Skip to main content
Topic: Temporarily hiding staffs on orchestral scores (Read 3384 times) previous topic - next topic

Temporarily hiding staffs on orchestral scores

Has anyone been able to find a way to hide a staff in systems where it is inactive?  When I set the unneeded measures to invisible they are displayed as empty but till take up space on the score.  I've used noteworthy for over five years now and fourn that if anything docks it as an inadiquate program this is it.  Right now I'm working on a Wagnerian opera cycle where one piece of music can go on for half an hour and having all staves visible on the printed score at all times is more than just unwieldy.  Can anyone help?

Re: Temporarily hiding staffs on orchestral scores

Reply #1
See: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=5346.0
There is no way within Noteworthy.

When I must be able to do this, I save NWC output as a graphic file and post process it.

This is probably on the top 5 of most long-term users wish lists.

A complex method of hiding the top staff of the first line is attached. Read the info section for proper display. Alignment of measure 8 has been broken by this <bug>.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
A partial workaround might be to break the song into segments, using a different file for each.  Let's say you need 15 visible staves in the first part of the tune, only three in the second part, and 12 in the last.  Three song files.

File 1 has 15 visible staves, plus the typical title page information. Insert a section close at the end of this section, with a forced system break, to have it reach the right margin.

File 2 has 3 visible staves, no title page information, beginning bar number customized, etc.  Do the forced system break here too.

File 3 has 12 visible staves, and otherwise the same characteristics as File 2.

I haven't tried this, but if you do, and it works, let us know, please.

Reply #3
I haven't tried this, but if you do, and it works, let us know, please.
I have tried this, and it works.
I had to do the Rutter Gloria that way (it comes with a condensed score and my wife wanted a full.  I had to break it into 9 files to make it work.)

Reply #4

I have tried this, and it works.
Hot d___! I'm good, eh?  (;->)