Skip to main content
Topic: Print preview problem (Read 2918 times) previous topic - next topic

Print preview problem

Hi.   In Print Preview, the pages have suddenly begun to appear in half their normal width, squeezing everything together and causing much overlapping. It`s impossible to work with like this. Any ideas as to what may be causing this please? It`s causing me big problems at the moment, as I need an accurate preview to make any adjustments to the score. Every other aspect on my PC seems to be in order.

Re: Print preview problem

Reply #1
I haven't ever had this type of problem.
Best way to help you, would be if:
1. You submit a copy of the file which is giving this problem.
2. In NWC, what are the details that you can get from "Page Setup"?
   At which page size did you intend to print, and does that agree with what you got from the above?
3. Which printer, (in NWC) is selected at present?
4. In NWC, use Help > About  and report to us, the exact version of NWC which you are using.
5. Which operating system are you using? eg: WinXP XP3, 7, 8,    .....?
6. Did you, by any chance, use Rick G's user tool "rg_Squash.php" ?, which would squash everything to minimal width?
    If so, you could use Rick's "rg_Zap_Spacers.php" to remove all (or some) of the spacers to return to default spacing.

Hopefully you can be helped when the above information is available.

Reply #2
6. Did you, by any chance, use Rick G's user tool "rg_Squash.php" ?, which would squash everything to minimal width?
Unlikely, but in that case, Viewer Mode would show the same problem.

Welcome to the forum. Try opening a simple sample file like MOZART.NWC
If it displays correctly, the problem is likely in your song file. Mismatched bar lines are often the culprit. Also, check the Font tab of the Page Setup Command. If the song uses strange fonts, or fonts are missing, Print Preview may look quite different than Edit/Viewer mode.

Try using the Printer Setup Command to select a different printer. If the problem goes away, you likely have a bad printer driver.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Many thanks, haymo and RickG.  It was my printer, which I changed recently.  I had set it as my default printer, also in NWC, and this caused the "squashed" image in Page Setup, although I`ve no idea why - could be a driver problem as you suggest. I`ve now changed the default printer to PDF995 and - problem solved!
Thanks again.

Reply #4
no idea why - could be a driver problem as you suggest ... Thanks again.
You are welcome.

For music notation software, the root of most printer (and screen) driver problems is a font problem. Fonts that contain music symbols are usually not created by professional design houses and do not undergo extensive testing.

Some fonts are badly designed. Drivers try to compensate; some succeed better than others.

Some fonts use advanced features. Drivers are supposed to ignore what they don't understand, but some fonts depend on the advanced features to render properly.
Registered user since 1996