Skip to main content
Topic: Playing NoteWorthy Tunes on a Modern Church Organ (Read 31898 times) previous topic - next topic

Playing NoteWorthy Tunes on a Modern Church Organ

Hi everybody, I hope someone can help me!

I have entered all 1011 tunes from the tunebook we use at church, onto Noteworthy.

At our church we no longer have an organist, so I've been asked whether there is any way my NoteWorthy tunes could help.

Is there any way I could play the tunes THROUGH the organ?  Not just through the organ's speakers, but ALSO using the instrument selections ON THE ORGAN.  If so, how would I do this?  Please tell me in idiot terms - I don't have much experience with computer music - what leads would I need, how would I set up my computer and the organ?

Regards

Stephen

Re: Playing NoteWorthy Tunes on a Modern Church Organ

Reply #1
Not my area of expertise, but I think it would depend on the organ. If it is MIDI-capable, then the answer is probably yes; otherwise, probably no. I'll leave it to others with more MIDI skills than I have to explore this further.

Bill

Reply #2
If you are looking for hymns this might be a good resource for the future.
Since 1998

Reply #3
Thanks Bill, yes I think the organ must have MIDI capabilities because they currently use a device called "George", a MIDI Accompanist which plays tunes through the organ, but has a very limited selection.  I'm hoping I could link up a laptop to the organ in some way so that I can play my Noteworthy tunes in the same way as "George" does!

Warren, yes it could be a resource for the future, but obviously I'd have to look into copoyright issues!

Reply #4
Warren, yes it could be a resource for the future, but obviously I'd have to look into copyright issues!
IIRC, they only transcribe hymns in public domain--don't look for contemporary praise songs or 20th century hymns such as "Lord, You Have Come to the Lakeshore".
Since 1998

Reply #5
It is a commecial site so I won't link to it directly but a Google Search for:
ncf+george+midi
will yield the relevant specs.

I started with: george+midi+hymn
Found site with: george+midi+device -handel

Strange. Keyed 1011 hymns into NoteWorthy, but new to this forum.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
Thanks for the replies so far... but does anybody know if I can play NoteWorthy tunes through an organ, and if so, how?  See my original post for more details!

Reply #7
G'day Stephen,
the relevant term is MIDI.  If, as you believe, the organ is MIDI capable, then it should be possible to play NWC tunes trough it.

You will need an external MIDI interface for the computer.  You may already have one, many Soundblaster cards used the game port to generate a MIDI interface.  You need a special cable to use it.  Otherwise, there are plenty of USB to MIDI adapters around.  I have an Edirol UM-1 (I think that's the right designation) that works well, but be aware that some MIDI capable instruments don't always work with every MIDI interface.

Having setup the MIDI interface, you then need to select it as NWC's playback device.  How patch changes are handled will need to be discovered through testing.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Something else to check, by the way, is if the organ will accept SD cards, memory sticks, or other external memory. If so, and if the organ is MIDI-capable, you can export your NWC tunes as MIDI files, put them on an SD/memory stick/etc., and import them into the organ that way. If it has a standard USB port, you could also use a thumb drive for this. You would have to experiment, as Lawrie suggests, to discover which instrument patches controlled which banks of "electronic pipes."

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #9
I have used NWC to play my digital piano.  I've connected directly to it from computer to piano with a MIDI cable (I had a special "Y" adapter that split out a game port on a music card into joystick and MIDI cables).  More recently I just use a 3.5" floppy (my piano is too old for USB :-) to transport MIDI files from NWC to piano.  The floppy (or memory stick or whatever) has the benefit of no cables to run and get in the way, and you can just pull up a song on the organ/piano without having to go to the computer (one can look like they're doing all the playing if one wants :-).  It's not hard at all to "export" NWC files to MIDI files, putting them directly on a floppy/stick or copying them there later.  I just don't know of any way to do "bulk" exporting of a batch of NWC files to corresponding MIDI files, so it could be quite tedious for over 1000 files.  Playback on your organ is dependent of the particular organ - an instruction manual would be quite helpful if you have it.  I hope the organists' union doesn't get wind of what you're doing.  :-)

Reply #10
I.too. am no expert!
Firstly I assume that we are talking about an electronic organ and most of these will have MIDI ports.  I believe that the basic problem might be that there is not a standard for the instructions to be conveyed to the organ to select stops. This will depend on how the organ was originally set up.
If the organ has a MIDI capability then it is almost certain that you can use a "sequencer" to record what you play on the organ and to play it back later, exactly as it was originally played. With dedication you can record a large number of hymns. Playing them is a matter of selecting the tracks and pressing PLAY.
But it is not as easy as often claimed to satisfactorily accompany a service with an automated player. A live organist is aware of the congregation and adjusts tempo and loudmess to suit, and of course the right number of verses has to be taken into account. Often a tune is used for more than one hymn, with different numbers of verses. This is not easy with an automatic player and an amateur button presser.

