Skip to main content
Topic: Slurs or ties direction (Read 4164 times) previous topic - next topic

Slurs or ties direction

Good morning,
in my scores the direction of the stem of the notes is always this: first tenors "up", second tenors "down", baritones and basses equally. Here's my question.
When it comes to inserting ties or slurs, is it possible to give the "up" or "down" direction BEFORE inserting the slurs or ties and for the entire length of the score? In other words, is it possible to set the direction of slurs or ties INDEPENDENTLY of the direction of note stems?
Thanks to you.
Lorenzo

Re: Slurs or ties direction

Reply #1
If I understand you correctly, then what you can do after you have entered all notes:
  • Select everything on the staff ("Home", then "Shift-End"),
  • open properties Alt-Enter,
  • there will be a few/many tabs - go to the "Notes" tab (you might have to scroll with the small arrows at the upper right),
  • and now you can set the Slur and Tie direction for all notes at once.
  • "Ok" closes the dialog and saves your selected directions to all notes.
Now, all existing ties and slurs, and also all that are added later, use your selected directions.

H.M.

Reply #2
Lorenzo, please take care: the suggestion from HM works
after you have entered all notes
i.e. a posteriori, not as you maybe expected.

Reply #3
(In the preparation of my message I had written: "There is a solution: select everything and give the desired direction to the slurs in the "notes" field". Then I deleted this part  :)) ).
I wish I could do this BEFORE, i.e. set the direction of the slurs (ties) independently of the direction of the stems. Eg: if I write the bass part, stems down and slurs/ties down too. Am I asking too much? The solution you proposed (and which I still use) remains valid, even if it is a bit more laborious.
Furthermore, sometimes the slurs (only the slurs...) thus obtained have a horrible appearance, they look like bird traps...
With patience you have to use the markers to accommodate them!
Anyway thanks.
Lorenzo

Reply #4
I have a user page Stem and Articulation Avoidance here that Rich is hosting on NWC Scriptorium. That and Layered Note Avoidance might help layered parts look better or keeping slurs from looking like a fish or a lens.
Since 1998

Reply #5
I have a user page Stem and Articulation Avoidance here that Rich is hosting on NWC Scriptorium. That and Layered Note Avoidance might help layered parts look better or keeping slurs from looking like a fish or a lens.
I tried, too complicated for me, the language is also involved... I would like to get this without corrections.

Reply #6
Been away, sorry for the delay.

Try choosing Slur. from Persistent Note Tools at the bottom of the Notes dropdown menu,.