Skip to main content
Topic: Primer for writing NWC Objects? (Read 3747 times) previous topic - next topic

Primer for writing NWC Objects?

I am trying to grasp the trill object and while I understand parts of it, I am a long way for having a handle on it.  Is there a primer or template for creating an object to add, remove, or change what NWC would normally show or print?  Same for what happens during playback?  Is there a library of functions with instructions on how and when to use them?

TIA
Since 1998

Re: Primer for writing NWC Objects?

Reply #1
I am trying to grasp the trill object and while I understand parts of it, I am a long way for having a handle on it.  Is there a primer or template for creating an object to add, remove, or change what NWC would normally show or print?  Same for what happens during playback?  Is there a library of functions with instructions on how and when to use them?

TIA
Hello Warren,

As the author of the Trill.ms object (and a bunch of others), I can tell you that I wish there were a tutorial/primer for creating objects. The forums here are where I learned to write them, by looking at others' efforts. In the beginning, it was mostly @NoteWorthy Online, @Rick G. and me, although others have come on board since then.

There is documentation online which describes the API, which you can find here, but I assume you have looked this over already. Maybe if you have specific questions about Trill.ms, I can try to answer them. I won't pretend that my code is the easiest to follow, and some of the objects have evolved over time as new functions and capabilities were added to the plugin object API. For example, when the trill object began, it only knew how to draw them. Later, I added the ability to play them, and still later, I added the logic to allow trills to wrap to the next system. That last one was probably the most complicated to implement, and also the hardest to explain.

Let me know if I can help.