Skip to main content
Topic: HELP! NEWBIE TRYING TO RETREIVE UNSAVED STUFF! (Read 24489 times) previous topic - next topic

HELP! NEWBIE TRYING TO RETREIVE UNSAVED STUFF!

Oh My FRICKIN GOSH!!

So I'm doing this all-nighter right? And I have to hand in this BIG COMPOSITION task, for Music(der!), the next day right?
And in my sleep deprived state, just as I was finishing it off, what did I do next?

Well for some strange reason my hand reaches for the mouse and clicks the "X" button. (YES, the "CLOSE EVERYTHING YOU'VE DONE FOR THE PAST 3 HOURS" button)

[move]"This file has changed. Do you wish to save it?"[/move]

As the cursor headed towards the "YES" option a nasty old "8 on the Richter Scale" sneeze that was hiding for the past 3 hours suprised me and with a blink of an eye the cursor hit the "NO" button and I could do nothing to prevent it!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You do not know how close I am to killing myself right now!!! ;( So here I am now...I just signed up 2 minutes ago in hope of finding someone to make my problems go away...oh this isn't Lovematch.com??? LMFAO!! JOKES!

but BACK TO THE SERIOUS STUFF..YEH! Ummm, can anyone help me? I am DESPERATE!

Is there a way of retreiving unsaved data?

PLEASE!! I'M DESPERATE!!

*_^LEI-onsay siging off!

ps. sorry about the long "Life Story"...lol
psstt. as you can see I like to talk..can you guess what kind of student I am at school?? lol

Re: HELP! NEWBIE TRYING TO RETRIEVE UNSAVED STUFF!

Reply #1
Go to
Tools
  Options...
File
tab
You should see
Create Backup Files
If this box is checked/ticked, then you have not lost as much as you think you have.
You also should see
Frequency (in minutes): 15
so the most you could have lost would be 15 minutes worth of work.
You simply need to open the .bak file and most of what you've done will be there.
Now, if the box is unchecked...

p.s. If you don't use the mouse and press Y (for "Yes"), you won't need to worry about the unexpected sneeze, or the twitches that we older folks get...

Re: HELP! NEWBIE TRYING TO RETREIVE UNSAVED STUFF!

Reply #2
LEIonsay, congratulations for your good humour.  Anyone who reads your message will hear your pain.  We've all been there, in one program or another.

I can't really help you get your work back, but K.A.T.'s suggestion will hopefully help.

I suggest you get away from the mouse if you can.  It isn't the best way to input music in NWC.  If you go for keyboard entry, it's easy to make a habit to automatically, every five minutes or so, or when you've finished a particularly painstaking segment, use the key combination Alt-File-Save. 

If you're reworking something, use Alt-File-SaveAs instead, and change the file name.  Instead of My Best Song Ever.nwc, you would make it My Best Song Ever2.nwc.  The next time, My Best Song Ever3.nwc, etc. 

Then when you decide you don't like what you've notated the last hour or so, you can pick up from where you were a few files ago, rather than starting all over again.

Reply #3
I suggest you get away from the mouse if you can.  It isn't the best way to input music in NWC. 
But if your CAPSLOCK is stuck, you may have no choice.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
So, LEIonsay, did you rename the .BAK file to .NWC - and did you find your precious work back?

Reply #5

Alas, when the highlight problem occurs on my system, it occurs both on the keyboard and with the mouse.  Clicking anywhere else on the staff acts like a shift-click, and just expands the highlight form the initial entry point to the current one.

Re: HELP!  NEWBIE TRYING TO RETRIEVE UNSAVED STUFF!

Reply #6
Code: [Select · Download]
use the key combination Alt-File-Save
or Ctrl+S
You can also check/tick
Auto save/recovery
and set it for 5 minutes (or even less).

Reply #7
I suspect none of this will actually work.

Backup files are created only when you save your work and that means there is inherently a newer version saved as the .nwc file. So .bak files are a red herring in this instance.

Autosave files are strictly transitory. They appear (as .asv files) only when you have the working file open (and only after the autosave interval has elapsed). They disappear as soon as you close the file. So there isn't even an autosave file to fall back on.

Now this is a fairly common problem. I've done it when I've been working on one file and have opened another one from the newsgroup. Then I've close NW without heeding the warning message (thinking it applied to the NG file only) and whoops! Perhaps there ought to be an autosave graveyard (recycle bin?) where they can be retrieved at the last gasp.

