Skip to main content
Topic: Utility to list SoundFont Presets: sf.vbs (Read 24914 times) previous topic - next topic

Utility to list SoundFont Presets: sf.vbs

Not a User Tool.

After downloading, rename the file to: 'sf.vbs'. Create a shortcut to it on the Desktop and drag a SoundFont file on to it. SoundFont files have the extensions: 'sfx' or 'sf2'

The program will sort all the presets (instruments) in the SoundFont to a 'txt' file which it launches in whatever you use to view 'txt' files (usually NotePad). This makes it easy to cut and paste into your NWC patch file.

It also works as a 'SendTo' target for Explorer.

This is a RIFF file walker that can be used for 'rmi', 'wav' and 'avi' files. For large avi files, you may want to run it with CScript and increase the tag limit which I have set at 100 tags.

The most recent version is: sf101.vbs.txt <here>.
Registered user since 1996

Re: Utility to list SoundFont Presets: sf.vbs

Reply #1
G'day Rick,
got a troublem...

When I drag a soundfont file to the script I get a Windows Scripting Host dialogue with a table showing what look like they may be variables and numbers somehow associated to them.  In addition I get notepad up with "Cannot find the C:\DOCUE~1\...\...txt file" where the location consists of my users temp directory plus the temp file the script has tried to create...

Ahh, doesn't happen with ALL soundfonts (just did another test).  This time it appears I got the .txt file in notepad, but I have a WSH error giving me a "Permission Denied" error at line 50 Char 21 (Code 800A0046)

Just got one with a "cannot find file" error - this one has spaces and an apostrophe in the name (jeux d'orgues 2.sf2) - just had another with spaces and multiple periods in the name... (GeneralUser GS 1.4 BETA 3.sf2)

Looks like I'm not having much luck...

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
When I drag a soundfont file to the script I get a Windows Scripting Host dialogue with a table showing what look like they may be variables and numbers somehow associated to them.
That the diagnostic display.  It is a list of the tags in the RIFF. I changed it in ver 1.01 (below) so that it won't display for a SoundFont file.

In addition I get notepad up with "Cannot find the C:\DOCUE~1\...\...txt file" where the location consists of my users temp directory plus the temp file the script has tried to create...
Your machine is probably 6 times faster than mine, but it can't cope with your extra OS overhead. 500ms delay works fine in Win98. I increased the delay tenfold.

Ahh, doesn't happen with ALL soundfonts (just did another test).  This time it appears I got the .txt file in notepad, but I have a WSH error giving me a "Permission Denied" error at line 50 Char 21 (Code 800A0046)
Another timing problem. Hopefully the extra delay will fix this.

Just got one with a "cannot find file" error - this one has spaces and an apostrophe in the name (jeux d'orgues 2.sf2) - just had another with spaces and multiple periods in the name... (GeneralUser GS 1.4 BETA 3.sf2)
Arrrgh... Spaces in the filename. Fixed it by wrapping the filename in quotes for the '.Run()' command.

Try the attachment below. Thanks for testing.

Reply #3
G'day Rick,
Hmm, sumpin' funny goin' on 'ere - I had already replied to this message but it's gorn!

Anyhow, the new version works nicely on this machine at my office, I'll try it on the one at home tonight.

Thanks mate

Reply #4
G'day Rick,
Oops, didn't get to it last night - just tested on the home PC now - works fine on all the ones that failed t'other day.

Good tool, gives a very good idea of the patches available which one would otherwise miss - well done mate!

Reply #5
gives a very good idea of the patches available which one would otherwise miss
Thanks. The other SoundFont utilities/editors I tried gave so much info that what should be obvious can get lost.

Reply #6
Say Rick...  I was wonderin'...  How difficult would it be to expand this utility so it could create an itree?

Reply #7
How difficult would it be to expand this utility so it could create an itree?
Fairly simple to create a flat itree. But that wouldn't be much better than keeping the list in a window and just pasting the name and number in.

If you are going to use a soundfont extensively, you would want a structured itree. That would require an ability to read minds that is beyond my humble programming abilities.

Reply #8
Fairly simple to create a flat itree.

Yeah, figured that much.  Bu-ut...

...But that wouldn't be much better than keeping the list in a window and just pasting the name and number in.

If you are going to use a soundfont extensively, you would want a structured itree. That would require an ability to read minds that is beyond my humble programming abilities.

...it would at least take much of the drudgery out of creating a structured one - mainly just some cutting and pasting to do...

Reply #9
...it would at least take much of the drudgery out of creating a structured one - mainly just some cutting and pasting to do...

Or even create a psuedo structured itree by creating divisions at each bank change.