I'd like to be the first to say:-

Looks GOOD!

<Image Link>
Barry Graham
Melbourne, Australia

Re: New Forum - Nice look.

Reply #2
My, my!  look at all the new goodies...

[move]Lots of toys 'n [glow=red,2,300]stuff[/glow] [shadow=red,left]to[/shadow] play with![/move]

Lawrie :)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
This is great, Eric - very neat!

Just one query - where are the "previous" and "next" buttons supposed to take you? Pressing "next" seems to take one back to the last page of the previous topic viewed - I'm a bit confused! (probably creeping senility)

Thanks for all the gadgets - how do I insert a picture? (just playing)
Best wishes,
Ann

Reply #4
where are the "previous" and "next" buttons supposed to take you?

My experience is that "previous" takes you upward in the board topic list (using the default search order), and "next" takes you down the board topic list.

Reply #5
I appreciate the new forum and your efforts to stop trolls, but I'm gonna miss the old home brewed forum.  :-( This 3rd-party product will take a lot of getting used to. Anyway, I'm proud to be an NWC virtuoso :-D.

May I suggest that you make things at least resemble the main page?

<Image Link>
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #6
Just got here.   As has been said, a lot of nice toys which I'll look at in the future.   One thing that would be a useful addition, for me at least, would be a spelling corrector.

It is a little sad that to get rid of the pests we also lose some of the random, often OT, posts which have enlivened the forum.  Even "!ME!" had some interesting things to say, when he/she wasn't in a kicking, screaming tantrum.  Well, all things change, and in most ways this is for the better.

PS I'll be away from the 'net for most of February, so my postings here will be sparser than usual.

Reply #7
There are some technical issues with regard to enabling the integrated spell checker. For now, if you use something like the Google toolbar, you do have a client-side spell checking tool.

Regarding the "!Me!" posts, there are many indications that the "me" phenomenon was actually multiple persons.

Reply #8
There are some technical issues with regard to enabling the integrated spell checker.

Yeah I read about that on the company's web site.  Another client-side spell checker is built into every mac :-D.

P.S.  This forum software makes nice use of ajax!
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #9
[move] Pardon me for playing with the tools as I check them out. [/move]

I found it a little difficult to get in today, but that's normal for me.  I hope there will be a direct link built into the NWC and NWC2 help menus, as we had before.

[shadow=red,left][glow=red,2,300]Congratulations, Eric![/glow][/shadow] 

Reply #10
Hi Eric,
Once again thank you for doing this. 

Couple of suggestions:

1.  In recent months I have accessed the forums using this path:
Open NWC2
Help menu/Contact Noteworthy Composer
Arrive at NWC page, then select The NoteWorthy Composer 2 Forum.
Select Recent
Do my thing in that forum, then move to the regular (version 1) Forum using the menu at the top of the 2 Forum.

Getting into the forums this way is far more convenient from looking up a bookmark/favourite in IE Explorer.  It would be nice to have a direct link to the new online community site built into the help menus of both versions of NWC.

2.    It would be boost user convenience to have hyperlinks to the new online community set up on each menu in the noteworthy website and to have links back to the NWC site on the online community pages.

3.  When I opened this page a moment ago, I saw a number of entries were shown as having been Report to moderator Logged, but mine shows Report to moderator, and gives my I.P.  You should be able to access my I.P., but other viewers should not; that is a privacy concern.

4.  In my experience, lots of time writing a reply means looking back perhaps several times to earlier replies.  It would be nice if the Reply opened a new window for the replies, rather than changing the existing window to the reply window.  That way the all the earlier replies, as they originally appeared, would be quickly accessible without having to select "back" and risk losing a partly composed message. 

Many thanks
David

Reply #11
Oops.  How do I edit what I just wrote?

Reply #12
David:

• We will be updating our main web site, as well as product links, to facilitate quick access to this area
  • Your IP address is only visible to you and admins (click it and it will tell you this)
  • When replying, you can see recent earlier replies directly below your reply form (just under the Post button)
  • The Modify link will allow you to edit your post

Reply #13
Took me a while to figure out what happened to the forum.  Glad I found the new site.  Good work Eric.  I would agree with others about links to this new area to assit those folks like me who are a little slow at figuring out what's going on sometimes.

Anyway, let's also hope that this new process keeps user !ME! from following us and darkening our virtual doorway.

Reply #14
New links to this area will be coming soon.

This has been a classic chicken and egg problem. The area needed to exist and be fully functioning before true integration with the rest of our site could begin. We could not deploy this new area until all of the existing forum posts and user tips had been successfully converted. This process took significant resources, but now that it is done, more attention to NWC2 should be possible.

