Skip to main content
Topic: Bar lines (Read 18052 times) previous topic - next topic

Bar lines

When I enter a score with a keybord I start with a blanc staff without key or Tempo assignment. I enter the notes (all quarters) using only the "white" keys.
Advantage: After completion you add the key to the staff and you only have to correct some notes which have should carry extra notation (like crosses etc..).
While entering notes with the keybord NWC adds bar lines automatically supposing you have a 4/4 measure.
To get rid of these bar lines you place a very big measure, for instance 100/4 at the front of the staff, and then with Tools, Audit, Bar lines you delete all the bar lines.
Then you remove this big measure and you have a staff without key, tempo assignment or bar lines.
Then you enter the correct Tempo assignment, edit the staff for note length and bar lines.

Writing it down gives the impression that it is a clumsy operation, but for me it gives the quickest results.

Re: Bar lines

Reply #1

While entering notes with the keybord NWC adds bar lines automatically supposing you have a 4/4 measure.

In my experience and according to the help menu,
bar lines need to be added manually during note entry.

Which version of NWC are you running, and how did you manage to configure it to automatically add bar lines as you enter notes?

Reply #2
In my experience and according to the help menu, bar lines need to be added manually during note entry.

David,  I think Brado is writing about the virtual keyboard within the NoteWorthy program, not a plug in midi keyboard.

If you use the virtual keyboard to enter notes, then indeed, the barlines are entered automatically.
Rich.

Reply #3
It seems to me that this tip is for those who want to enter notes via the virtual piano keyboard, but do not want the automatic bar lines to pop up.  There does not seem to be a way to directly disable these, so the fake time signature does the trick.

Note that the best time signature to use (i.e. the one that lasts the longest) is 128 over 1 (which allows 512 quarter notes before a bar line pops up).

Of course, hopefully after all notes are entered, one would simply edit the time signature to the correct value, and then audit bar lines to get all the right bar lines added.

If one does not want the automatic bar lines only because they assume 4/4 time (when the piece is otherwise), then one should simply add the right time signature to begin with, and bar lines will pop up exactly as needed in the final piece (except for pick-up note handling, which I'm sure is addressed in another tip :-).

Reply #4
I didn't realize that 99 was no longer the maximum number of beats per measure.  I've modified the attachment to n-tuplets vs m-tuplets User Tip accordingly (it needed 105).
Since 1998

Reply #5
Rich
If you use the virtual keyboard to enter notes, then indeed, the barlines are entered automatically.

Thanks! 

The help menu entry for bar lines probably should have this info added, although it's not something that would affect me.

Reply #6

David,  I think Brado is writing about the virtual keyboard within the NoteWorthy program, not a plug in midi keyboard.

I use a plugin midi keybord and Noteworthy still adds barlines! (Yamaha xyz) And I use the latest program.