Reply #8
Peter has described the current situation accurately.

Reply #9
So, LEIonsay, did you rename the .BAK file to .NWC - and did you find your precious work back?

Sadly..yes...

And when I found it

I had a second look and thought "Maybe it was meant to be deleted.." lol

just kidding!!

Nah, I went to sleep like, 20 minutes after I posted this up becoz no-one was replying..( :( I felt so alone..walls closing in..=P ) 

Hehehe...I went to school and this is what I said to the teacher:

"Miss..I'm messed up..real messed up..lol"

Naah..I did something worse, actually...

I BLAMED NOTEWORTHY COMPOSER!! I KNOW...how un-loyal of me!

I told her that I had just downloaded the trial version off the internet the day before (because we used to have the old version but then we got a new computer and we lost the disc..blah blah blah so I know how to create a song with it) *I actually HAD downloaded it the day before..so that part was true..but the rest was a pile of pooh!*  And then I said that I went to print it out but it only printed out 3 pages because there was a limit to how many pages the TRIAL VERSION could print...blah blah blah...

and SHE BOUGHT IT! She even gave me an extension..LOL

So yeh..now she's my favourite teacher at school! 

and yeh..thats my life story..

Stay Safe Rob

*_^LEI-onsay

Re: HELP! NEWBIE TRYING TO RETRIEVE UNSAVED STUFF!

Reply #10
Go to
Tools
  Options...
File
tab
You should see
Create Backup Files
If this box is checked/ticked, then you have not lost as much as you think you have.
You also should see
Frequency (in minutes): 15
so the most you could have lost would be 15 minutes worth of work.
You simply need to open the .bak file and most of what you've done will be there.
Now, if the box is unchecked...

p.s. If you don't use the mouse and press Y (for "Yes"), you won't need to worry about the unexpected sneeze, or the twitches that we older folks get...

OMG! THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THE REPLY!

Your advice has really helped me! 

Well..it could've helped me if I read your reply sooner and if I had the actuall software but I downloaded the trial version off the internet so I cant do the "Auto-save" thinga-ma-jig because blah blah blah..you know the rest...hopefully...lol

But I managed to notate a few ideas down and present it to the teacher on time...and yeh..if you read my reply to "Rob den Heijer" you'll know what became of my little scribbles.

and yeh..thats my life story..

HAVE A GOOD ONE K.A.T!

*_^LEI-onsay

Reply #11
LEIonsay, congratulations for your good humour.  Anyone who reads your message will hear your pain.  We've all been there, in one program or another.

I can't really help you get your work back, but K.A.T.'s suggestion will hopefully help.

I suggest you get away from the mouse if you can.  It isn't the best way to input music in NWC.  If you go for keyboard entry, it's easy to make a habit to automatically, every five minutes or so, or when you've finished a particularly painstaking segment, use the key combination Alt-File-Save. 

If you're reworking something, use Alt-File-SaveAs instead, and change the file name.  Instead of My Best Song Ever.nwc, you would make it My Best Song Ever2.nwc.  The next time, My Best Song Ever3.nwc, etc. 

Then when you decide you don't like what you've notated the last hour or so, you can pick up from where you were a few files ago, rather than starting all over again.

LOL..thanks buddy!

yes..I've learnt my lesson:

Mouse = Bad Keyboard = Good

Hey..is that you in the picture? You look like a professer or something...

okay, I'll be honest with you. When I first glanced at your picture..

I thought...

that..

it..

was..

a..

pirate..

IM SORRY!!! I didn't mean to think that...but that's what I thought I saw..(because it looks like your wearing an eye patch..not that I have anything against eye-patches..I think they're cool..not if you have a eye disease..than I am SOOO sorry for coming off as arrogant..i'll just shut up about it  right now...wait..now)

ANYWAYS...then I had a second look and thats when I thought that I thought that you looked like a professer type person.. ;)

SOOOO..I was wonderin if you could take a look at my composition..?? It's my own arrangement of the Aussie classic "Waltzing Matilda" *waves her lil Australian flag around..woo AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE!! OI! OI! OI!* hehehe...

and thats my life story..

CHEERS DAVO!

*_^LEI-onsay

Reply #12
I thought...that..it..was..a..pirate..