Tony.

Reply #11
Tony,

The way "George" the Midi Accompanist works is... the instruments required are selected on the organ (just as if a human was going to play it), the tune is then selected on "George", which then plays through the organ using the selected instruments.  It would be so handy if I could just unplug out of the back of "George", put the same plug in the back of my laptop, and play my Noteworthy tunes through the organ in the same way, but I fear it won't be this easy!  This is what I'm trying to find out from the experts on here - some helpful answers so far, but not a definitive one!!!

Stephen

Reply #12
G'day Stephen,
it should be exactly that easy.  perhaps even easier...

• You need to have a MIDI out on your notebook - otherwise how do you connect?  A USB to MIDI adapter is the go for this.
  • You need to choose this MIDI device as your playback device in NWC - |Tools|Options|MIDI (tab)
  • you can either:
    • Select the instruments on the organ and modify your NWC files to not set instruments (OR you may be able to set your organ to ignore instrument patch commands)
    • Experiment and work out how different instrument patches work with NWC controling the organ that way

Given that "George" is MIDI, the short answer is yes, you can.

Reply #13
I just don't know of any way to do "bulk" exporting of a batch of NWC files to corresponding MIDI files, so it could be quite tedious for over 1000 files.

There is a tool called nwc2mid.exe that does right that for the old NWC version 1.75.

For NWC2 you can use nwc-conv.exe.
You should already have this one for I think it's included in the standard package.

the instruments required are selected on the organ (just as if a human was going to play it), the tune is then selected on "George", which then plays through the organ using the selected instruments.

This is very easy to do: simply DON'T use any instrument change in your NWC score. That's all.
Otherwise you should create/get the correct itree for your instrument.
The user manual (usually an appendix) is your friend.

Reply #14
Can we correct the terminology here? I'm usually not so anal-retentive, but the use of "instruments" in this context is beginning to bug me. The proper term, for an organ, is stops. This is a holdover from pipe organs, where a stop actually stops the airflow to a rank of pipes; if you open the stop, you let the air into that rank so that it will sound. The phrase "to pull out all the stops," meaning to put all available resources into a task, comes from this - on an organ, pulling out all the stops means that every rank of pipes is sounding.

Why is this important? Because a "clarinet" stop on an electronic organ doesn't emulate a clarinet; it emulates a type of organ pipe called a "clarinet." The pipes controlled by a clarinet stop sound sort of like the clarinet you see in a band - hence the name - but they aren't identical. Likewise the flute stop, trumpet stop, etc. So the instrument patch names in the GM set (or any other soundfonts except those specifically designed to emulate an organ) are meaningless here.

When you play MIDI tunes (or NWC output, which is the same thing) through a MIDI-capable electronic organ, there are two possible ways the playback can be handled. Either the organ will read the patch numbers and play its own patches with those numbers, or it will ignore the patch numbers and just feed the pitch/tempo/duration/dynamics information to its MIDI interpreter, allowing the human operator to choose the registration (the stops through which the MIDI output is sent to the speakers). I don't know which method organ manufacturers typically choose, or if they leave the choice to the operator, but those are the choices they have.

I don't know if any of this is helpful, but I felt it was time to say it.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #15
Bill,,

I could not have put it better!

Tony (user of several organ fonts)

Reply #16
Bill,

you're absolutely right, but since NWC call them "instrument change" I used that expression for it seemed to me more immediate to grasp.

N.B. In Italian, the pipe organ stops are called "registri".
The straightforward translation is "registers", but the correct root is the meaning for "trim", "adjust", "regulate".
Guess why! ;-)

Edit: NWC denomination is correct for usually, as Bill wrote, that command really changes "instrument". But in the case of a pipe organ it just changes the organ sound.

Reply #17
G'day Stephen,
it should be exactly that easy.  perhaps even easier...

