Skip to main content
Topic: Convert MIDI into WAV? (Read 199909 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Convert MIDI into WAV?

Reply #50
For notating music I'd recommend NoteWorthy Composer and an ear-training course.

Reply #52
You may use MIDI Renderer,but I don't know where to download it
Please post here

Reply #53
Ok,,,all this fussin is unnecessary,,,go get this program called "Total Record" here's the link http://www.highcriteria.com/...it does fine if you set it up to record thru the midi softsynth on your computer,,I tried it ,,it works perfect,no difference from the actual midi file.No noise,,no difference..then get Audio catalyst 2.01 and turn that mug into an mp3...and start livin again...I'm is...he he he !!!

Reply #54
I want to convert a midi file to a wave file so that i could put it on a CD. I am not sure how...My sound card or maby my computer won't record and play simultaneously.

Reply #55
There are programs that will produce a .wav file from a MIDI file without involving the soundcard at all. I've tried Audio Compositor and am reasonably happy with it. See Fred Nachbaur's earlier message in this thread (about 5 messages up from yours) for more info.

Reply #56
I'd have to add my two cents worth to the discussion by echoing those others who have recommended and are using Audio Compositor. For my money, there is nothing else on the market that will do the job with the ease that Audio Compositor does, especially if your into creating and editing soundfonts.

I did a project about a year ago of original songs for a CD where the instrumentation was all composed on NoteWorthy Composer. I used NoteWorthy to export each song as a MIDI file and then converted the tracks in each MIDI separately to individual WAVs using Audio Compositor and a soundfont of the instrumentation that I needed that I put together. Audio Compositor allowed me to create and edit the soundfont I used and the whole project really was very easy and done rather quickly. I then used Cool Edit Pro to lay down the vocal tracks and to enhance and blend all of the WAVs into a single file for each song, suitable for burining to a CD.

I'd have to say my work would have been much harder had it not been for Audio Compositor and the great capabilities of NoteWorthy Composer.

Reply #57
came across this page searching for "mid2wav" Many thanks to Phoenix as I`ve just been wrestling with recording midi with the fortissimo.I even tried that virtual audio cable (like a wav version of Hubi`s loop) to no avail. You seem to have covered all the bases saving me a load of grief trying to do the imposible with it.Weird ,never had a card that couldn`t do it internally before .The splitter solution is a bit of a pain though when you want to use the line in for other stuff, ie tape decks or mixers.
Sure XG is a little weak on the brasses and some other stuff but its so flexible it more than makes up for it. If you don`t like a sound change it. For an easy solution grab a copy of XG Edit from yamaha.co.uk Its a save disabled demo but it does some really cool stuff (essential really) and its not even expensive if you want the unrestricted version
PS Phoenix new Fortissimo drivers out 22/02/2000 at the Guillemot site just in case you missed them

Reply #58
Well, I've been reading the forum, now to put my own 2 cents in. I recently did an accompaniament CD using midi with piano tracks. I converted the midi into wav by just playing the midi (using an old program called orchestrator - a voyetra thing) and creative's WaveStudio (as the wav recorder). The thing that is important to do is to go into the sound recording properties of Windows (right-click that little yellow speaker and look around there) and pick as your recording source "Midi." If that's not possible, try "What-u-hear" or "monitor" if those are available. If you happen to have a fancy sound card (like my Sound Blaster LIVE!) then it's very easily done using Creative's "Audio HQ". Anyway, I'm very much looking forward to trying this Audio Compositor, being as doing it the play/record way is VERY time consumng. If anyone has any comments/suggestions, you can email me at ronning@whidbey.net

Reply #59
This is for "crap" who wanted a notetation program. The very best program for the serious composer is Personal Composer. It has the ability to do an entire orchestra score, or just a plain one line piece of music. Ir is very easy to use. I am a composer and a teacher and I have written my own piano course using this program. The web
site is www.pcomposer.com. You can download a demo to check it out. Believe me, you won't be sorry.

Reply #60
Er.. actually, I did download it, and I /was/ sorry...

Reply #61
I have just made a CD that plays a recording from MIDI. Yes Midi to CD. Via Wav.......thats midi to wave to mp3 to cd. Need lots of tweaking but its great. Just imagine turning all those midi files into a format that you can play on your home cd player or car cd player. Convert the midi to a good notation software and you have the sheet music to.

