Skip to main content
Topic: Are the rumors true that you can no longer save as midi in unregistered? (Read 15172 times) previous topic - next topic

Are the rumors true that you can no longer save as midi in unregistered?

I've been hearing rumors of this over and over again. Is it true?

Re: Are the rumors true that you can no longer save as midi in unregistered?

Reply #1
File, Export is not available in the evaluation copy of NWC2.

Reply #2
When responding to a question by a user registered as a "Guest", I assume that any help I might offer needs to work on the unregistered version.

IMO, a major purpose of the General Discussion forum is to assist those considering purchase. It does little good to offer solutions that cannot be used or tested.

It would be helpful if a list of the restraints of the unregistered version were made available to to registered users in some convienent location.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Rick, I'm a little curious.  In this thread, who is registered as a guest, and how can you tell?

I agree with your idea to have a location to show what is not available without registering.  Perhaps a separate webpage with a simple table listing the features in side-by-side columns for NWC, NWCViewer (each version), NWC2Evaluation and NWC2Registered. 

Merry Christmas, by the way!

Reply #4
Rick, I'm a little curious.  In this thread, who is registered as a guest, and how can you tell?
No posters, as guests cannot post. Perhaps I should have written Member, not "Guest". The forum does get guests as you can see <here>.

Nijg is NWC2 User, NoteWorthy Online is Admin, you and I are Virtuosi.
It is listed beneath the poster's name. If you click on the name, it is listed as the Position:
To be listed as other than Member, one needs to have a registered copy of NWC2.

Reply #5
Wait, so you're meaning to say that now people have to pay to create midis!?!?!?

Is it possible for people to still be able to purchase/evaluate NWC 1.75c?

Reply #6
...people have to pay to create midis!?!?!?

Hi Kevin (Nijg)
Why the punctuation to indicate surprise or outrage?  Trial versions and shareware typically don't feature all the features , or are limited in some respects, such as being time limited, or printing messages on hard copy.  The developer has to make a living too.  As your website's name suggests you are a software (game) developer, wouldn't you agree that's fair?

If you can find a music notation program that is as easy to use, as elegantly simple, and that will allow you to create midi files for less than US$49, you should go for it, but there must be a reason you're trying out NWC.

Rick, I was confused, because Nijg's handle showed NWC User. Thanks for clarifying.  I couldn't find Guest under his name or in his profile.

Reply #7
Actually my name's Caleb. Kevin is my brother. We both run that website, my brother's the main owner, but I run a lot of it too.

Well I usually give out games I create for free, but I would agree that NWC does need to make a living, its just that I used to use unregistered 1.75c for many many years, and created midis for background music in my computer games, and some of the people that I provide background music for their games wanted to use NWC as well due to the "awesome songs (as they put it)" that I created. They, like I did, were short on cash so their expected to create midis, only to find out that unregistered NWC no longer allows exporting midis. I really don't find that there is much of an evaluation process going on if you cannot export as midi anymore.

I don't mean to sound harsh or anything, its just that I am kind of taken aback by NWC no longer allowing midi exports in unregistered.

Reply #8
You might look at it this way. You have used version 1.75c for many many years... You can hardly claim to be still evaluating.
If you like the program this much, and use it so extensively, and the price is as reasonable (very much so) as it is... well, you can guess what I am saying, right?
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #9
Caleb/Njig, perhaps there are freeware applications that will allow you to create and save MIDIs at http://sourceforge.net.

Reply #10
I used to use unregistered 1.75c for many many years, and created midis for background music in my computer games, and some of the people that I provide background music for their games wanted to use NWC as well due to the "awesome songs (as they put it)" that I created.
Try this freeware chain:
  • nwcfile->NWCViewer->MIDI-Yoke->MIDI-OX->logfile->t2mf->midifile

Took me about ½ hour to figure out. Once you are set up, it takes about 5 seconds plus the running time of the MIDI. An added bonus: fermatas and breath marks work. The midifile produced is nearly useless for import, but it plays just fine.

Very low overhead, ~4% CPU usage on my 500MHz machine using a hardware synth.

I really don't find that there is much of an evaluation process going on if you cannot export as midi anymore.
Some might consider NWC's printing capabilities worth evaluating :)

Reply #11
I gotta say, I'm with Rob on this one.  Years of use exporting MIDI is hardly an evaluation...  Just buy it.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #12
I gotta say, I'm with Rob on this one.  Years of use exporting MIDI is hardly an evaluation...  Just buy it.
Either Nijg did buy it or has managed to hack his forum membership. I'm betting on the former.

Nijg's question (if I may paraphrase) is:
  • How can I recommend this program to friends that need to sync MIDI's into their games?

A week's worth of "You can't" or "Just buy it, you'll like it" seemed unresponsive at best.

