Skip to main content
Topic: NWC2 Beta 2.20 is now available (Read 12263 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC2 Beta 2.20 is now available

New features installed in this update include:

• The *.nwctxt format is complete; export, followed by import, should be a lossless operation, except for rounding errors
  • Fix selection highlight problem when using wheel mouse scroller beyond the scrollable extents
  • Fix selection and insertion point caret visibility when the active staff has been partially scrolled out of view
  • Fix multi-staff notehead alignment for split stem chords when the dominant voice is stem up
  • File, Print, Print range should use starting page number specified in File, Page Setup
  • Fix Export/Save As handling of filenames that include multiple dots (more than just the extension dot)

Currently, you can get the correct update from within NWC2 by going to Help, Access NoteWorthySoftware.com.

Re: NWC2 Beta 2.20 is now available

Reply #1
The nwctxt thing should be a real treat for me.
If anyone starts anything about lists and priorities, I will bring forward hellfire and brimstone.
In short: Thanks!
Rob.

Reply #2
*.nwctxt format is complete; export, followed by import, should be a lossless operation, except for rounding errors
Wow! That was a lot of work.     NWC2 goes metric :)

This should keep me busy for a week or two.
That will give Rob a chance to cool off before I post my list ...

I notice:
Quote from: Mozart.nwctxt
|Font|Style:User 1|Typeface:"Times New Roman"|Size:9|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
CharSet:0 could use an explanation.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
The CharSet comes from the Script box in the Font dialog.

Reply #4
Well, I guess that now that we have full .nwctxt (I'll have to work on more parsing work), maybe he'll next work on MXML support.
It would be nice to have that, but I guess now that we have NWCTXT, someone could write a full converter.  (Or it could be a communal project, well, it could be if we could agree on what language to use!)

Also, Eric, would you mind posting the full NWCTXT specifications up for the programmers here?  That would be even better then just having the format and having to decode it manually.

Reply #5
Note clusters line up properly at last. Wow!

Reply #6
Note clusters line up properly at last. Wow!
Could you post an example clip. I'd like to know what has changed.
TIA

Reply #8
I see. Another fine fix.

Reply #9
Thanks Eric,
  • Fix multi-staff notehead alignment for split stem chords when the dominant voice is stem up

This one probably has the greatest impact for me  :)

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #10
Also, Eric, would you mind posting the full NWCTXT specifications up for the programmers here?  That would be even better then just having the format and having to decode it manually.

Yes. Might that become available?

Reply #11
  • Fix selection highlight problem when using wheel mouse scroller beyond the scrollable extents
  • Fix selection and insertion point caret visibility when the active staff has been partially scrolled out of view
I can pronounce these bugs dead for Win98SE using a(n) USB HID-compliant mouse.

Reply #12
I've been converting a piece for brass quintet and piano from C score to conductor's score, so I've been using the staff transposition tool a lot, and it's suddenly struck me that - unlike my experience in the past - the accidentals are hardly ever having to be corrected. Is this an undocumented new feature of beta 2.20? If so, I applaud!

Reply #13
Nothing new in transpose lately...back in the old days, transpose worked differently. It used to do the equivalent of what is now known as Audit Enharmonic Spelling. It was changed quite a while back to preserve existing staff line intervals whenever possible.

Reply #14
How far back is a while back? The difference I'm applauding as I do these transpositions is primarily in enharmonics - I have yet to come across a single double flat or double sharp that should be the next note below or above instead. There have been a sharp or two that would be better rendered as flats, and vice versa, but most of it has been very clean. Maybe it helps that I'm transposing by a major 2nd or a perfect 5th instead of a more distant interval such as a semitone or a tritone.....?

Reply #15
Possibly here:

Version 2.0 Public Preview 1r.
  • Fix stem audit corruption of split stem chords (when notes in both stem directions have the same duration)
  • Fix inconsistent grace note property on RestChord items
  • Fix bar line audit detection of 128th or smaller duration offsets where the bar line should be placed
  • Fix Audit Enharmonic Spelling problem caused by Instrument Transposition

My datestamp on this is: Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Reply #16
Much earlier. I can remember it being changed possibly in the 90's, but certainly long before v2.00.

Reply #17
The "2.0 Public Preview 1r" change was caused by the Transposition field in the Insert, Instrument Change and its handling by Transpose.

Reply #18
A corresponding beta 2.20 release of the NWC Viewer is now available:

NoteWorthy Composer Viewer
http://ntworthy.com/nwc2/viewer.htm

This version now includes support for user selection of play back device.

Reply #19

A very slight problem which I don't know if it was there before this update - but became apparent when I was testing this release.

If I load a music file into the viewer  and play it. If while the file is playing I click on Tools / Options and just look at the values presented without changing anything, then click on OK, the file that is playing has all the instuments changed to piano (can't tell what patch - maybe 000 maybe 001)

This is not one of the instrument patches that is in the file because I tried it with a file that just had strings and it still changed it to piano.

Now you may say "What on earth do you want to do that for?" And you'd be right. But I did - and that is what happened. Repeatable.

In NWC (both versions), items that should not be used whilst playing the file are greyed out. Perhaps this should happen in the viewer. 

No great problem, just thought I'd report it.

Rich.

Reply #20
Thanks Richard. We intentionally chose not to restrict access to this while the file is playing. However, this should not happen if the device is unchanged, and a fix will appear in the next release for this circumstance.

Reply #23
(My reputation precedes me...) 

I think I'd call it a feature too, if it's a quick and dirty way to convert all the voices of an orchestral or band score to one sound.

Reply #24
NoteWorthy Composer Viewer http://ntworthy.com/nwc2/viewer.htm
This version now includes support for user selection of play back device.
But still not: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=4444.0
Oh well, I can dream can't I?