Skip to main content
Topic: Guitar markers (Read 18532 times) previous topic - next topic

Guitar markers

At the risk of asking a question that`s been asked ten million times - are there any reliable guitar phrasing markers available anywhere in NWC??      Many thanks.   stokots.

Re: Guitar markers

Reply #1
You posted this same question earlier in the "general" section of this forum and were asked for clarification. Posting it again, in the same form, in the "tips and tricks" section doesn't exactly clarify anything. I'm a guitarist, and I have to confess that I have no idea what you're talking about when you say "guitar phrase markers." If you're talking about general phrase markers - those long curves that look like slurs but cover more notes and may include slurs underneath them - then the answer is no. They can be faked, using a slur on a separate layer, but NWC does not support them natively.

Reply #2
You posted this same question earlier in the "general" section of this forum and were asked for clarification. Posting it again, in the same form, in the "tips and tricks" section doesn't exactly clarify anything.
I very much agree with William on this one.  Check an earlier thread.
Since 1998

Reply #3
Sorry folks - this should only have appeared in `general discussion`. I obviously hit a couple of wrong buttons.
I can`t believe you`ve never heard of phrase markers. They`re used for guitar, also piano or bass, when using chord symbols, to indicate any particular phrasing that needs to be followed. Appearing as a note, tail down, crotchet, quaver or minim, with a line angled to the right instead of a note head. 

Reply #4
Never heard them called "phrase markers", have heard them called "rhythm marks".
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
....or "strum patterns". There is no native support for these. Try the scripto - there might be a user font that contains them (check under "helpful files"). If so, you can insert them as text objects. They won't play, but at least you'll be able to print them out.

Reply #6
I can`t believe you`ve never heard of phrase markers. They`re used for guitar, also piano or bass, when using chord symbols, to indicate any particular phrasing that needs to be followed. Appearing as a note, tail down, crotchet, quaver or minim, with a line angled to the right instead of a note head.

Stokots, I suspect most of us think of phrase markers as a long arc drawn over several bars to indicate musical phrases.  In my lingo, what you describe are comping slashes, but I am not a guitarist. 

There is no native support for these. Try the scripto - there might be a user font that contains them (check under "helpful files"). If so, you can insert them as text objects. They won't play,

Bill, there's no native support, but there is a workaround - your idea of a text (normally it's good enough just to use a forward slash in whatever your page font is) placed before a note and set to align at the next note.  The note should be headless so all you see of the note is its stem.  Since a guitar plays chords, you could spell them out as ordinary notes in a chord made up of headless notes, but that could result in inconsistent stem lengths.  I'd just use single headless notes and mute them, then write the chords on a second staff, where all the notes are set to Show on Printed Page = never.

Reply #7
See my reply in `General Discussion`.