Skip to main content
Topic: Can I change the space between the lyric lines? (Read 4659 times) previous topic - next topic

Can I change the space between the lyric lines?

Hello everybody,

I have a question to you guys: is there any possibility to increase the space between the lyric lines in a piece with several verses? I would like to make it a little easier to read the different lines, so I think it would be helpful to have more space in between the lines.
I suppose there isn't any possibility to do this with a regular program function, is there?
But I could imagine there could be a way using a little user object. Is there someone who can help me?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Re: Can I change the space between the lyric lines?

Reply #1
But I could imagine there could be a way using a little user object.
You imagine more than I can.
Fonts exist that have a larger than normal line height. You could find one (or alter an existing font with a font editor) and use it.

For a crude separation, you can put each verse on its own staff and manipulate the Lyric offset. If you want to use the VerseNumbers.ms object, it will need some special attention as well.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Hi Rick,

good idea to put the verses on different staves (could have thought of it myself though...) :-)
Thanks for your quick help!

Reply #3
Or you can skip the even lyric lines and only use lyric line 1, 3, 5 ...
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #4
For a crude separation, you can put each verse on its own staff and manipulate the Lyric offset. If you want to use the VerseNumbers.ms object, it will need some special attention as well.
This approach has an added advantage if you have a song with different syllable counts in each verse. You can alter the melody on successive verses to accommodate. This will also give the more correct lyric alignment for tied or slurred notes.  (I would include an example here, but I am on the road right now and don't have my full NWC setup.)