Yes, well, I started to develop a cataract in the patched eye last autumn.  My vision in that eye has worsened badly, but I expect to have it repaired next year.  I wear the patch when I get headaches from being out of focus in one eye and in focus in the other.

I'm not a professor, I just have a beard and glasses.  I'm an amateur musician.  Very amateur.  I don't mind hearing/looking at your chart, but you'd be better off posting it on one of the NWC Newsgroups, where most of the active reviews of works in progress take place by people who are far better qualified than me.

Reply #13
Sadly..yes...

<snip>

Stay Safe Rob

*_^LEI-onsay

I will try that, *_^LEI-onsay.
I came off my bike rather unexpectedly, a few days ago. The fork broke! That was not exactly safe... The bike is now a basket case, but I am practically unhurt. Just two grazed knuckles. Lucky me!

Reply #14

Oh, sorry...I missed your comment.

REALLY? what happens when your caps lock is on?

hhmm...Im going to go find out for myself right now...

and yeh..thats my life story...<<thats my "signing off" quote..lol

KEEP SMILING BUDDY!

*_^LEI-onsay

Reply #15
Yes, well, I started to develop a cataract in the patched eye last autumn.  My vision in that eye has worsened badly, but I expect to have it repaired next year...

I'm not a professor, I just have a beard and glasses.  I'm an amateur musician.  Very amateur.  I don't mind hearing/looking at your chart, but you'd be better off posting it on one of the NWC Newsgroups, where most of the active reviews of works in progress take place by people who are far better qualified than me.

WOW! I didn't see THAT comin! *pun not intended @ didn't see that coming...*

Cataracts aye? I had to do an assignment on that for Biology recently...how interesting...its like we were meant to meet..lol don't worry..I dont understand myself either..lol

Is it painful? And what kind of treatment are you going to be receiving?? Well when you DO have your operation GOOD LUCK! and don't stay away from the NWC-Community for too long..it just wont be the same without you...lol

OH HEY! My grandmother has cataracts too!! And she went in for surgery this morning..she's a tough old bird, my grandma is! lol

ANYWAYS...whats this NWC Newsgroups thing??

and yeh...thats my life story

*_^LEI-onsay

Reply #16
ah... the Nile has cataracts, too. A pain in the neck for short sighted boat-captains.

Reply #17
ahhh, i remember once, i was writing a song that i had started at the magical hour of 2 a.m, come dawn, i was still writing it and hadn't saved once yet. lo and behold the power went out.

Reply #18
It happens to all of us! When I write something new, now, I start by giving it a name. Every so often I press Ctrl-S, nearly without thinking.
No recent crashes or power outages, but hey, I'm prepared. At least on the NWC side.

Reply #19
fortunately i was able to recall most of the song from memory (as most of my songs are exceedingly simple). i was careful to save it, though i gave it a most blasphemous title

Reply #20
lo and behold the power went out

But that's precisely when autosave actually helps!

Reply #21
ah... the Nile has cataracts, too. A pain in the neck for short sighted boat-captains.
Particularly if the nearsightedness involves a cataract too.

To quote one website,
a cataract is a clouding of the eye's natural lens, which lies behind the iris and the pupil. ...The lens is mostly made of water and protein. The protein is arranged in a precise way that keeps the lens clear and lets light pass through it. But as we age, some of the protein may clump together and start to cloud a small area of the lens. This is a cataract, and over time, it may grow larger and cloud more of the lens, making it harder to see...

It's not painful itself but interferes badly with vision.  It's low risk day surgery and involves replacing the lens with a plastic one.  It's apparently the most common surgery done in North America, done about 1,500,000 times a year in North America. I know several people who've had it done and are amazed at how good their vision is now.   

It really sucks during band.  With bifocals, only part of the field of vision of my good eye can read the chart and watch the conductor.  Playing bass clarinet enhances the challenge since the crook is at eye level.  I don't use a spike, so the neckstrap restricts my movement a bit, interfering with my ability to change the angle I look at the music. 

More than you cared to know, I bet!

Reply #23
Small correction: NWC is currently USD $39 for new users

Reply #24
well you know me and spelling, guess it's spread to my numbers

Reply #25
So, Christian -

Start shelling...

What are you waiting for?  Everything else I've seen is $79 and up.