Reply #62
I don't think anyone disputes this. I've written CD's from MIDI myself.

I wonder, though, that you found it necessary to convert to mp3 before writing your CD. Most CD writing software I've heard of will write directly from wav files. I'm under the impression, too, that converting from wav to mp3 format causes some loss of sound fidelity, which doesn't seem desirable.

Reply #63
If you need a simple WAV to MP3 converter try:-
Right Click MP3
Download at:-
http://www.execpc.com/MrShannon/rc-mp3/
Adjustable Bit Rate from Midi quality right up.

To convert a wav file all you have to do is right click it and a minute or so later you have an mp3.

Reply #64
I have read many of the above replys, and actually Sound Blaster Live! now has the capability of using wave files through its midi port.

Reply #65
Hi All! Getting back to this thread just a little, may I add my support to AUDIO COMPOSITOR by Scott Mitchell. Version 4 has just been released and it's fantastic.

For soundfonts, go to www.personalcopy.com and download UNISON.ZIP - it's huge and it'll take hours, but you won't be disappointed!

AUDIO COMPOSITOR available from

http://home.att.net/~audiocompositor

Reply #66
Well, all of this info is really great for you PC folks. Can anyone tell me how to do this midi to wav conversion on a Mac? Thanks.

Reply #68
To Sidney Neeb(and anyone else with an idea)...I have the Sound Blaster Live! Platinum edition, a digital piano(with midi capabilities, of course), and an old Roland Sound Canvas...now, the quality of the Sound Canvas' piano is magnificent, and I've made one CD using the RCA's from the SC to the line-in on my computer...terrible quality being analog and all...Sidney earlier said you can go straight to WAV through the midi cables on SB Live...can anyone confirm and if so how? That is the only way to get digital quality through lines that I know of...I have recorded Midi in, but I can't figure out how to loop it back through the Sound Canvas all MIDI so I can keep the digital quality...can anyone help? I'm not interested in full orchestral effects or anything, I just want my piano synthesis to sound like a real grand piano...thank you...

Stephen

Reply #69
Wingroove will convert midi to wav. The output is great but you're restricted to wingroove's sound set (which are pretty good anyway)
But...I've got a cracked version of wingroove and it will only convert files that are shorter than 30 seconds...will actually registering help?

Reply #70
I'm too cheap to pay for the registered version of any of these programs, and nothing free has worked. Does midi2wav.exe yield good waves? And if so, on what ftp search engine could I find it? I've looked on all the ftpsearches I could find and I couldn't find it.

Reply #73
Hi

I have tried to put a jack cable from my output channel to input. When i am recording from the windows media player, and makes the quality to 127 i cant hear it. It can not record in this quality. when I tried to record in goldwave. whith 44.100 htz. it was still at very sad quality

( I have a ISIS 4 input 8 output)

Reply #74
I recently got a CD Writer and I can only use WAV files to put on CD. And I have so many MIDI files. And I have to convert them to WAV, but I have no idea how to do it. Audio Compositor does not work. Nothing I've tried works. Is there anyone out there that can help me with this problem? How can I convert my MIDI files to WAV files?

Reply #75
Audio Compositor is certainly capable of converting MIDI to WAV. Here's how:

- Start Audio Compositor.

- From the File Menu, select "Open MIDI file" and open the file you're trying to convert.

- In the window representing your open MIDI file, go to the "Instrument/MIDI input" tab and specify an Instrument file. (SoundBlaster .sf2 files work here. If you don't have any available, you can find any number of free ones on the Web. A good place to start is http://thesoundsite.ismi.net/ )

- Then go to the "Audio output" tab, check "To file" and specify an output file name. For CD quality sound select a "Sample Rate" of 44100 and a "Word size" of 16 bits.
At this point you can create a WAV file simply by checking on the "start rendering" button (upper left in the MIDI file window).

Reply #77
i found the best program to convert midi into wav and ITS 100% FREE!!!! it is amazing..perfect quality..If you want it feel free to email me...when you install it make sure that the targer destination is different than the source directory.

Reply #78
I tried converting my Prelude (available from the Scr. or my site: http://ertugrulinanc@8m.com)) via Audio Compositor and used SB Live's standard instrument set but it changed my tubular bells so that I couldn't identify them. Trying different instrument files did not work. Does anybody have a solution?