• You need to have a MIDI out on your notebook - otherwise how do you connect?  A USB to MIDI adapter is the go for this.
  • You need to choose this MIDI device as your playback device in NWC - |Tools|Options|MIDI (tab)
  • you can either:
    • Select the instruments on the organ and modify your NWC files to not set instruments (OR you may be able to set your organ to ignore instrument patch commands)
    • Experiment and work out how different instrument patches work with NWC controling the organ that way

Given that "George" is MIDI, the short answer is yes, you can.

Reply #18
G'day Stephen,
that is exactly the kind of thing you want.  As with any new hardware, follow the installation instructions and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Reply #19
Ok, I have my lead, so almost ready to go!

Just one other thing to ask - I sent an email to Viscount Organs (because the organ in question is a Viscount Jubileum 61) to see if they could give me any advice, and they said this in their reply : "The Jubileaum 61 is an early Viscount digital organ although it does have midi and you can playback music via the midi in socket.  Stop selection is a little more difficult. as stops are switched on and off via the system exclusive messages generated in the midi data.  This means there specific codes exclusive to Viscount for the stop program change facility, These are not published by the manufacturer.  But can be read via the midi out socket if you have the appropriate midi dissembler /assembler software. use of these codes must be accurate or irreversible damage could occur and permanently crash the cpu."

This is a bit scary because I don't want to crash the organ!!!  Anybody got any advice?  What would you do in this situation?

On Noteworthy, on the Insert --> Instrument Change screen, would I just un-tick "Send Patch", or should I try playing the tunes, as they are?

Stephen

Reply #20
stops are switched on and off via the system exclusive messages generated in the midi data.

Uh! Inserting SysEx messages is a PITA. NWC has no support at all for them.
You'd have to export the score to MIDI, then use a MIDI editor to add all the relevant stop settings...

This means there specific codes exclusive to Viscount for the stop program change facility, These are not published by the manufacturer.

Not published then, not published now: how kind!

But can be read via the midi out socket if you have the appropriate midi dissembler /assembler software.

Not a problem for me, but I think you're not a MIDI expert so it can be another PITA.

use of these codes must be accurate or irreversible damage could occur and permanently crash the cpu.

Either they want to scare you or they are such very, very, very bad programmers.
(What scares me is that such bad programmers do exist and are not rare at all!)

On Noteworthy, on the Insert --> Instrument Change screen, would I just un-tick "Send Patch", or should I try playing the tunes, as they are?

Being such an early MIDI device, I suspect it simply ignores the "instrument change" commands.
That way you manually set the stops as you prefer and then let NWC play.

Stick to it if you don't have much time to waste or find a true MIDI expert near you to help you.

Reply #21
G'day Stephen,
I think Maurizio has the right of it.

Afterall, George works.  If you are concerned, then untick "Send Patch" in the files.  NWC won't be sending SyEx very soon...

I would select my stops on the organ and go for it.

Reply #22
Ok, thanks guys for all your help, my next challenge will be finding a time when both me and the man with church keys can go and experiment!!!  I'll let you know how it goes!

Reply #23
Don't forget to say a prayer frist!

Reply #24
Ok everyone, I finally got around to trying out your advice today and linked my laptop with Noteworthy to the church organ, via a USB MIDI cable.  It was PARTIALLY successful!!!  I plugged everything in according to the instructions with the MIDI cable, switched on, loaded up Noteworthy, selected the USB device as my MIDI playback, and the organ played the treble and base, but NOT the alto or tenor.

Now, when I keyed in all the tunes on Noteworthy, I used 4 staves, one each for treble, alto, tenor, base.  The main reason for using a seperate staff for each part was so that I could select different instruments for each part (obviously for the purpose of playing on computer).  However, even when I used the "Layer with next" function to make 2 staves instead of 4, I still had the same problem!

So... I need to pick your brains again!!!  How can I get the organ to play ALL 4 "parts"?  Is it as simple as adjusting one of the settings in Noteworthy?  Your help will be much appreciated - the people at the church were really impressed with the fact that it partly worked, now we really want it to completely work!!!

Reply #25
I don't think layering will make adifference as to what plays - perhaps if you attached the test NoteWorthy hymn here, it might give some clues as to what needs to be done.
Rich.

Reply #26
I don't think layering will make adifference as to what plays - perhaps if you attached the test NoteWorthy hymn here, it might give some clues as to what needs to be done.

Sorry, but how do I do that on here?

Reply #27
When you reply, look at the bottom of the reply box and you will see additional options with a plus sign.
Click on the plus and then you will see an attach area with a browse button.

(You may need to upgrade to NWC2 User to do that though.)
Rich.

