Skip to main content
Topic: Quick rest insertion/note deletion and lyric placement (Read 2189 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick rest insertion/note deletion and lyric placement

Good morning.

Is there a quick way to delete copied information and insert rests when I am creating a layered part. For example, I might only need additional harmony on the last verse and chorus of a long piece. What I have been doing is copying an entire staff, pasting it to a new staff, then adjusting the sections that need new harmony. This works fine for printing a layered score, however, if I want to print just that harmonic part, then I should really have just rests instead of another sections' notes. Is there a quick way to accomplish this?

Also, a related question is regarding lyrics for that third part. Is there a fast way to insert the lyrics at the point they are needed at the end? I have been doing it by just guessing at how many _ underscores_ I will need in the lyric control box to get to the location in the score. I am usually wrong and there is a great deal of back and forth to get them in the right position.  I can't have all the lyrics there because they will usually be in a different location ex. above the staff, and I only want lyrics above the staff for the ending/additional harmony section, not throughout the entire piece.

If I just had hidden rests (see the first part of my question) then it would be a simple thing to have the lyrics in the right place.

Thank you for your help,
SEBC

Re: Quick rest insertion/note deletion and lyric placement

Reply #1
Re your first question - just a quick answer without really reading all your details: Would the adp_parts user tool with option nosingle do what you want? (I have it configured as
    Remove Top NoSingle=2,php\php.exe scripts\adp_Parts.php remove top nosingle
)

Re your second question:

Solution (a): Instead of adding millions of _, and guessing their number, you can just select the notes/chords and then in their property window (Alt-Enter) set "Lyric Syllable" to "Never" - all the notes have now "vanished" with regards to lyrics.

Solution (b): Add a million of _; then place your cursor at the note where you want the lyrics to start; and now open (Ctrl-L) the lyrics box and then press right-arrow - your cursor in the lyrics box will be show up at the position corresponding to the note cursor! - so now you can simply remove all the underscores after this point.

Hope this helps, or at least gives you an idea where and how to dig further ...

H.M.

Reply #2
Well, the lyrics solutions are brilliant, and I will definitely try that out.

I had not downloaded the user tool starter kit for 2.75 ( I thought that  it would have come with the upgrade, but what do I know?) so I am not familiar with many of those tools. I will have to do some reading to figure out how to use them properly. If you have any suggestions, please let me know,

As an aside, where should I store the file for the User tool start up that was downloaded? Can it be deleted or does it need to go in with the NWC2 master file. Also, if I download a nwctxt tool, how do I get that into where it needs to be for use in the program? I have one sitting in my download file right now.

I am so computer illiterate!

Reply #3
Even if it's not exactly what I need, I normally use what can be found here

Reply #4
SEBC asked
Is there a quick way to delete copied information and insert rests when I am creating a layered part. For example, I might only need additional harmony on the last verse and chorus of a long piece. What I have been doing is copying an entire staff, pasting it to a new staff, then adjusting the sections that need new harmony. This works fine for printing a layered score, however, if I want to print just that harmonic part, then I should really have just rests instead of another sections' notes. Is there a quick way to accomplish this?

Since SEBC also says
I am so computer illiterate!
, it may be that HMMueller's solution is a bit too technical. 

It seems to me the answer is fairly very simple.  Just highlight the measures you don't need in the new staff, and press {Delete}.  Then replace them with bars full of rests with visibility set to Top Staff Only.  It's only a few keystrokes and shouldn't take more than five or 10 seconds to accomplish the task.

Going back to basics, to create the rest, assuming it's a whole rest you want, select {1} on your keypad, and press {Space} to make it.
 Highlight it, press {ctrl}{E} to open the properties box, and select Visibilty = Top Staff Only.  Now press {Tab} to create a bar line. Highlight these two elements, press {ctrl}{C} to copy them to your clipboard, move to the right of the bar line and press {ctrl}{V} as many times as you need.

This assumes you've placed the new staff lower in the score than the original one.  When the two staffs are layered, these rests in the new staff will be invisible.  On the other hand, when the new staff is the only one that is visible, it becomes the top staff for the purposes of printing so the rests will be printed.

Reply #5
There's another option to consider when adding the blank measures to the layered staves. That option is to use the multi-measure rest object (MMR), which you can insert using the [ key. This has the ability to be displayed either as a series of empty measures, or as the standard |--- # ---| type construct that you are no doubt familiar with. You can also make the marks invisible in the same way that David describes, so they won't show when layered, but will be visible either as separate measures or measure counts, depending on how you have set the properties.