Skip to main content
Topic: not printing unused part of score (Read 8101 times) previous topic - next topic

not printing unused part of score

I would like to safe paper. To do so, I am looking for an option to NOT print all parts of the music score where instruments are NOT in use.
E.g. if the trumpet only plays in the first ten measures and the last five measures, I would not see empty staffs for the trumpet
(It should be fine if the printed staff lines (manually) are extended to its printed end of the line).

Re: not printing unused part of score

Reply #1
As it stands currently, there is not an automatic way of accomplishing this in NWC.

Reply #2
Lilypond does this, and providing the score is not too complex, my Noteworthy to Lilypond converter (Google NWCtxt2ly) will do the conversion automatically.

Reply #3
Something like that has been on the wish list for a long time.  The closest is to hide idle staves while printing a specific range of pages, taking care to be sure every page starts on the measure following the last one on the previous page.  Starting with a copy of the score you want to print, delete all previous measures (hint: change the color of everything in the front of the first measure you want to print on the next page on all parts, then delete it) on all parts and go to page setup to modify page number and measure number before starting to print with a different mix of instruments.  Also undo options that apply only to the first page.

Under the Edit menu there is "Copy Special" to create an image of a staff you can take to a program like "Paint".  Start in viewer mode for that.

As Eric said, "there is not an automatic way of accomplishing this in NWC."
Since 1998

Reply #4
As it stands currently, there is not an automatic way of accomplishing this in NWC.

Note the word I have italicized. There may be hope....

(Sorry, Eric, but trying to deduce what's planned for NWC's future often feels like reading tea leaves.)

Reply #5
Guido,

Layering should be possible when only a few measures are used.
Text-labels and stem directions can be used to indicate which instrument should play/sound.

Bart

Reply #6
That feature is now in version 2.5!!!!!  After you upgrade your current version (if you have not done so already), check out Richard Woodroffe's excellent in Getting to grips with the new features in 2.5.
Since 1998