Skip to main content
Topic: Vertical line in between to staves (Read 5248 times) previous topic - next topic

Vertical line in between to staves

Hello,

Is there any way to avoid the vertical line in between staves when preview or printing. I mean, I would like to have on my sheet music a stave with "chorus". Below that the stave/s of the "solo" and I would like not to see the vertical line nwc2 use to connect the staves. At least, not the one that would connect the "Chorus" with the "solo" ones.

Thanks
Ed

Re: Vertical line in between to staves

Reply #1
Not natively - digital whiteout perhaps?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
There are a number of "flavors" of staves, which can be set in the Staff Properties dialog box.  These include upper and lower grand staff (usually used for piano) and orchestral, all of which have bar lines which connect.  Then there is standard which does NOT have connecting bar lines.  Further, an upper grand staff only has bar lines connecting downward, and an lower grand staff, upwards.  So, look at the attached snippet.  The top and bottom staves are standard, the middle two upper and lower grand staff.  Additional standard staves (other than between the grand staff staves -- hum, I didn't try that, but you could -- will be disconnected. 

The same thing is true of orchestral staves, but you don't get the little hook on the upper and lower ones when there are other staves above and below them.  Deleate the bottom staff in the second example to see what happens.

Reply #3
Cyril, I believe Eduardo was referring to the line that connects the left-hand end of every staff in a system. That doesn't go away when you change staff types.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #4
Ah, quite possibly my misunderstanding, and if so I apologize for stating the obvious.  I will say that in my, somewhat limited, experience I've never run into systems which weren't at least connected on the left.  In a score with varying numbers of staves when one is "blank", (as most symphonic scores are) how would you know which staves belonged with which?  Labels after each system break?

Reply #5
What the request seems to have been for is the ability to print two scores on the same page.  The upper set, for the chorus, is connected by a left vertical line, but is not connected to the lower set.  The lower solo batch is connected within itself only but not to the upper set.

Reply #6
Thanks to all of you for responding me.

I see from the Lawrie´s answer that it is not posible, but just in case, here I try to explain it with more detail.

Let´s say I have a song with four voices at the chorus part. It is fine then to have the vertical line or orchestra or whatever linking the high voice with the others. Then the song goes into the "solo part" and it is now when I would like to see the corresponding staff with no link (no vertical line, orchestra,..) to the previous,  the ones regarding the chorus voices.

I believe my question could be seen in something as to have two different music pieces on the same sheet.

Ed

Reply #7
I think you are asking for something that has been on the wish list for a long time:  the ability to hide a staff (staves) when it is not going to be used for a while such as a solo appearing late in a piece or every other part when a cadenza is being played.  Right now there is no easy workaround for it.  Sorry.
Since 1998