Skip to main content
Topic: How to separate treble & bass staves from one staff w/ ledger lines (Read 5058 times) previous topic - next topic

How to separate treble & bass staves from one staff w/ ledger lines

I am trying to split a bass staff with many notes or parts of chords on leger lines which reach high into the treble staff.  How can I split that around middle C?

TIA
Since 1998

Re: How to separate treble & bass staves from one staff w/ ledger lines

Reply #1
I"m not sure what you mean by splitting the part, Warren. 

I've seen piano parts where a treble clef is inserted, then insert a treble clef when the part comes down out of the stratosphere again.  An alternative is to use a text 8va marking.

From the parts I've copied out, it seems trombone players are not unaccustomed to 3 or 4 leger lines, so it may not be a problem for them.

Reply #2
It is a piano acc. all on one staff and I would like to break all notes or parts of chords into the treble staff.
Since 1998

Reply #3
I seem to remember reading about a chord-splitter utility available (at the Scripto?),
but don't have time to search for it right now.
You could also re-import it with Maximum single track chord size set to 2.
Results won't be the best, but they may suffice.

Reply #4
G'day Warren,

It is a piano acc. all on one staff and I would like to break all notes or parts of chords into the treble staff.

Is this about it?

Export to MIDI (I used type0) then re-import,
Next,
Next,
Map each channel..., max chord 18, next,
Edit: First selection - Pitch C5 through G10, Second selection C0 through B4, Next,
Finish:
Voila

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Export to MIDI (I used type0) then re-import,
Next,
Map each channel..., max chord 18, next,
Edit: First selection - Pitch C5 through G10, Second selection C0 through B4, Next,
Finish:
Voila
Many thanks!  I had tried going through midi, but I couldn't figure out what middle C was.
Since 1998

Reply #6
I learned something replicating your results.  In a few places I had to move a note to the other staff to make it more playable, but the midi route saved a lot of heavy lifting.  Attached is the whole Bumblebee
Since 1998

Reply #7
G'day Warren,
something else I noticed...  In the original there were several instances of staccato notes that were re imported as shorter duration notes.  E.G bar 1 staccato minim chord, imported version crotchet chord.

There are several other oddities too.  E.G. Staccato quavers coming in as crotchets - should have been semiquavers to be consistent...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Another Tip: If you put a playing style: Legato at the beginning of each staff before export, the import is much cleaner.
Registered user since 1996