would need to download it, renaming the existing tool (e.g., append ".bak")  and copy it into where an existing tool was.
Since 1998

Reply #2
Just a small observation, NWC's update mechanism is for User Objects, not User Tools.  Warren's suggestion re: tools is valid, OTOH, Objects use the online synch button in the <Ctrl+J> dialogue.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Just a small observation, NWC's update mechanism is for User Objects, not User Tools.  Warren's suggestion re: tools is valid, OTOH, Objects use the online synch button in the <Ctrl+J> dialogue.

Yes, you're right.  I had the User Objects in mind when I submitted the original post.  My mistake.

But the question remains the same:  Does the synch update button in NWC scan for  Objects that have not been actually installed, perhaps by oversight, in the first place?

Thank you

Reply #4
Ahh, now I understand.

The answer is no.  I once asked Eric about automatic installs as new objects became available and his advice was that because installed objects affected the start time for NWC (each installed object must be loaded at NWC startup) he wouldn't be automatically installing any new objects (excluding those included with the NWC installer), preferring that we choose which objects to install.

They are supposed to be selected from posts in the Object Plugin board.

Reply #5
I agree with Lawrie. There are a number of objects that I've created that not all NWC users would want or need. For example, banjo  chords.

On the other hand, my UserPlugins folder has 49 objects in it (most of them functional) and I don't notice any significant delay when I start up NWC. However, if NWC had to "phone home" every time it started, to see if any of those had been updated, that could take a while.  There is also the issue that at least on my system, many of the local objects are not present in the Object Plugin forum; they are experiments of one kind or another that are not ready for prime time (and may never be).

Reply #6
I was just thinking about this today as I checked in to see what new things had been developed since my last visit to the forum. I feel like I have missed out on different tools because of either not checking what's being developed (it makes my brain fuzzy to read tech-speak), not looking for updates, and generally being out of the loop due to a busy music/composition schedule. I was hoping for a better system to stay updated on tools and objects. (Automatic systems are probably best).

What would be even better is to have video explanations of new tools! I learn best by seeing them in action. Reading about it just overwhelms me. I'm a musician, not a computer developer. :D

Reply #7
I wonder if there could be a mechanism whereby once user objects have reached release/non-beta stage a table could updated by the author with the name of the object, a brief description of its purpose and a link to the thread that's related to it?

I mean, you have to get authorised as an object developer to get your objects included the repository anyway, perhaps the same authorisation could be used to grant editing access to the table.

The link to the table could then be a "sticky" at the top of the Object Plugins forum.