Skip to main content
Topic: Is there some way to include colors in the .nwc files? (Read 3573 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there some way to include colors in the .nwc files?

I have just discovered (something long known, I guess) that when you set the color for an item (say, a note) the .nwc file does NOT record the color, simply the name of a slot in the color table.  Thus, if you have changed the values of one or more of the color-table entries those changes are not included in the .nwc file, and someone else viewing the file will not the see the colors which were intended.

This raises two issues.

First, why allow the values in the table to be changed, if the effect is not seen by others viewing the file(s), and -- almost worse -- if the change effects ALL files you view on the system where the change was made, whether intended or not?

Second, where a non-standard color (in my case, white) is required for a work-around, how can I arrange that others viewing the file see the effect I am trying for?

This latter is rather important, I think.  We all know that there are shortcomings in the wonderful program.  All wishes cannot be granted.  But there are very often more or less kludgy hacks, work-arounds if you will, that can solve these.  But having hacks which require others to modify their color set-up seems a bit too much.  Particularly as this can't be done in the viewer.

Off to the wish list, I guess

Re: Is there some way to include colors in the .nwc files?

Reply #1
I've asked for this before.
I hear that NWC2 has 7 colors available.  Maybe the final release will have one of those colors set to white, and unchangeable.  We can only hope...

Reply #2
NWC2 has a full colour pallette. I hadn't realized the colours affect the entire program unlike fonts, which are set specifically for files.

I lean in favour of the colour settings being file specific if possible, although that creates complexities too.

Maybe the better solution is to have just a finite number of colours, fixed?

Reply #3
...a finite number of colours, fixed?
NO!
We need to be able to make our own choices (except maybe for the "white-out")!

Reply #4
Fixed-white (for "corrections") is a great idea, except that when I take my computer into the theatre, I swap to a "dark" colour scheme for Windows.  I end up with dark grey staves on black.  Fixed-white would then stand out like a beacon.

May I suggest fixed-colour-same-as-window-background?  This would be different from "invisible", as "invisible" doesn't mask whatever's behind it.

The NWC file would be one I'm playing in the theatre, but also need to print (thus the need for fixed-white).  It's less of a problem now for me, as I usually make WAVs and burn them to CD for the theatre, but I sometimes still use the computer for tech rehearsals etc, as I have more control with NWC.

(For those who are about to get upset about not keeping music live - yes, I prefer, and use, real musicians.  I simply use sequencing for rehearsing, especially complex dance numbers;  my piano playing really isn't good enough!)

For American-based English speakers, read "color" for "colour" and "gray" for "grey".

Reply #5
Ewan's suggestion makes good sense.