Skip to main content
Topic: Shift treble cleft down 8 for TTBB ? (Read 6376 times) previous topic - next topic

Shift treble cleft down 8 for TTBB ?

Is there anyway I can mark or set the treble cleft to play an octave lower than it's written? This is standard for TTBB notation - the tenor and lead (2nd tenor) are both scored on the one treble cleft and a '8' underneath the treble cleft character indicates that it is sung an octave lower than written (the baritone and bass in turn are scored on the one bass cleft).

Does anyone know how to make the notes on a staff play in Noteworthy an octave lower than they are written?

Thanks.

Re: Shift treble cleft down 8 for TTBB ?

Reply #1
That's an easy one. Select the clef (highlight it) and right click. Select properties, then the "Clef" tab. There is a dropdown for Octave Shift. You can select None, Octave Up, or Octave Down. The little 8 will appear for a shift.

Reply #2
Thanks! Figured it had to be there somewhere.

Reply #3
Alternatively you can transpose the instrument -12 semitones.
(Staff->Staff properties->Instrument->Transposition)

Reply #4
Transposing would give the same sound,
but as far as I know,
it's not standard practice for Tenor notation.

Reply #5
are both scored on the one treble cleft and a '8' underneath the treble cleft

Sorry, Haymo, I missed that detail.
The correct answer is the one of fathafluff.

Reply #6
The answer fathafluff gave works here--seeing an 8 under the staff is par for the course although no tenor is going to sing "up" if it is omitted.  For music where the octave down is implied (guitar for example), the method Flurmy suggested is the way to go.  Just know which arrow to get out of your quiver.
Since 1998

Install in Windows 8

Reply #7
Is it possible to install NoteWorthyComposer2 in Windows 8 ?

Re: Install in Windows 8

Reply #9
Is it possible to install NoteWorthyComposer2 in Windows 8 ?

I'll also confirm that NWC 2.5.5 works fine in Windows 8, as that's what I'm using. (I'm running the 64-bit version)

Reply #10
Badly OT, guys. Can you move this conversation over to here?

Reply #11
Would gladly shift it - if I knew how.

Reply #12
Badly OT, guys. Can you move this conversation over to here?
I don't think this thread should be moved to a thread for Windows 8 topics, Bill. 

How to do an octave shift is a general topic; how to make it work with Windows 8 is just detail.

Reply #13
You don't have to move what's already here....but additional comments re installing on Windows 8 should be placed in a thread dedicated to installation issues, not treble clef notation issues. (David, if the comments here were about how to shift the treble clef up or down an octave in Win8 vs. earlier versions, they would belong. They're not. They're about whether or not NWC can be installed on a Win8 machine, and that's definitely OT. I don't have a problem reading past them, but locating them here definitely makes it harder for other forum users to find them.)

Reply #14
Hi Bill,
I agree three of the replies are just about Win 8, so I agree they could be moved. I'm not sure how important it is; they aren't the first messages to stray within a thread.  Just as my reply is off-topic (grin). 
BW
David