Skip to main content
Topic: Accidental spacing (possible improvements) (Read 3025 times) previous topic - next topic

Accidental spacing (possible improvements)

A couple of chords from a published work:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Key|Signature:Bb,Eb,Ab
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:n0,2,n5,n7
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:n1,3,b5,6,n8
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
I understand why NWC puts as much space as it does between note and the nearest column of accidentals. There are leger lines to consider and since they may exist on a layered staff, NWC must always allow for them. I do not understand the spacing of the leftmost columns(s). Leger lines will never be a consideration. IMO, NWC would be improved if the leftmost column(s) were more tightly spaced.

NWC 2.5 allows text to replace these accidentals. Tedious, but a major improvement for printing. Playback suffers, since text is not highlighted during the note chase. Having some, but not all, accidentals highlight is most confusing, especially when using the standalone viewer. IMO, some thought should be given to note chase highlighting. My thoughts are:
  • an option on the visibilty tab to 'Highlight on playback'
  • an automatic highlighting of certain characters from the system font (noteheads, accidentals, articulations, augmentation dots, flags)
  • highlight anything placed 'At Next Note/Bar' that is not placed before a bar.

The attachment shows how G. Schirmer handled the chords.
Registered user since 1996