Skip to main content
Topic: slower play back though midi connection (Read 3240 times) previous topic - next topic

slower play back though midi connection

Hello,

I'm looking for the option/control to reduce the speed of notes of program player. I know it might sound odd I learn letter notes and I need to have slower slower control of playback.

Re: slower play back though midi connection

Reply #1
It sounds as if you want to slow down the tempo (speed) to use NoteWorthy as a rehearsal aid to learn a piece of music.  If that's the case, the free NoteWorthy Player cannot change the tempo or any other qualities of the piece.  It can only play the piece back as the composer saved it in the NoteWorthy file.  The full version, whether trial or registered, can change the tempo.  Use Page Up or Page Down to find a 1 measure staff with a tempo marking above it. (looks like: <note> = 100, for example)  Highlight the tempo marking with the mouse, right click on it, click on Properties and change the tempo number to the desired speed, then click OK.  Anytime you change ANYTHING in a NWC file, when you close the file you will be prompted whether you want to save the changes.  Save them if you liked the tempo you ended up with and don't want to go to the trouble of going through the steps above again.

Reply #2
If you are not trying to create or edit music, but ONLY want to have a pre-made MIDI file play slower (or faster), then you may be able to hack the MIDI file itself.

A MIDI file is not a plain-text document. But I am told that there are some free utilities (probably command-line DOS) that can disassemble a MIDI to plain text. You can hand-edit the tempo, then re-assemble the text back to a playable MIDI file. The necessary edit(s) to the plain text file are not too much of a brain strain.

Browse the Internet for something like "Midi disassembler" and see what you find.

If you want to actually edit (or create) music, in sheet music form or MIDI, then you want a program like NWC. In fact, I originally got NWC for the purpose of rehearsing songs.

Note: Back in the days of vinyl records, I would occasionally take a 45RPM record sung by a female voice, and play it at 33RPM so that it was more or less in my vocal range. That affects both pitch and tempo. With MIDI, pitch and tempo are independent.

I don't suppose anyone knows of a MIDI player with a tempo-adjust feature? Seems like the kind of thing karaoke singers would want.

Reply #3
I don't suppose anyone knows of a MIDI player with a tempo-adjust feature? Seems like the kind of thing karaoke singers would want.

Indeed I do. VanBasco's Midi/Karaoke Player allows relative tempo adjustment in real-time, as well as transposition and volume. Lots more features. If Microsoft knew how to write software, something like this would be the Windows midi player.

Reply #4
I used to have something on my old machine that could do this,
I think it was called Voyetra.  You could change the tempo, have only one track play, or three tracks or whatever.  You could adjust the volume and pan for each track.  I kind of miss it...