Skip to main content
Topic: How to selectively hide? (Read 7729 times) previous topic - next topic

How to selectively hide?

v2.00

This should be pretty basic, but I can't figure it out.  I downloaded a simple piece of music.  The inputter entered 2 vocal parts on a single staff (rather than on separate staffs and then layering them).  As a result, there are odd combinations of notes and rests.  For example, a musically unnecesary eighth rest is lined up vertically with a quarter note.  How can I select only the rest and hide it?  When I select that vertical segment, the note gets hidden, but not the rest.  Thanks.

Re: How to selectively hide?

Reply #1
Not "basic" at all. NWC does not allow much editing of chords containing rests. Usually you have to re-create them from scratch.

If you are trying to turn something like measure 1 into measure 2 or 3, try this link: RestChords - hiding the rest

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th,Dotted|Pos2:1
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:-3,-1
|Bar
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,VertOffset=2000|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-2
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up
|Bar
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Up,VertOffset=2000|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-2
|RestChord|Dur:8th|Opts:Stem=Down,VertOffset=-2000|Dur2:8th|Pos2:0
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Thanks.  The page you referenced seems a little complicated.

A related question: I re-input the music (SATB) on four staves, then layered SA staves and TB staves.  Once you layer, it appears that you cannot select the lower of the notes of "chord" to change it (e.g., move it up or down).  Only the upper (top-staff) note is selected.  So I guess while I'm editing/reharmonizing, I'll need to unlayer, then relayer when I'm done?

Reply #3
Once you layer, it appears that you cannot select the lower of the notes of "chord" to change it (e.g., move it up or down).  Only the upper (top-staff) note is selected.
Often, you cannot select a layered staff by clicking on it, but you can use the PgUp and PgDn keys to move among staves, even when layered. If you give your staves descriptive names, you can see what staff you are on by looking at the right side of the status bar.

Reply #4
Excellent!  I also colored each staff, so when I change from one staff to another within the same layer, the color of the lines changes. 

Reply #5
I also colored each staff ...
That works, but it is like "training wheels" on a bicycle. It may help in the beginning, but you will soon tire of changing the colors back in order to print. In time, your eye will become sensitive to staff name changes on the status bar.

Reply #6
Suggestion deleted - doesn't do what it was intended to do.

Reply #7
Also, pay attention to the color of the notes you are working with, even if you don't change the staff colors. In the default NWC editor colors, the active staff (the one that can be edited) is blue; all other staves are black. When you layer staves, the active staff is always the one on top, so the staff lines are always blue. But some of the notes, rests, dynamic markings, etc. will be blue and some will be black. The blue ones are on the active staff and can be selected; the black ones are lower down in the stack of layered staves, and cannot be selected until you change which staff is active. As Rick suggested, the best way to do this is by pressing PG UP or PG DOWN. PG UP makes the next staff UP the active staff (which brings it to the front and turns its notation blue); PG DOWN makes the next staff DOWN the active staff. Watch what changes from blue to black as you press those keys, and you will know which parts of the notation you can edit and which you can't.

Hope this helps....

Bill

Reply #8
I agree with William and Rick but isn't it just easier to turn off staff layering while editing?

Reply #9
I agree with William and Rick but isn't it just easier to turn off staff layering while editing?
Not after you get used to it. Despite requests, there is no simple hotkey to toggle layering, nor is there a way to configure layering off only in the Editor. For some edits, like slur positioning, you need to be layered to see where the object fits in relation to the rest of the staff as it will appear when layered.

As I work with a song, and get more familiar with it, I find that I don't need to unlayer very often.

Reply #10
Hi Rick,

I agree a hotkey would be nice.  I don't find the lack of one to be a problem for me, since typing Alt-View-A is as quick as looking for a toggle key would be.  It's just one of those automatic key combinations that I don't even think about.  However, I realize the work you do is far more detailed and labour intensive than the notation I do.  Which just goes to show ya, this is a large community and we have different needs from time to time.

D.

Reply #11
I tend to be with Rick on this. Usually, when I'm working with layers, the reason is to make the printout look better, so I'm switching back and forth between the editor and Print Preview a lot, and it's a pain to have to turn off layering to edit and then turn it back on again to view the print output. Over and over and over. Rather than deal with this, I find it a lot easier to edit without unlayering. The main problem that shows up is when I have several non-note items in a row with "preserve width" turned off. The anchors are all gray. It's a different shade of gray for active and inactive staves, but it can be tricky to tell the difference at a glance, and I often end up grabbing the wrong one. At those times I usually turn layering off. But the rest of the time, it usually stays on.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #12
The main problem that shows up is when I have several non-note items in a row with "preserve width" turned off.
Find->By Category->Text Expression
Then F3 your way to what you want.

Reply #13
Despite requests, there is no simple hotkey to toggle layering, nor is there a way to configure layering off only in the Editor.

As very often happens, I second Rick's requests.

Reply #14
Hey, no fair, that was 3 months ago (grin)! 

I don't want to rethink it now, since I have to get up for work in a few hours, but I gather you're saying my suggestion doesn't work.  I'll delete it to avoid confusing others.