Most of the folks here will tell you that they've only shelled out once for NWC over many years.  If you're comparing NWC with other products before deciding what to use, you're going to find that after you've paid twice to 10 times the cost of NWC, just the annual upgrade price will probably be more than your initial outlay for NWC, and it will be many more years before you have to pay any more.

Just putting it into perspective.

John

Reply #26
oh, i've already bought it, my story took place in 2004. I am convinced that the particular shelling out of cash that got me the full version of NWC is the best value i've ever gotten

UNSAVED STUFF...RETREIVED!!! (Well..not really...but WHATEVER!)

Reply #27
WOO-HOO!!

LEIonsay here! Juss popped in to say that although I couldn't retreive my composition...I was able to remember most of it and just add on a few things so yeh...I would like to show you's but I dont know how to...sooo...how can I show you?

I don't want to just show you the Midi file...I want you'se to see the bullcrap I handed in for my major work...lol Constructive critisism is what I need people! I'm still knew to this composing thingo!!!

So yeh..is there a way I can attach the file as a NWC so you can open it up onto your program?? I'm no computer wizz sooo...HELP!

and yeh...thats my life story...

PEACE!

*_^LEI-onsay

ps. Would it open even though I'm using an Unregistered Version?? (hehehe..i'm soooo cheap! lol)

Re: UNSAVED STUFF...RETREIVED!!! (Well..not really...but WHATEVER!)

Reply #28
You can only attach files if you are a NWC2 tester.  To be one, you must obtain the full edition, and then register.

Reply #29
Particularly if the nearsightedness involves a cataract too.

To quote one website,
It's not painful itself but interferes badly with vision.  It's low risk day surgery and involves replacing the lens with a plastic one.  It's apparently the most common surgery done in North America, done about 1,500,000 times a year in North America.

It really sucks during band.  With bifocals, only part of the field of vision of my good eye can read the chart and watch the conductor.  Playing bass clarinet enhances the challenge since the crook is at eye level.  I don't use a spike, so the neckstrap restricts my movement a bit, interfering with my ability to change the angle I look at the music. 

More than you cared to know, I bet!

Buddy..I know all the statistics...I copied & pasted them onto my Cataracts Assignment..lol jokes!! *but REALLY...lol*

LMFAO@It really sucks during band....fark...you use Bifocals?? (mind you I only found out about them last month when I was rushing my assignment...that was another "night before" assignment too...luckily the mouse and I were all gravy then..) what do they look like? I'm too lazy to Google em'...lol

WOW! Bass Clarinet?? COOLY-OHS!! Whats that like? Is it harder than the Sax?? I play the Sax and OMG! It is sooo draining man!

and yeh..that's my life story...

*_^LEI-onsay

Reply #30
You can only attach files if you are a NWC2 tester.  To be one, you must obtain the full edition, and then register.

DAMN!!!

man..that's why it sucks to be cheap...LMFAO!!

so do ya wanna hear my song anyway?? lol

and yeh...thats my life story...

ONE LOVE...AND ALL DAT!!

*_^LEI-onsay

Reply #31
It is easier for everyone if messages are in some sort of standard English!

tony

Reply #32
There is a high pedant quotient around here (myself included at times), but don't worry to much.

The worst flames you'll get will be spelling or grammar correction, and if this 73 year old can follow you, I suspect most people can.

Do remember, though, that there are a fair number of non-native-English speakers here, so try to be kind to them.

You will (almost) never get a flame about content -- unless you run seriously off topic.  (The only flame-war -- and not to serious at that -- I can remember was on the newsgroup, when some one started to proselytize.)

It's nice to hear a young, and enthusiastic voice

Cyril Alberga

Reply #33
The bifocals are what I'm wearing over the eyepatch.  I didn't like the progressive ones, but the ones with the dividing line between top and bottom are fine.

The bass clarinet is not harder or easier than a sax.  It's different.  You can't play as loud, the tone is warmer than a sax, and it just feels nice to play it in the low register.   Fingerings are almost the same as a clarinet, except b.c. has more keys and alternate fingerings.  Keys are better placed than on a sax - the low Bb and B paddle keys and the 3rd line Bb "bis" key could be much better if clarinet technology was used.

The B.C. doesn't produce the same volume, but it generally has a greater warmth in the low register than the sax.  You need about the same chops as a bari sax to play it.  You can use a tenor sax reed.  A soft one gives the nicest tone down low, but makes it harder to play above the staff.