Reply #28
the organ played the treble and base, but NOT the alto or tenor.
The organ may not respond to all MIDI channels. Since you lack the specs, and most of the sites descibing the organ are in Italian, you will probably need to determine which MIDI channels work through trial and error.

Reply #29
G'day Stephen,
one question, does the organ respond to instrument changes from NWC or does it simply play the stops selected on the organ?

I'm guessing the latter, and I think Rick has hit the nail on the head.  If the is correct, you could try making all the staves playback on the same channel:
<Alt-Enter>|MIDI (Tab)|Channel (spin box)
on each staff.

Check out which channels the Bass and Treble use.  Perhaps make Treble and Alto use the Treble channel and Tenor and Bass use the Bass channel.  This assumes that the treble and bass are on different channels.  Otherwise, try putting them all on channel 1.  This assumes that the bass and treble already both use channel 1.

Reply #30
If it helps, I've now attached one of the tunes I tried to play when I tested last Saturday.

Lawrie, the organ ignored instrument changes and played the stops selected on the organ.

As you can see, the treble, alto, tenor and bass are channels 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively - so you reckon making them 1, 1, 4 and 4 would work???

One other thing I wondered about - I was studying the NWC user guide to see if I could find any clues, and when it was talking about recording organ to computer it said that while some systems need MIDI in plugged into MIDI out, some may need In plugged into In - would this make any difference in playback?  (I followed the instructions with my USB MIDI lead which said plug MIDI in into the MIDI out socket)

Reply #31
I've just remembered, as I mentioned in an earlier post, when testing on the organ, I tried the "Layer with next" function to combine treble staff with alto, and tenor with bass - so they would have used channel 1 and 3, but still only the treble and bass played, so maybe its back to the drawing board?!?!

Reply #32
I tried the "Layer with next" function to combine treble staff with alto, and tenor with bass - so they would have used channel 1 and 3
Layering does not affect playback.  That is why it is listed under Visual Staff Properties.

Reply #33
There would seem to be nothing in the hymn that would cause just two of the voices to play rather than all 4.
As others have said, it would seem to be more a case perhaps of which channels are accepted.

With this particular hymn if fact, I don't see any reason why all four voices should not be on the same channel.
On some hymns, you may very well need more than one channel, but not this one (but I stand to be corrected).

As a test, I would certainly put all four voices onto channel 1 and see what happens.  I would guess that you might get all four playing.

To change the channel, click on the staff, then hold down the ALT key and press the enter key while the ALT key si held down
The click on the tab labelled Midi.

Then change the Channel at the foot of the dialog box to 1 and click OK. Repeat for the other voices.

When you have checked all 4, you can review then all at once by pressing the R (Review) key where you can confirm that all 4 are on channel 1.

Let us know what happens.

Good luck

(The other thought that has just occurred - and remember that I do not know this organ or the interface - is that the organ may have a volume control on each incoming midi channel and that only channel 1 and 4 are auduble. Is that possible?  - just grabbing at straws)

Rich.

Reply #34
The attached uses channels 1-16 except for 10.  It might help the debugging effort.

HTH
Since 1998

Reply #35
Lawrie, the organ ignored instrument changes and played the stops selected on the organ.
Good, means that you don't need to worry about how the NWC file selects instrument patches.  Though, it might have been nice to have been able to select stops automatically in the NWC file...

As you can see, the treble, alto, tenor and bass are channels 1, 2, 3 and 4 respectively - so you reckon making them 1, 1, 4 and 4 would work???
Possibly, though before seeing that I would have guessed 1 and 2 more likely.  How many manuals does the organ have?  I wonder if each manual has a bank assigned?
Or perhaps channel 1 is the manuals and the channel 4 is the pedals?

One other thing I wondered about - I was studying the NWC user guide to see if I could find any clues, and when it was talking about recording organ to computer it said that while some systems need MIDI in plugged into MIDI out, some may need In plugged into In - would this make any difference in playback?  (I followed the instructions with my USB MIDI lead which said plug MIDI in into the MIDI out socket)
Yeah, I'm not sure about that...  MIDI out from one device goes to MIDI in of the next device of the MIDI chain.

I've just remembered, as I mentioned in an earlier post, when testing on the organ, I tried the "Layer with next" function to combine treble staff with alto, and tenor with bass - so they would have used channel 1 and 3, but still only the treble and bass played, so maybe its back to the drawing board?!?!
Layerin is a visual effect ONLY.  In no way does it effect the MIDI output, including channel selection.

