Skip to main content
Topic: Melody Transfer (Read 6640 times) previous topic - next topic

Melody Transfer

I'm doing notations for barbershop 4-part harmony scores where occasionally the melody drops from lead to other parts which in Finale is shown by a dashed line from one staff to another, like in the attached file. I wonder if NWC creative minds came up with something similar.

Thanks
Alexander
RusskiBass

Re: Melody Transfer

Reply #1
You can use the Glissando.ms object to draw a dashed line. You would need to adjust the end point X and Y offsets to move the end point to the right position on the adjacent staff.

Reply #2
I was writting exactly the same thing right now Mike!!  ;D

Here's a sample using Glissando.ms version 1.3. Take a look at the (needed for this version) hidden and muted grace note.
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.751)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:12|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:1
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:2^|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:Half|Pos2:4^
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Half|Pos2:2
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:Half|Pos2:n6
|User|Glissando.ms|Pos:0.5|Pen:dash|Text:|Scale:100|EndOffsetX:3
|Rest|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Up
|Note|Dur:4th,Grace|Pos:-15|Opts:NoLegerLines,Muted|Visibility:Never
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:6
|Bar
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10|Lines:5|Color:Default
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:2
|StaffInstrument|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:2
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:n4^|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:Half|Pos2:6^
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:Half|Pos2:6
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:Half|Pos2:6
|Rest|Dur:4th|Opts:Stem=Down
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:6
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #3
Guys, thanks for the quick answer. Though glissando is glissando, you even write gliss on the line and melody transfer is and looks different. I see that can change the line to dash, remove the text but it does NOT go from top staff to the bottom. How can I do that?
RusskiBass

Reply #4
Lloyd, I see what you did. Couple of questions. Do I add this as new glissando object? How did you make grace note invisible?
RusskiBass

Reply #5
How did you make grace note invisible?
Just insert a grace note at the place you want -> select it -> Right-Click it -> Go "Properties..." -> Then in "Visibility" tab you can choose the option "Never" to make it invissible. It's also important to mute the grace note.

To add the glisando object just insert it AFTER the note in which it has to start. Then the plugin will draw a line from that note (just before the plugin instance) to the next note/rest/bar. To adjust the "vertical end point" you can use this hidden grace note, or you can try with the Offset options within the plugin properties... It's the same for "horizontal end point", if you need it just try changing "X Start/End Offset" options in the plugin properties.
I'm pretty sure that Mike would explain it much better, but anyway you can try in this way ;)

Good luck!
[...] y el mayor bien es pequeño: que toda la vida es sueño, y los sueños, sueños son.

Reply #7
The clefs for barbershop would be a treble clef shifted down and a bass with no shift.
Since 1998

Reply #8
 ;) Thanks, Warren, I know. Do you sing barbershop?
RusskiBass

Reply #10
I'm in barbershop since 1999, and use Noteworthy Composer for my notation needs since 2000
RusskiBass