The method I outlined will hardly be use to the casual evaluator. I had hoped that it would be of use to someone with the computer savvy to produce games. Some of them, like Nijg, may buy the software.

Reply #13
A week's worth of "You can't" or "Just buy it, you'll like it" seemed unresponsive at best.

Hmm, perhaps, but there occasionally seems to be requests on this forum for ways to use NWC beyond the eval. limitations with no apparent intent to shell out for it.  This appeared to be one:

Wait, so you're meaning to say that now people have to pay to create midis!?!?!?

Well I usually give out games I create for free, but I would agree that NWC does need to make a living, its just that I used to use unregistered 1.75c for many many years, and created midis for background music in my computer games, and some of the people that I provide background music for their games wanted to use NWC as well due to the "awesome songs (as they put it)" that I created. They, like I did, were short on cash so their expected to create midis, only to find out that unregistered NWC no longer allows exporting midis. I really don't find that there is much of an evaluation process going on if you cannot export as midi anymore.
(Bolding mine)

The fact that Nijg has now purchased NWC is commendable - the fact he used it for "many many years" as an eval and seemed to be advising others to do so is disappointing...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #14
I should probably be noted that Caleb was describing someone else's situation. Caleb was a NWC2 Tester/User at the time of starting this topic.

Reply #15
I have to agree with Lawrie. I fully support the idea of freeware and open-source software, and use a great deal of it; but NWC isn't freeware, and it isn't open-source. It is a commercial product, and using it without paying for it is a form of stealing. The evaluation version of the product isn't there to give users a way to get it for free; it's there to allow users to test-drive the product and see if it will meet their needs before purchasing it (hence "evaluation").

That being said, I dislike crippleware and would rather see the eval version abort after a test period (30 days?) instead of being open-ended but incomplete....or else have the "evaluation" version renamed as the "lite" version and be very straightforward about its limitations as opposed to the "pro" (i.e., fully paid for) version.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #16
I should probably be noted that Caleb was describing someone else's situation. Caleb was a NWC2 Tester/User at the time of starting this topic.
Yeah I was about to say that. I am using registered NWC2 just fine, I'm just a little concerned about the people I'm recommending it to.

The comments here are great. I understand how you guys are explaining that it is not freeware. Even though I now understand what the motives behind unregistered NWC allowing MIDI exports is, I guess I can say I am somewhat ok with it. I am still kind of concerned about recommending it though, but I guess there really is nothing I can do about people short on cash...

Reply #17
.....it's there to allow users to test-drive the product and see if it will meet their needs before purchasing it (hence "evaluation").

That being said, I dislike crippleware and would rather see the eval version abort after a test period (30 days?) instead of being open-ended but incomplete....or else have the "evaluation" version renamed as the "lite" version and be very straightforward about its limitations as opposed to the "pro" (i.e., fully paid for) version.

Bill, please remember the choristers of this world!  In my Male Voice Choir we would dearly love to use the free-ware NW Viewer, but it is simply not adequate for our purpose because during home practice we need to stop, start and repeat passages and occasionally change tempo while we learn our words.  We use the "Cripple -ware" Eval version purely as a de-facto Viewer because it allows us to use these facilities.  We would be devastated if the eval version were to abort after 30 days.  OK by us to rename it the "light" version.

I and several others have put it on the wish-list to expand the capabilities of the very fine "Viewer", but until that happens the "Cripple-ware" is our only real alternative, although its capabilities are grossly under-used.

Bill

Reply #18
A long time ago, a friend asked me whether there was a program he could use on his computer to produce simple transcriptions of music that he could play when taking a service and there was no pianist or organist. I downloaded trial versions of more than 12 programs, ranging from the relatively cheap to the very expensive, and concluded that Noteworthy (1.75) was by far the best and not too expensive.  But I also decided that I would try it for my own amusement.  I downloaded the "Command Reference Guide" which also showed me what NWC could do and what it could not do.  I purchased the full version for what was a very competitive price compared with any other program in any way comparable  ,the only down side being that British Customs and Excise decide that I should pay a substantial duty for the privilege of receiving it and the British Post Office put their own fee on top for collecting the tax.
The point of all this is that NWC is affordable for almost everyone, especially when compared with sums that you pay for buying your PC and for internet usage.  It is not Sibelius and it does not cost more than a fraction of such programs.  You may wish that it did more but you cannot complain about what it does not do.  If you know of a better and cheaper program then buy it.

Tony

Reply #19
lol I just remembered that the reason why I was kind of upset about this. Its because I had just written 40 pages about how to make music in noteworthy, in hopes of it being some sort of tutorial type of thing.

Reply #20
I hope that I do not offend; it all depends on what you mean by making music with NWC, but the "official"  user's manual which comes with NWC2  and the "Command Reference guide for NWC 1.75" (which is available for download)   give very comprehensive advice on how tom use NWC.

Tony