Skip to main content
Topic: Layering Keyboard Shortcut (Read 4021 times) previous topic - next topic

Layering Keyboard Shortcut

I would find it really helpful to have a keyboard shortcut for layering. Does it exist? If not, can it be developed?

Re: Layering Keyboard Shortcut

Reply #1
F11 will toggle between Edit and Viewer mode. Unless you have layering disabled in Page Setup, this will toggle layering.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
I don’t want to go into viewer mode but toggle between layered and unlayered in edit mode using a keyboard shortcut.

Reply #3
If you are using a keyboard macro program such as AutoHotKey, you can assign a hotkey to the sequence Alt-V, A, which will toggle layering by way of the shortcuts in the menus. Or if you don't mind typing Alt-V, A manually, that would also work (you can type it as Alt-V, Alt-A so you don't have to let up on the Alt key, if that is easier to type). You can also take advantage of the Alt "sticky key" feature by typing Alt, V, A as separate keystrokes.

Reply #4
I don’t really know anything about macros and hot keys but Alt V A is doable. Thanks!

Reply #5
I'd rather like to have a shortcut to switch between visible (default) and hidden and vice versa without having to manage the dialog box every time...

Reply #6
There's a clickable toggle in the Toolbars.  It looks like a single horizontal line meeting a vertical line which has two horizontal lines running from it.

If you don't see it, right click on a blank space in your File toolbar to call up the menu,  select Toolbars, then select File and Customize.  Move "Layering in Edit Mode" from the Available tools window to the Active tools window.

Reply #7
Yes, I do use the toggle switch and this is a good feature to have but I find I’m using keyboard shortcuts more these days. It’s quicker and more comfortable. I’ve discovered the Alt V A Shortcut and am learning to use it.

What would really be useful is a shortcut for open Book icon where you set up margins and fonts, etc.

Reply #8
Yes, I do use the toggle switch and this is a good feature to have but I find I’m using keyboard shortcuts more these days. It’s quicker and more comfortable. I’ve discovered the Alt V A Shortcut and am learning to use it.

What would really be useful is a shortcut for open Book icon where you set up margins and fonts, etc.
If you are willing to use a 2-key shortcut with the Alt key, there's a shortcut for everything. For Page Setup (the book icon) you would type Alt-F, G.  You will notice that opening Page Setup "remembers" whatever tab you were on last, which is probably a feature rather than a bug.

If you would like to have single key shortcuts for these or other functions, it's possible to add them using a program like AutoHotkey. Or, if you have a fancy keyboard that allows custom key macros, you could assign the proper codes to one of your unused keys to make it do what you want. If you are interested in pursuing this option, message me privately and I can walk you through the steps (since the people reading this thread are probably getting bored on this topic).

Reply #9
Thanks. I’ve started using the keyboard shortcut and it’s great.

Is there a shortcut for “save as”?

Reply #12
If you are willing to use a 2-key shortcut with the Alt key, there's a shortcut for everything.
Use Alt-ch to open the menu-item of with the first character = ch (So "Alt-f" will open the File submenu).
Then look at the underlined character of the submenu you want to use and press that key (So "Alt-f a" will open the  "save as" dialog box).
Remark: opening a menu directly from the menu bar won't show underlines characters, but some of them mention a alternative shortcut.
So you don't have to memorise all shortcuts, but the ones you use frequently will be anchored in the memory of your fingers.

Always look on the bright side of life!