Skip to main content
Topic: A VERY quick intro for getting started with VST - for dummies... (Read 111048 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A VERY quick intro for getting started with VST - for dummies...

Reply #50
Lawry,

God news from Belgium. In my first configuration tries, I must have screwed up my VSTHost. After making unavailable the old configuration (in C:\Documents and Settings\Bart\Application Data\SynthFont) and after unzipping again VSTHost in a new location, VSTHost is now accepting instrument-changes as sent by NWC just as you explained it should do.

Two major differences could have caused my problems:
(1) I selected the sinfonia synthfont (sinfon36.sf2), which is not a complete GM-soundfont and added also a second soudfont (WST25FStein.SF2) since this has a superb Grand Piano. I always used the same combination  when creating WAV/MP3 from Timidity or Synthfont. BUT: Tests have shown that for each channel you can define a specific synthfont file without corrupting the output. Even instrument presets are "corrected" with the midi commands from NWC, so these settings don't seem to hurt.
(2) Somewhere and somehow I also must have defined some bank configurations in VSTHost. This modification should be the reason why I experienced those strange effects. I'm quite sure now that this was my not forgiven mistake.

So, one caveat for all future users: do exactly as Lawry explains and don't play with different options in VSTHost unless you are prepared to get strange effects!

Thank you very much Lawry
Bart

Reply #51
G'day Rick,
IIRC you still run '98.  I mainly use this VST thingy on the vista notebook I'm using for testing stuff.  My main machine is XP and I mostly use the Yam. on it.

I think I'll spend some time testing a bit further with it.  Especially the ASIO stuff.

One thing I'm certain of, vista is the fattest, slowest OS I've ever seen, and I've been an IT professional for over 20 years - m$ should be ashamed of themselves for even thinking about releasing this pile of junk!
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #52
G'day Bart,
this is great news!

From here on, you get to play with what ever you want and learn more stuff - just as I will be.  This guide was only ever intended to get people started enough to be able to play with VST.

Reply #53
I have 2 bootable harddrives. 1 XP Home Edition, 2 Win98SE

With Win98, I can load up to 8MB soundfonts into my AWE32's ram. Within that limit, perfomance and sound quality are great. XP won't let me load soundfonts into my AWE32.

I also use Win98 for programming since it reboots in about 90 seconds as opposed to 3+ minutes for XP.

Eventually, I'll get a faster machine and say goodbye to Win98. It is getting difficult to go online with IE6. Google Chrome is so much better. Kudos to NoteWorthy for keeping its website friendly to old browsers.

I've been doing my NWC2->MIDIYoke->SynthFont->Headphones experiments on XP. Processor load seems to be the limiting factor. Useable for songs with about 5 channels, but no more.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #54
Just had a play on my office PC - no discernible latency.  Even with all 16 channels running.  No apparent performance difference between ASIO or Microsoft MME Sound Mapper...

Will have a look at my home PC tonight...

Even more convinced it's the crappy audio chip built into the notebook... :(  However, the m$ synth is fine - just sounds like garbage - and BIAB using the DXi synth is good too.

That's raises a point - perhaps it's actually a vista thing...  Has anyone tested this setup on a vista desktop with a reasonable sound card (read Creative)?  With and without ASIO?

Reply #55
OK, version 1.04 is up - just a few detail corrections, an alternative for changing UAC status (thanks Rich) and a small comment RE background/foreground priority based on Keith's experience.  I think this will be the final one.

As usual, same name and location:
http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au/SupportFiles/VST-ForDummiesLikeMe.pdf

Reply #56
G'day all,
for those that are interested, I've had a win with the latency problem on my vista notebook - new version of the guide to come.  When it's ready I'll post a notice...

Reply #57
Hi Lawrie
I am DEFINITELY interested. Will look forward to seeing what you came up with.

Regards
Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #58
OK, version 1.06 is up.  Warts and all, this IS the final version.  A man has other things to do..!  :)

I hope it is as useful to you as creating it has been for me.  Rich, you may add it to the Scripto at your leisure.

Considerable thanks to MusicJohn for his great efforts in proof reading for me, and the additional VST explanatory notes on the final page; most of which is his work.  Thanks also to Rich, John Ford, Keith and others for your input guys.

As usual, same name and location:
http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au/SupportFiles/VST-ForDummiesLikeMe.pdf

Reply #59
G'day all,
the final version of this PDF is now available from the Scripto.
Please visit: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Explanations for access.

The actual link is: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful/vstfdum.pdf

Thank you once again to all those who have helped with proof reading, ideas and errata.