Skip to main content
Topic: Finished Software? (Read 3532 times) previous topic - next topic

Finished Software?

I recently was made aware of the following article: https://josem.co/the-beauty-of-finished-software/  (I will pause here while you read the article. Don't worry, it isn't very long).

Of course, it made me think of our favorite music score creating program (well, mine anyway), which a number of people have been calling abandonware, because there haven't been any updates in several years. Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to see an update to NWC at some point; there are a few features that would be nice to have (I won't list them here), but I bet there are a lot of users are perfectly happy with the current version and have no desire to upgrade to something new. In fact, I am told that there are a lot of people who are still using NWC 1.75 and have no need to update to the current version.

So, just some food for thought. Is NWC finished software?

Re: Finished Software?

Reply #1
Basically, I agree. But I'd like to have bugs fixed when discovered.

Reply #2
Basically, I agree. But I'd like to have bugs fixed when discovered.
Well, I have been doing my part by fixing bugs in my user objects :)

In fact, one could argue that the user object feature has allowed NWC to be updated multiple times since its last release.  Although I keep telling myself that there aren't any more useful objects to be written, some still manages to release a new one now and then that I find useful.

Are there any significant bugs in the released version that haven't been fixed? I am aware of one minor user-object-related bug that was fixed in 2.8 beta 1, but I also recall that the beta introduced a different change of behavior that broke several user tools.

Reply #3
Are there any significant bugs in the released version that haven't been fixed? I am aware of one minor user-object-related bug that was fixed in 2.8 beta 1, but I also recall that the beta introduced a different change of behavior that broke several user tools.
Didn't we have a list somewhere? The one bug that bugs me is that slurs with an invisible marker are shown visibly after the next line break after a repeat bar (the workaround is to plaster in multiple invisible slur markers; so yes, it's only a nuisance and nothing "significant" :-).

H.M. 

Reply #4
Hmm, interesting concept.
I guess my greatest concern relating to NWC is future compatibility.

Given we haven't heard from anyone for so long, and the complaints I've read on occasion from people frustrated by the lack of response when specific administrative problems have occurred, I can't help thinking that eventually we will be faced with a new OS version that simply will not support NWC anymore.  I almost dread this as I've looked at other products, mainly out of curiosity, and confirmed that while they often seem to have some desirable features not in NWC, they don't hold a candle to NWC's usability.

As far as bugs, I'm not aware of any, at least none that affect me...  Aside from my stupid computer that loses the plot with my cursor keys and half the numeric pad every so often.  While this impacts me greatly in NWC, I sure the cause is something else that I haven't identified that is external to NWC.

RE the article, as far as Wordstar is concerned, it was the very first word processor I ever used and it was always, IMHO, superior to Word when Word was eventually released..  My first encounter with Wordstar was in late 1983 or early '84 in a CP/M80 environment on a machine whose *name I can't even remember.  I also was first exposed to Multiplan at the same time.

<edit> * I remember now, it was an ECS 4500 - I believe the ECS was a TLA for Electronic Control Systems, or it may have been Electronic Computer Systems.  Pretty sure it was an Australian company.  They ran Z80 processors rather than 8080s IIRC
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
I bring my opinion as a simple user, completely ignorant of programming.
I have purchased music notation programs over time: Sibelius (First), Finale (Print Music). I've tried various versions of MuseScore.
For what my opinion is worth, no one has the agility (pass me that term) of NWC.
If we then add the availability of expert users, whom I thank here, what more could we wish for? It would be a real shame if NWC disappeared from our monitors. I hope the elusive Eric (is that him?) listens to us.
Thank you and good day.
Lorenzo

Reply #6
I'd say the biggest risk we run is that MIDI stops working. Microsoft seems pretty committed to backwards compatibility, and NoteWorthy Composer runs like a dream under Windows 11 for ARM, which I think bodes well for the future.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #7
Well... my comment was in general, not targeted specifically for NWC.
And even less targeted to Mike!

Reply #8
I bring my opinion as a simple user, completely ignorant of programming.
I have purchased music notation programs over time: Sibelius (First), Finale (Print Music). I've tried various versions of MuseScore.
For what my opinion is worth, no one has the agility (pass me that term) of NWC.
If we then add the availability of expert users, whom I thank here, what more could we wish for? It would be a real shame if NWC disappeared from our monitors. I hope the elusive Eric (is that him?) listens to us.
Thank you and good day.
Lorenzo

I agree with you. No other score software shows the same flexibility and ease of use as NWC, IMO.
Especially for composing purposes, I never found a better software.

Reply #9
This is one of my favourite topics! I have been using Nwc for 20 years as a composer, and my fingers quickly know how to achieve what needs to be done from the engraving standpoint. I love the workaround solutions that this community has devised! They are our many that I don’t use because of the time that it requires for me to build new neural pathways!

I do not want to take time to learn new software, because I would rather spend that time creating new music! I did have to use Sibelius for a publishing project, and it was a very frustrating and slow process that reinforced my appreciation of Noteworthy Composer.

I will say that Sibelius scores seem to be prettier, in terms of fonts, and the way the notes look on the page. Is there any way to change that? I figure the answer is no, or someone would have done so already.

It would also be cool if the program automatically told me what is not possible for an instrument to play! That would save time for me having to consult my instrumentation and orchestration textbooks. I do not know if other programs do that.

I do feel a little bit of an inferiority complex when I am around other academic composers, though. At this point, it is not enough for me to care or make a change of program.

I would welcome more discussion about composition techniques, rather than engraving, which other software music forums probably offer.

I dictated this text into my phone, and apparently I spoke in a passionate way that required a lot of exclamation marks.

Reply #10
<snip>
I will say that Sibelius scores seem to be prettier, in terms of fonts, and the way the notes look on the page. Is there any way to change that? I figure the answer is no, or someone would have done so already.
<snip>
Hey buddy,
 I assume you've seen the alternative font suites I created for NWC?

If not, look here:
https://noteworthycomposer.com/uc/pardypack/index.htm

Reply #11
Thanks Laurie

Yes, I have the font suite and use it sometimes for swing pieces. It would be nice to have other options too.

Reply #12
Hi Seb,
have you looked at MusikDingsSans and MusikDingsSerif suites? 
There are 3 typeface suites installed by the installer, the Swing/Jazz/Handwritten style you seem to be referring to, BUT there are also Roman style serif and aa more open sans-serif style suites too.

Reply #13
Lawrie wrote:
As far as bugs, I'm not aware of any, at least none that affect me...  Aside from my stupid computer that loses the plot with my cursor keys and half the numeric pad every so often.  While this impacts me greatly in NWC, I sure the cause is something else that I haven't identified that is external to NWC.

I bought a new computer last summer with Windows 11.  It has been a constant f#$%@!!! nightmare ever since, with everything freezing, programs hanging or malfuntioning, , etc. 

I haven't noticed much of a problem with NWC though. 

Reply #14
Do you mean Windows 3.11?  :))  :))  :))

Reply #15
Well, DOS 3.0 is what I think I began on.  I'm not sure I adopted Windows until the version before its Millenium edition.  MS has certainly produced some turkeys.