Reply #36
Possibly, though before seeing that I would have guessed 1 and 2 more likely.  How many manuals does the organ have?  I wonder if each manual has a bank assigned?
Or perhaps channel 1 is the manuals and the channel 4 is the pedals?

The organ has one manual.  I wonder if you might have hit on something there - if channel 1 is the single manual, and channel 4 is the pedals that might explain why only treble and bass played - the bass did sound like the pedals were playing!.  So presumably I need to set staves 1, 2 and 3 as channel 1, and leave staff 4 as channel 4 to get the bass effect.

And thanks Warren for the channel test file - that could be handy!

Anything else anybody can think of to try if that doesn't work?  Finding spare time to tinker with the church organ isn't easy so ideally I'd like to get it working at the next attempt!!!!!

Reply #37
Makes sense to me. If the organ manufacturer is using one MIDI module for all the organs they produce, and if they produce some three-manual models, then one would expect the first manual to be channel 1 and the pedal board to be channel 4. I would, however, suggest one caution: check the actual channel numbers of the four parts. It may be that your bass line is actually on channel 2. This could happen, for example, if your work flow was: create treble staff, enter treble, create bass staff, enter bass, create alto (or tenor) staff...etc. NWC assigns channel numbers in the order in which staves are created, not the order in which they appear in the score.

Reply #38

The answer is very simple: you got some effect using your current cabling? You got it right.
If you swap the two connectors then you get... nothing at all!

most of the sites descibing the organ are in Italian

Yes, but with very little "technical" content, at least the ones I saw. Sorry.

Reply #39
and most of the sites descibing the organ are in Italian

If you have Google installed as a plugin to your browser, use its language tools to translate the pages.

You can do this with Microsoft's Live Search, too. 

I've used both of them, with Swedish and French to English.  While the result is not always perfect, it's better than using a handheld dictionary.  If I recall correctly, Google's tool allows you to suggest a better translation if it stumbles on a particular expression.

These online translation services are going to have a profound effect on our world as more and more people find out how useful they are.

Reply #40
I'm waiting for Star Trek's "universal translator", which allows everyone in the universe (not just our tiny planet) to talk English on the fly.  :-)

Reply #41
I'm waiting for Star Trek's "universal translator", which allows everyone in the universe (not just our tiny planet) to talk English on the fly.  :-)

<OT>
Apart from the Tamarians (having just watched the episode "Darmok") - maybe the babelfish would be better from Hitchhikers ?
</OT>
Rich.

Reply #42

SUCCESS!!!

Have just returned from testing your latest advice on the church organ and the hymn tunes play perfectly!

So thanks very much to all who have given their ideas and opinions to get this working!

Reply #43
Apart from the Tamarians (having just watched the episode "Darmok") - maybe the babelfish would be better from Hitchhikers ?

Excellent episode!  But the Tamarians "spoke" English too!  It just didn't make much sense (at first anyway), much like talk from politicians.  :-)  Did you notice the debut acting performance of Ashley Judd in that episode?!

I still prefer the unobtrusive universal translator over putting a creature in my ear.  :-)

I apologize for the fault in the subtitles.  Those responsible have been sacked.  Back on topic...

Reply #44
So Stephen,

Great news, now, what was the final configuration please?

Reply #45
Basically, all staves on channel 1.  Channel 4 on the bass seemed to work sometimes, and not work sometimes, so decided to make all of them channel 1.

I'm now ploughing through all 1011 tunes, changing all the staves to channel 1 - I know in theory I could do it as and when each tune is needed in the church, but it will save fiddling about before each service - I can just load up the tunes, and off we go!

Reply #46
I could provide a script for you that would make that change in all of your files with a single command if you want it.  I'm heading out of town now, but I could get it to you on Monday if it would help you.  I can only imagine otherwise you having to load over a thousand songs one at a time to make the change?!

Reply #47
I could provide a script for you that would make that change in all of your files with a single command if you want it.  I'm heading out of town now, but I could get it to you on Monday if it would help you.  I can only imagine otherwise you having to load over a thousand songs one at a time to make the change?!

Thanks for the offer - it would have been really useful, but at the same time I'm also adapting each tune file for church use - ie, copying and pasting the first two lines of each tune at the beginning (the church always plays an intro before people start singing), then adding a repeat for the number of verses required!

Reply #48
G'day Stephen,
Basically, all staves on channel 1...
Thanks for the update.

Reply #49
Glad we could be of assistance.