Skip to main content
Topic: Italics again (Read 1995 times) previous topic - next topic

Italics again

I need to use a Hebrew phrase in an English piece and would like to italicize it. Is there a tool for this?

Thanks

Re: Italics again

Reply #2
Hi Rick

I don’t need an entire verse but just two words among the English text.

And if you’ve dealt with me before you know that I need a little hand-holding the first time (or two) and then I am off to the races!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Reply #3
I would start by selecting the notes you want to italicize.  Do Cntl/E and under Notes (click it) there will be a "Lyric Syllable" dropdown near the lower right and select "Never".  Insert your italics as text expressions where the lyrics would normally be.  You might have to do this several times, inserting only a word or two--you will have to experiment to see what works for you in that song.
Good luck!

P.S. You would have to take your italic words out of the staff lyric window.
Since 1998

Reply #4
There is one small problem with Warren's suggestion: if you mark the note as not having a lyric syllable, then there won't be space reserved for it in the score. This might be okay if the word is fairly short, but I use the following approach instead:

In your lyrics, put several consecutive underline characters ( _ ) in place of the syllables you will be doing with italics. NWC will render these as spaces, assuming that you set the "Underscore shown as space" checkbox. You can experiment with the number of underscores for each syllable to give you the right spacing. You can even hyphenate your underscores if you have a two syllable Hebrew word (i.e. ______-______ ) so you'll get the hyphen at the right spot, and you can put the syllables on either side.

Also, Warren didn't mention this, but for the text expressions, you probably want to set each syllable's placement to be center justification, aligned at the next note/bar.

Good luck!

Reply #5
Thanks. That did the job.