Reply #15
Just found this.  Glad to be here and looking forward to getting to know the new environment.

- John
John

Reply #16
The old forum was nice and quick and easy, now we've got all the rubbish, like XP, all the bloat. NOT GOOD!!

Reply #17
Nice look. Congrats, Eric.

Incidentally, will these new pages still be *searchable* via Google  ?

Reply #18
Incidentally, will these new pages still be *searchable* via Google?

The General Discussion is openly viewable, so it can be spidered by Google. However, from things that I have read in other areas, I gather that search engines such as Google give less regard to community areas such as this.

Reply #19
Oops.  How do I edit what I just wrote?

Usually there is a link for this (when logged).
Let me see...

[Edit] Yes, on the top right corner, there is a "Modify" button :)

I like this new forum capabilities, though what (among other things, such as the chrono order) I liked in the previous was that it didn't take too much room (one of the reason I don't like PhPBB forii! plus that they are ssllooww with too many database tables)).

And the user tips & NWC2 forum are also there, this is great :)

[glow=palegreen,2,300]Thank you Eric :)[/glow]
Do you plan to add (or create??) some mods? (I'm thinking of tabular and language mods)

Reply #20
Goodness me, this is quite a change. I agree with llucyy that there is 'bloat' now. I will leave the playing around with gadgets to others until later.

As far as requests are concerned: yes, a forum can be further improved, but I would prefer the improvement actions to be directed at Noteworthy 2.

But yes, it looks good, and quite usable. Thanks!

Reply #21
Thanks for your earlier replies, Eric. Some more questions/comments for your consideration:

1/
I know I'm going to feel stupid when I learn the answer, but where the heck is the Modify button?

2/
Is there any way to have each thread stay on one page?  This change page feature at the bottom is awkward. 

3/
The topic summary which appears below the window you write in while composing a message only contains a few of the messages in the thread.  It would be better to show the entire thread, because often a person will be discussing points raised by several contributors. 

Reply #22
G'day David,

Thanks for your earlier replies, Eric. Some more questions/comments for your consideration:

1/
I know I'm going to feel stupid when I learn the answer, but where the heck is the Modify button?

2/
Is there any way to have each thread stay on one page?  This change page feature at the bottom is awkward. 

3/
The topic summary which appears below the window you write in while composing a message only contains a few of the messages in the thread.  It would be better to show the entire thread, because often a person will be discussing points raised by several contributors. 

1 - Yeah, I can't spot it either...

2 - You can select the page at the thread entry point on the discussion area page and also at the top of each page in the discussion.  I can see the value in multiple pages, but I would like to see many more posts per page... perhaps as many as 30 given that few of our discussions seem to last that many posts.

3 - I like the idea of a new window/tab opening when the reply or quote link is clicked - like the old forum.  To that end I usually right click the link and select "open in new window"

Lawrie

Reply #23

1 - Yeah, I can't spot it either...

OK, I just found a modify button at the top right of my last post, but I haven't found one on any of my old posts.  Does this mean the option is only available for a short time?  What are the rules for availability?

Lawrie

Reply #24
This is just a test to see if I can see the Modify button.

I do notice you have to remember to log in in order to post; too bad that can't be automated.  I read down through the first thread, and on to the second page, tried to make this reply, and there was no button to reply with. 

Early days yet, methinks.  But once we get used to it, we'll be grateful...

Reply #25
Now I see it.  It seems to show up when I've logged in but not when I haven't.    Cool.

Reply #26
David,

You can set your computer to stay logged in all the time - as long as you don't consider that a security risk, of course.

Robin

PS: Yes, a thumbs up from me on the new forum - especially since it means I can now post on the NWC2 forum from work, not just at home.
Robin

Reply #27
Hmm.  OK, I've just logged back in after about a 13 hour break and I can no longer see the modify link on my last 2 posts.

Does anybody know when the ability to modify one's posts ceases?

Lawrie

Reply #28
Well, I don't see a Modify link on the post I made 4 hours ago - but then, I didn't notice whether there was one earlier.
Robin

Reply #29
If you have a "real" browser like Firefox, you can right click on the Reply button and open the Reply page in a new tab.

If you are stuck with IE, you can still do the same, but with a new browser window, as someone said previously.

Reply #30
We'll just have to see how this develops.

Reply #31
I sneaked onto the local university system to check E-mail. But I won't be doing any computer or music work for many months, so you won't hear much from me. This new community looks good, and I imagine it will repel the repulsive effectively. ("Repel the Repulsive" to the tune of "Begin the Beguine")

Reply #32
Wow, there are some [glow=green,2,300]cool[/glow] things [shadow=yellow,left]here[/shadow].
One change I do not care for, however, is the way the date is displayed.
February 03, 2006, 01:07:59 pm just seems so archaic,
while 2006-02-03 13:07:59 is not only progressive, it is more logical.
[move]I hope it gets changed back...[/move]

Re: New Forum

Reply #33
NWC Users will be able to customize the forum's date and time format via their Profile. Stay tuned...

