Skip to main content
Topic: AddRestMeasures (Read 6711 times) previous topic - next topic

AddRestMeasures

The reason I wrote this tool is this topic.
This tool add 'rest measures' to every visible staff that has less measures then the active staff. Each 'rest measure' contains a copy of the corresponding measure in the active staff, replacing notes, chords and restchords with rests of the same duration.
Edit 03/05/2020: hidden staves remain unchanged
Installation: download the attached script, start NWC, open any file and drag anddrop the downloaded script onto the NWC window.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Re: AddRestMeasures

Reply #1
This tool add 'rest measures' to every staff that has less measures then the active staff.
Does it affect ALL inactive staves, or only the visible ones?

I ask because I use templates that often have many more staves than I might use for any particular work and filling staves I'm not going to use would be something of a nuisance I reckon.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thank you so much!  This is going to save me a lot of time!

Reply #3
Does it affect ALL inactive staves, or only the visible ones?

I ask because I use templates that often have many more staves than I might use for any particular work and filling staves I'm not going to use would be something of a nuisance I reckon.

Yes, it affects all inactive staves. May seem a nuisance, but who cares? Do you?
I could add a dialog to indicate the staves (not) to be affected, but that would make the tool less handy.

Reply #4
Maybe just a single question whether to include hidden staves. Is there a way for a user tool to have a parameter passed in on the command line, so that the tool won't prompt for it when it is run? That would allow people to customize it so it doesn't ask questions that they will always answer the same.

Reply #5
Maybe just a single question whether to include hidden staves. Is there a way for a user tool to have a parameter passed in on the command line, so that the tool won't prompt for it when it is run? That would allow people to customize it so it doesn't ask questions that they will always answer the same.
I think that's possible. I'll look into it.
Any suggestion for the command line parameter, something like 'hidden=no'?

Reply #6
IMO, the tool should only affect visible staves. A command line switch is not really needed.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
IMO, the tool should only affect visible staves. A command line switch is not really needed.
Any other opinions? ::)

Reply #8
OK, Rick, I follow. One can always unhide a staff, if needed.
New version in original post