Skip to main content
Topic: Admin Required to change User Tool Settings (Read 8473 times) previous topic - next topic

Admin Required to change User Tool Settings

Got the attached warning after Alt+F8 Alt+E:
Hardly suprising since I am running Win98SE. Blissfully, it only occurs once per NWC2 session.
Might it not be a better idea to save the 'modified timestamp' of nwc2UserTools.ini and issue a warning if the user tries to change the settings and the timestamp doesn't change?
Or perhaps examine the error that surely results from an attempt to modify a file without permission?

Edit: This has been fixed as of Beta 2.28
Registered user since 1996

Re: Admin Required to change User Tool Settings

Reply #1
I can't replicate the problem running WinXP Pro, but then I have admin privileges since it's my own computer.

Your message did reintroduce me to user tools, which I haven't really explored since they first defeated me in their early days.  The chord changer works nicely, and for some reason the user interface  seems better than it used to be.  The embedded help menu when you first activate any tool is really nice to have.

One suggestion, when the user selects help, there seems to be no direct return to the user tool interface without exiting the help menu and pressing Alt-F8 again.  I may be overlooking something, but if I'm not, I think a "back" or "return" button would be nice to have in the user tool help window.

Reply #2
The embedded help menu when you first activate any tool is really nice to have.
Which embedded help menu would that be? All I see is a 'WARNING' popup.

A 'Try again' button might have some use. More useful, IMO would be to have:
  • User Tool...
  • Run Last User Tool
Added to the (right click) Context Menu when you have a selection.

I'm not holding my breath. I'm still waiting for:
  • Select All
to be added to the Context Menu when there is no selection. It is on the selection Context Menu which, while potentially useful, makes considerably less sense. And it is such a simple change. I've done it myself with a resource editor, but I have to redo it every time a new version comes out.

Reply #3
Which embedded help menu would that be?
Hmm.  When I invoke Alt-F8, a user tool dialogue box opens, giving me a choice of user tools.  When I select one that doesn't immediately work, the dialogue window that pops open has the word help in it.  When I then press OK, a narrative opens.  That's the help I'm referring to.

Global mod is one example, when invoked on a new, empty staff.

Some tools just run right away if no dialogue is neeed, and an error message shows up if the tool has nothing to do.

I agree with your suggestions re Run Last User Tool Again and Select All.  While it can be tedious doing the same thing from one staff to another to another to another, I'd prefer Select All to only apply to the entire contents of one staff, rather than all the staffs.  Too much can go wrong if you've got a 15 or 25 staff score.

Reply #4
Thanks for the report. This message is not appropriate for Windows 95/98/ME, and shouldn't appear on these. This will be corrected.

Reply #5
A 'Try again' button might have some use. More useful, IMO would be to have:
  • User Tool...
  • Run Last User Tool
Added to the (right click) Context Menu when you have a selection.

This seems like a great idea. I'll look into it.

I'm not holding my breath. I'm still waiting for:
  • Select All
to be added to the Context Menu when there is no selection. It is on the selection Context Menu which, while potentially useful, makes considerably less sense. And it is such a simple change. I've done it myself with a resource editor, but I have to redo it every time a new version comes out.

I thought that this issue had been dealt with previously, but clearly not. It will be improved.

Beta 2.29 Announcement, Available Now

Reply #6
A new Last User Tool command, as well as existing commands User Tool and Select All, now appear in the right click selection context menu.

Reply #7
Eric,

Nice enhancements!  These will definitely cut down on the amount of time it takes to modify a score with a large number of staves in it.  Thanks.

Reply #8
I wasn't sure why I couldn't get either new feature to show up in the right-click context menu.  I was looking in the wrong places.

The new features seem to work well once I learned how to read - thank you Eric.  My difficulty was looking for them where I thought they should show up, rather than where you said they would be.

Is there any demand for a hot key to invoke the user tools so as to satisfy the keyboarders out here?

Reply #9
Still considering the keyboard options...

Re: Beta 2.29 Announcement, Available Now

Reply #10
Select All now appears in the right click selection context menu.
                 This has a nice side effect:

Press and release the Menu Key. Press A when the Context menu pops up. This will Select All

It also works in the lyrics window. The Menu Key is also known as the Application Key.

Reply #11
Am I missing something here? The last posting appears to be dated last year.

Tony

Reply #12
To answer my own question from last year:
Is there any demand for a hot key to invoke the user tools so as to satisfy the keyboarders out here?

just pressing Alt and F8 together calls up the user tool menu.

Reply #13
Quote from: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/help/HELP_ONKEYBOARD.htm
The following quick keys are generally available when editing a score:
  • Ctrl+Alt+F8 Repeats the last User Tool that was executed
  • Alt+F8 Used to invoke or configure User Tools
However, Ctrl+Alt+F8 and Alt+F8 are not the friendliest of key combinations.

If you have a selection, Menu, E and Menu, U (added in August of 2008) are much easier.

Reply #14
I've been using a Microsoft Natural keyboard for several years, and never knew what the menu key was for.  Thanks for that, Rick.

On my keyboard, Alt F8 is really easy, thumb on Alt and middle finger on F8.  But I have a big hand and a bent keyboard.  Ordinary hands and a normal k.b. probably wouldn't be so easy.

With the Menu E command, I can save you one keystroke in return, Rick.  You don't need to press Menu a second time to get the user tool.  You can get there if you've got a section highlighted just by Menu E U