Skip to main content
Topic: Master staff (Read 8795 times) previous topic - next topic

Master staff

One little issue I forgot: I never heard anything about the master staff I wished for, for the first time several years ago. Or maybe templates, or maybe (overrunnable) dynamic presets, or maybe the ability to write dynamics on all staffs simultaneously (then you would have to select more than one staff, which could be useful in other contexts as well)

Re: Master staff

Reply #1
Multiple-select is a long-standing wish, but it is a lot of work to implement properly and I would like to see other simpler things first (like in my previous message).

The Master Staff idea is interesting. The idea is you place a (for example) dynamic on the master staff, and it appears on all the other staves. I'm not sure how you would place things in it. Say you want a dynamic after the third beat in bar 28 - how do you do this without notes on the staff? I suppose you could place non-printing rests.

Reply #2
Non printing rests is one solution... How about an algoritm that calculates the resolution of the rests, based on the note lenght on the staffs above, beat by beat?!?

Reply #3
Hey!!!

I was looking into the forum to see if someone had come up with the idea of a master staff. And what did I find??? One thread that I myself started 15 years ago (in a month)! And the latest reply to that thread is also 15 years old.

The thing is. In idle periods I do quite a lot of transcription for the concert band I'm playing in. That often includes writing staff by staff from (often hard to read) sources of variable quality and quantity, including making brand new staves for certain instruments etc. Then print it all out for the various instruments pluss the full score for the conductor.

I assume my situation was the same 15 years ago, hopefully I haven't been to idle in the meantime. But now the issue rises again. Could it be possible to have some kind of a master staff where I can put dynamics, bar numbers and references, maybe even lyrics would be appropiate to put here?? Already way back in 1999 Mr. Dowden replied that the idea sounded interesting but what came out of it?

I do apologize in advance if this has already found some kind of solution, if so please inform me of how I get around to accomplish this.

Reply #4

You no doubt know of the templates in NWC, although they aren't what you'd call master staffs.

I don't think it would be feasible to design one master staff to suit most people.  There are too many variables, and what's suitable for wind ensemble might not be good for string quartet or piano.

Why not make your own master, save it as a separate file, and either open it each time you begin a transcription.  Make sure not to overwrite it when you save the new song file.  Alternatively, open a new file and your master file, then copy the master staff from the latter to the new file.

You could send your master staff file to the Scriptorium, too, to be placed in its Helpful Files section, if you want to share it with others.

Reply #6
Thanks, but the file is apparently removed from the Scriptorium. If you still has the PDF, maybe you can attach it to me? I'm very interested in what can make my efforts easier.

Erling

Reply #7
The use of a tempo track has been around for a while.  One staff at the top is filled with hidden rests and bar lines as well as visible tempos, tempo variences, and rehearsal symbols.  When printing parts, it is layered into the part being printed.
Since 1998

Reply #8
Thanks, but the file is apparently removed from the Scriptorium. If you still has the PDF, maybe you can attach it to me? I'm very interested in what can make my efforts easier.
Strange, I opened the file on the Scripto and copied the link to post...

Try this, go to the Scripto:
nwc-scriptorium.org

Select the "Helpful Files" link at the top of the right hand column

Select the "Explanations" link at the top of the page

Select the "Lead Sheets in NWC2" link at the top of the section

That should open the file for you.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
Thanks yo you both, Lawrie and Warren, you are my saviors.

I've already downloaded and printed the file, now to reading and implementing it.

It seems that I've finally found what I'm been after! But still it would be nice if the NWC developers could come up with something a litlle less cumbersome. Whle I'm at it, when will we see native import/export of MXML in Noteworthy? Me myself prefer working in NWC but my conductor has at least a brown belt in Sibelius and has never even tried NWC. I am familiar with the NWCTXT workaround but would like to see something more streamlined.

Erling

Reply #10
Strange, I opened the file on the Scripto and copied the link to post...

This is because there was so much slurping of the whole Scriptorium site - particularly by the Daum search engine (Korean) , but others as well. They were trying to build replicas of the Scriptorium on their site so that when people searched for a nwc file, their search engine sent them to their site instead of to the Scriptorium. It also meant that bandwidth was out of control with them bulk downloading every file.

A file on the site called "robots.txt" is supposed to tell spiders, crawlers etc what they can do but of course the unscrupulous ones ignore that.

The only way to combat this was to only allow downloads if the request for download actually came from a user already on a Scripto page. This stops them from programming a script just to download every nwc and zip file found on all of the html pages.

This has the unfortunate knock on that you can no longer link to a file from an external site (as Lawrie tried to do).
This has been running since June last year and so far, there have only been one or two incidents such as this and so generally, it has been worthwhile. However, if it gets to be a particular nuisance, it can be reviewed.

Rich.

Reply #11
Thanks for the clarification. I do understand and fully comply with your needs for countermeasures. It is not a nuisance at all when you're aware of the problem and solution.

Just go ahead and protect yourself! Just a little question for uttermore clarification, is it needed to register on the scriptorium separately or is it enough to be registered as 'NWC2 user' on the forum, that is dor the scripto inherit the forums user stats?

Reply #12
No, you don't need to register on the Scriptorium, nor is it necessary to belong to this forum. This forum and the Scriptorium are not linked in anyway except that they are both about Noteworthy Composer. This forum is an official forum operated by the folks at Noteworthy Composer. The Scriptorium is operated by a (happy) Noteworthy Composer user.

Anyone who wants to download anything from the Scriptorium is welcome to. It is just important not to let companies such as Daum try misuse the Scriptorium.
Rich.

Reply #17
Can you go https to https and get a valid referrer?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.