Reply #80
Well, I got a AWE64 Value and playing midi with MediaPlayer and recorded with CoolEdit or something doesn't work, as there are some small pauses in between and it hisses...which is not good as I program the drums for by solo-projekt...then Midi is created and now I need some prog. that can convert midi to wav.

I tried some progs but all of them are shareware...Wingroov did the job...here the problem is:
when playing the file, you can select the instruments...but when saving as wav, the defaults are used and the drums sound crappy..any ideas?

Where can I get a free converter that uses my actual midi device? (W-synth/midi on my Awe64) ?

Reply #81
Yeah!!! Now I got a cool prog, Audiocompositor and it works :)))

Reply #82
Hint when using CoolEdit:

In Options --> Settings, System tab: reduce total buffer size from default. I set it at 1 second using 8 buffers, Wave cache 2048K, peaks cache 256. This eliminated the occasional stutter I was getting, even using a fast computer (K6-II/500).

Reply #83
Does anyone know HOW to use SF2-files? (sound-fonts)

I can select the SF2 with which the prog converts midi to wav, therefore I'd need good drums and bass...any suggestions?

(on the Audio Compositor HP, there are links but the sound wasn't too good...and e.g. Korg55 had only 6 drum sounds and not the whole range I would need)...

Any hints?

Reply #84
I have two questions about this thread.

1) Is there an extra bonus for a thread that reaches more than 100 replies ? (this one will probably do)

2) Did Alex Fefer who initiated the thread receive a warning message in his/her mailbox for each of the 85 replies (+ 1 for mine) ?

Reply #85
Answer to #2: No, becuase this thread is no longer in the active listing (but he might have received the first 20 or so).

Reply #90
how do you convert an MP3 file to an audio file for play on car stereos

Reply #91
Sitting here reading all the replies, I notice only one person tried Goldwave. I've used Goldwave for everything including this problem. With the latest incarnation of this program, you have the option to specify recording from Midi. Essentially, it's recording from Media Player without cables. No microphones necessary either.

Just be sure to up the midi recording volume to max and Windows Midi playback to max with everything else leveled. If that's still not loud enough, you may have to double the volume, but at this record rate, that's not a problem. For myself, the quality came out just fine with settings at 96000 and stereo using a Sound Blaster Live Value.

Reply #92
Well, I didn't know if this was saying before but I can say how I did it.

First you set up the sound recorder of windows or (in my case) the wave recorder of Sounblaster. (I've setted on cd cuality.) Be sure you are recoring from the sound card, not line in. (as I remenber) press record and then press play on the noteworthy.

It works for me, even I've record it on CD. =)

Reply #93
God, all this for one question!

Reply #94
I too was interested in this but a new question is how to convert mp3 to wav. to burn some cd's. :()help

Reply #95
i think i have sound blaster 1080 ??

Reply #96
OK, for what it is worth. I use a program called AC to convert midi to wav......then i use Shuttle to convert MP3 or wav or wma back and forth...... easy way to convert mp3 to wav is program called Decode. Now with these 3 programs i can convert mp3,mwa,wav,midi back and forth.
Then i use Sound Forge/CD arch to do any other changing, like fade in/out and such.

Reply #97
I have SoundBlaster MP3+, but I don't have a good application to convert long MIDIs (4 minutes +, 14 channels) to WAV format. I need to put the MIDIs in a CD that I'm trying to burn. Would anybody be so kind to either tell me where to get software to do it or just send the software to me over e-mail at dkwon@uiuc.edu.

Reply #98
My twin brother does some song writing in Midi file, and since he hasn't yet been able to gather enough friends together to record them, he wants to record the midi files into *.wav files. I have this to say on the subject:

he tried the speaker-out to mic-in with loss of quality.

I tried the the midi-player to sound-recorder on my computer and it worked. On all the other computers, it didn't work. I tried running the program from mine over the network, it didn't work. Since my mom's work computer has a *great* sound card with some a good midi sequencer (is that what its called?) we wanted to do it on that computer, but to nno avail. I came to this conclusion: it depends on the sound card, since I know the sound card is closely linked to what type of things you can do with midi files (one midi file will even sound different with different sound cards).

p.s. for any writers out there, i have a great website (for you readers, too):
http://members.home.net/pocketfuz/newpage

for all those who like riddles, stories, jokes, and games, i have a page for you, too:
http://members.home.net/pocketfuz

Reply #99
DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CONVERT A .ZIP FILE TO A .WAV FILE??
please e-mail me.....