Skip to main content
Topic: Errors in the MusikDings and SwingDings font suites (Read 4779 times) previous topic - next topic

Errors in the MusikDings and SwingDings font suites

This issue has been corrected. 
See reply 6 below for details, or just download the updated *Dings-V1d.ttf files in this zip file:

EDIT - This update is probably no longer needed - I will leave it up, but if you have downloaded any of the affected suites (SwingDings, MusikDingsSans and MusikDingsSerif) since the 3rd of September 2006, then you already have these updates as they are incorporated in the ZIP files you downloaded.

Install by first removing the affected font files from your fonts directory (normally c:\Windows\Fonts) and then copying these new files in their place.

The affected fonts are:
  • SwingDings
  • MusikDingsSans
  • MusikDingsSerif

Be careful not to remove any other SwingDings, MusikDingsSans or MusikDingsSerif fonts as only the 3 mentioned above are affected.

I highly recommend that you do NOT extract from the zip file directly into the fonts directory - I have seen this cause problems - unzip to another location and then copy the files to their final destination.

G'day all,
it has been brought to my attention that there are some inconsistencies in MusikDingsSerif, MusikdingsSans and SwingDings.

The problem is courtesy accidentals.  In MusikdingsSans and MusikDingsSerif the courtesy natural, sharp and double sharp are all 1 position lower than the insertion point, the flat and double flat are 2 positions lower.

Interestingly, SwingDings which both MusikDings files were modelled off are all only 1 position lower.

Hence, my dilemma...

If I modify all 3 suites to have them at the insertion point (which I'm happy to do - I don't know how I missed it in the first place :(   ) how will it affect other users.  No problem if there has been little use of courtesies so far but if there are works already completed it may be a problem for some people.

The MusikDings pair have not had the interest of SwingDings so modifying the flat and the double flat to make everything 1 position lower to match the rest is no big deal (IMHO). 

I might add that I intend to do at least this as the 3 suites are supposed to be completely interchangeable.  For this reason I'm reluctant to get them actually at the insertion point if it will affect users of SwingDings.

Comments anyone?

Sorry for the errors folks.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Errors in the MusikDings and SwingDings suites

Reply #1
I don't use MusikDings, but I do sometimes use SwingDings.

When I use NWC2SwingDings as the system font, it works fine with the notes without any workarounds...are you talking about the actual font SwingDings, or the entire SwingDings suite?

Reply #2
G'day Kahman,
the problem is in the actual SwingDings font itself.

I might add I'm very pleased to hear you're using NWC2SwingDings.  The suite has been downloaded several hundred times - don't know the exact number as some entries in the logs are from download managers that give multiple entries for a single aggregate download.

Reply #3
I'd say go for it, Lawrie.  It won't affect me, since I haven't run across a double flat or double sharp since starting to use your fonts, nor have I tried to use a courtesy accidental yet (forgot you had them).

Those who it will affect will probably be very pleased to fix it earlier rather than later.

You could just change the names of the renovated/fixed/repaired/aaggghhh fonts to end with -2 or something, and just have them supplement the others.  Warn the users that the originals should not be installed, but are being left available in case someone has already used them and needs to download them again.

DAvid

Reply #4
It is still early in the development phase. Best to get it right now.

My 2¢
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I agree that getting it fixed now is the way to go. I have used swingdings but have not needed any of the problems you mentioned. Haven't tried the others yet. If those are the only problems that slipped through on a project of that size you don't need to apologize, I want to know how you did it!!!!!

Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Reply #6
G'day folks,
ok, having taken these comments and those from the NG into consideration - especially as they coincide with my own preferences - there is now a patch for all three suites:
http://zoundz.pardyline.com.au/SupportFiles/Fonts/DingsUpdate-V1d.zip
contains a replacement *Dings.ttf file for each of the 3 suites.

EDIT - This update is probably no longer needed - I will leave it up, but if you have downloaded any of the affected suites (SwingDings, MusikDingsSans and MusikDingsSerif) since the 3rd of September 2006, then you already have these updates as they are incorporated in the ZIP files you downloaded.

The changes are:
  • The courtesy accidentals now insert at the same vertical position as the cursor - they used to be below.
  • There was a size discrepancy in the MusikDings* pair.  These fonts are designed to be set to the staff size and the courtesy accidentals were too small.

The individual suite ZIP files have also been updated so if you download them after you see this message then you'll have the latest revision anyway.

<snip>
If those are the only problems that slipped through on a project of that size you don't need to apologize, I want to know how you did it!!!!!

G'day Keith - actually, SwingDings is the one that took most of the work!  With a LOT of help and suggestions from the prople on the NG I put it together over about 18 months.  The first 12 or so were mainly by myself, then there was about 6 months of regular input from others. 

So how I did it was:  "With a little help from my friends"  :)

The MusikDings suites benefitted from the work done on SwingDings and came together in about 2 months or so - but I was sick part of the time so I guess that's how some oversights slipped in.

Re: Errors in the MusikDings and SwingDings font suites

Reply #7
You are still to be commended. I have worked on projects of near that complexity, professionally and for fun,  and know all to well how easy it is for discrepencies slip through. Thank you for all the work you did both on those and in anwsering questions with both knowledge and wit

Keith
Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Re: Errors in the MusikDings and SwingDings font suites

Reply #8
[glow=red,2,300]Blush[/glow]

Thanks Keith