Reply #34
I've noticed an inconsistency in the way that login is handled. When logged in, some threads think I'm a virtuoso, but others think I'm a guest. Definitely logged in (says so at top).

I was hoping to go through old posts, and remove links to temporary files that have long been gone. I haven't figured out how to edit old posts (if possible).

Reply #35
Robert, this behavior has nothing to do with whether or not you are logged into the site. If you posted anonymously in the old forum (in other words, you were not logged in), then those posts will be identified as posted by a guest. You do not own those posts, and will not be able to change them.

Posts that you own can be changed, but at the moment, they should have a time limit on them.

If you have a differing experience, perhaps you could include links to the topics in question (either links to the old forum post, or to topics in the new converted area).

Reply #36
I am not happy about the size of my password and its format. For almost every other forum or Internet contact I have been able to use the same 6 letter ( no numbers) password.  Now to get here I have  to remember something different.  That may be OK for regular users but for occasional visitors like me it is a bind.

Tony

Reply #37
Thanks for reply 35, NWC. That explains the behavior. In the past, even when posting as Robert A., I was rarely "logged in," so for all practical purposes it was anonymous.

Passwords

Reply #38
Tony, if you access the forum from your own computer, consider:

• keeping a copy of your password in a secure location
  • setting your login to forever, then simply never logout

Reply #39
Thanks for the upgrade to NWC Virtuoso!
Additional question about logging in:
If I go to my local Community Center to use the computer (having MAJOR trouble here at home these past few days [glow=red,2,300]GRRR![/glow]) and log off when I leave, will that log me off at home also?

Logout

Reply #40
If I go to my local Community Center to use the computer (having MAJOR trouble here at home these past few days [glow=red,2,300]GRRR![/glow]) and log off when I leave, will that log me off at home also?

No. Logout clears the cookies set when you logged in.

When logging into this site (or any site) from a community computer, you should always logout/clear any cookies before disengaging from the computer (or risk compromising your account).

Reply #41
I am not happy about the size of my password and its format. For almost every other forum or Internet contact I have been able to use the same 6 letter ( no numbers) password.  Now to get here I have  to remember something different.  That may be OK for regular users but for occasional visitors like me it is a bind.

Tony

I agree Tony.  To have to remember different passwords for each site visited is a bind.  Sites that insist on a certain combination of letters and numbers, large and small case are, in my opinion, going over the top.  It might be okay for a bank !

To see a change would be ‘music in my ears.’  :)

Reply #42
I actually use this forum system for my own forum. Its free! and it comes with this theme! www.simplemachines.org

Reply #43
I would not recommend using the same password at multiple web sites, since any security breach (or bad behavior on the part of one of your sites) would compromise your password everywhere.

However, the password mechanism here has been relaxed. We strongly recommend that you use a password that protects the integrity of your account login, but it is ultimately your choice.

Reply #44
Additional changes to the forum include:

• The ability to edit any of your old posts, without a time limit
  • Any member can post to any of the message boards that are visible to them, including those dedicated to NWC2

Reply #45
Additional changes to the forum include:

• The ability to edit any of your old posts, without a time limit
  • Any member can post to any of the message boards that are visible to them, including those dedicated to NWC2
Thank you.

Reply #46
Will we be notified of a change (and/or will the "New!" flag appear) when a really, really, really, really old post in a thread gets edited by someone?

- seb

Reply #47
Has something changed?  I find that the headers in front of the links to the various fora are now all in the "there's something you haven't seen" mode, even though there are no "new" flags showing.  I'm sure this wasn't the case a couple of days ago.  Am I missing something?  (Quite possible!)

Reply #48
Well, now, on exiting the Noteworthy site and returning the books are closed.  But there were no "new" flags when I came in before but the books were open.  And, there was no "new" for my previous post.

Reply #49
Hi Cyril, two things:

• For guests (not logged in), the folder icon that is used is always the "in color" version, and clicking it always yields the list of topics in that board (this was changed in the past week to reduce confusion for unregistered visitors)
  • When you post, the SMF software does not mark a board as having new content, since you are the one that posted it

In my experience, SMF will tend to show the new content folder icon even after you have read everything. It will also tend to work better if you review your unread topics each time you visit. If you visit without reviewing your unread topics, it is prone to resetting this state for your next visit.