Skip to main content
Topic: Recording video and sound from NWC playback (Read 3225 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording video and sound from NWC playback

Is there a way to record NWC playback without having to use another camera or cellphone.  I have been trying to use some free products from VSDC, but can't get off the ground.  Also, I don't have the option of recording audio.

Am open to ideas.  TIA
Since 1998

Re: Recording video and sound from NWC playback

Reply #1
This is the method that I use:

*   Save/export the nwc file as midi
*   Download Synthfont freeware (the paid version costs €15 but the freeware version will do just as well)
*   Download the sound font of your choice and load it into Synthfont  (I use synfonia36.sf sound font for orchestral pieces).
*   Open your midi in Synthfont and press the record button.  You can choose to save as MP3, WAV etc.

The sound quality depends on your choice of sound font of course.

Reply #2
For sound alone, you can export to MIDI and upload the MIDI file to https://solmire.com/.  Choose a sound font (of the choices they give, I prefer FluidR3) and let the web page do the work. You'll end up with a downloadable MP3 file which sounds exactly like your NWC playback. Not sure what to tell you about video, though.

Reply #3
I already have bought a utility that converts from midi to mp3 and have a few examples on my website.  I am trying to create videos like this youtube video, but using NWC, doing a video with sound.
Since 1998

Reply #4
I'm quite happy with the free Debut versions from NCH Software. They are adware, so they will try to convince you to upgrade to some "Pro" version quite often - but they are easy to work with and do what I need. An example is here - which shows a few problem: Scrolling is bad; and I had to record this from NWC, (not NWC player, because I need two MIDI devices for the two orchestras playing), therefore one sees a "raw score", with all the hidden elements in light gray.

// Edit: And for the audio, I only use Reaper - it costs some $50 and is a full-fledged audio workstation (cheap and perfect - just like NWC); with the free Sonatina Symphony Orchestra sfx soundfonts, one can get some sort of idea what a piece would sound in real life ...

I could explain details of my setup if you or someone is interested in them ...

H.M.

Reply #5
Warren,

I think that the youtube films that you mentioned are not recorded videos, but that they were created using a video editor with just a sound file (mp3,ogg,wav,...) and a bunch of photos (jpg,gif,png,..)

By synchronizing the display time of the photos with the sound - which should be easily done with every video editor - you can generate a similar video for your score(s) without many problems.
But one thing will be missing: the highlighted notes that NWC is showing when the score is played.

If you really want these red highlighted notes which follow the music, there is no other alternative then recording what is displayed on your screen and played through your speakers.

I have been looking many times for such tools, and I have tried many of them (like Camstudio and even ffmpeg). But it was never easy to get them working.

But there is good news : tonight I found a tool that seems to achieve what you want and it isn't complicated at all: OBS or Open Broadcaster Studio. I believe it is a GUI built on ffmpeg, so you get excellent ffmpeg quality but without the need to struggle with its complicated command-based configuration.
Maybe you can try that. Instructions how to use it can be found on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEXEvBKJxJ0
In the "source" properties that you should verify or adapt, you will even be able to configure it, so that it captures only the NWC-window. That is nice, isn't it?

Download the software here: https://obsproject.com/download

Bart

Reply #6
I already have bought a utility that converts from midi to mp3 and have a few examples on my website.  I am trying to create videos like this youtube video, but using NWC, doing a video with sound.
Hi Warren,
for what it's worth, I just did a test with CamStudio and found it to be easy and functional.  Not sure how old this version is, I installed it years ago and then never used it.

I set up NWC in edit mode and adjusted the view, then I set the record area in CamStudio, pressed record in CS, then pressed play in NWC and waited.

Video showed the note chase as you would expect and the sound synched perfectly.  No muss, no fuss.  Worth a try I reckon.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Since 1998