Skip to main content
Topic: 2 against 3 or 3 against 4 (Read 5572 times) previous topic - next topic

2 against 3 or 3 against 4

How do you enter 2 beats in the right hand, against 3 beats in the left hand? Or 3 against 4? Or 4 against 3? etc. etc. Also, how does one bracket 4, like in a triplet? When I put a bracketed 4 (manually) in the right hand, with 3 against it in the left, the bar lines go crazy. Hope this makes sense.

Re: 2 against 3 or 3 against 4

Reply #1
It makes sense, but there's nothing no can do about it. NWC isn't sophisticated enough for that. If you talking piano music, I don't hink you can fix this. If you're talking individual parts, then print out the parts and touch them up by hand. Other alternatives - print out as a file and touch up in word or Ami Pro. I had groups of 7 16th notes against 2 eighths, and I couldn't resolve it. With an odd group of 5 or 7, you'll have to brace 2 + 3 or 4+3, and put a triplet figure over the group of three in order to make this line up with other parts. Then again, the price is right.

Reply #2
In 4 4 time:

2 against 3: 2 quarter notes against 3 triplet quarter notes

3 against 4 (or 4 against 3): 3 triplet quarter notes against 4 eighth notes (or 4 eighth notes against 3 triplet quarter notes)

In 3 4 time: (NO TRIPLETS NEEDED)

2 against 3: 2 dotted quarter notes against 3 quarter notes

3 against 4 (or 4 against 3): 3 quarter notes against 4 dotted eighth notes (or 4 dotted eighth notes against 3 quarter notes)

As Kent said, anything past 4 is pretty much impossible for NWC. I hope that helps with your problem!

thanx
-roncli

Reply #3
I'm Kuni.
Please visit my site.
The address is
http://www.i2.i-2000.com/~kunijetm
It's a new idea for the core of modern culture.
It can change the way people feel.

Sincerely,

92 (Kuni)

Reply #4
is there anywhere on the net that i can get 3 triplet quarters against four quarters in 4:4 written?

Reply #5
How do you need it?  ie, in a gif, nwc or what?  I might be able to do it, but I'd need to know what you need exactly.

Geoff

Reply #6
Making a note a triplet reduces its time by 1/3.  Turning three quarter notes into triplets will fill up only two beats.  To fill up a 4/4 measure, you need a trio of half notes.
Since 1998

Reply #7
Following on from Warren, you can do three half notes "tripletted" (select all three and press Ctrl-T) for three against four.
Two notes against three (say in waltz 3/4 or jig 6/8) can't be done using a duplet - as NWC only does triplets natively. Best bet for 2 against three is to simply dot the notes. Looks a little strange but is legit.

Reply #8
For appearance (and ease of interpretation) though, a dotted note should only start on a beat.  Therefore you'd use a dotted quarter, then an 8th tied to an undotted quarter).