Skip to main content
Topic: Unmarked tempo change? (Read 9550 times) previous topic - next topic

Unmarked tempo change?

OK, hopefully one of you wizards can help me. I'm writing a composition for full orchestra. I couldn't find a template in NWC2 (I think there was one in a previous release), so I copied the Mozart sample, deleted everything but the names of the systems and saved it as my own orchestra template.

I am building up my composition gradually-
1.) I did a lead sheet- melody and chord accompaniment. I put text chord names above the melody.
2.) I created a string orch version with the melody on the Violin1 staff and wrote parts for Violin2, Viola, Cello and Bass.
3.) Now I am putting those parts onto the full orchestral score, using the various instruments.

Here's the problem. I change tempo occasionally and haven't had a problem. I copied one of my parts from the string orch file to the full orch file and for some reason, the tempo was CUT IN HALF! I can't find any tempo change anywhere. I know there are hidden systems, but I can't find them. For example, when I go to the mute command, there are 2 systems identified- 'Conductor' and 'Violins1dummy'. I'm wondering if there is something on these systems that is trumping my tempo.

Any thoughts??

John

Re: Unmarked tempo change?

Reply #1
I know there are hidden systems, but I can't find them. For example, when I go to the mute command, there are 2 systems identified- 'Conductor' and 'Violins1dummy'. I'm wondering if there is something on these systems that is trumping my tempo.
Look at Contents: in Page Setup Command
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
I'm wondering if there is something on these systems that is trumping my tempo.

I don't see hidden staffs in the Mozart.nwc template that opens up for me, but maybe the file I opened is not the same one you used.

Do follow Rick's suggestion, and make the hidden staffs visible.

Once there, start at the beginning of each line, and then press Control and F together to open a search window.  Select "By Category" and then Tempo, which should show you any tempo added beyond Bar 1.

Reply #3
   Hi, John.

If there's a next time, you could do worse than start from Tina's (Tina Billett's) "Finale" to

Beethoven's Ninth, which you'll find in the Scriptorium.  It has a Staff for every instrument you

could possibly need!  It will make one serious template!

MusicJohn, 6/Nov/11

Reply #4
You might want to consider putting ALL tempo changes on a staff filled with hidden rests and (if need be) rehearsal symbols.  If you need to print parts, just layer the part you are printing with the "tempo" staff.
Since 1998

Reply #5
Thanks to all! Much appreciated. - John

Reply #6
Turns out there are about 5 hidden systems- one called 'conductor' and there was a stringendo command at the offending location.
I like Warren's suggestion about creating a system for tempos, rehearsal symbols, etc for printing parts.

Thanks.

Reply #7
John,
a user tool which I've frequently used since 2006, is:
EmptyBars.VBS by Peter Edwards

NOTE:
1. When you've downloaded  "EmptyBars.vbs.txt" , remove the ".txt" extension,
    Read the "ReadMe"
2. Install EmptyBars.vbs in the same folder where your other user tools are.
   (AND hope that it will work from there
   - I've not been able to get ANY user tools, apart from those in the default installer,
     to work on my wife's PC)

3. FIRST make a copy of the staff for which you want to create the Empty Bars.

The .NWC file, attached below, uses BOXMARK2.TTF for section numbers.

Reply #8
  - I've not been able to get ANY user tools, apart from those in the default installer, to work on my wife's PC
This may help:
I think it seems to be some sort of problem with version 5.8 which comes with IE 8.
Others seem to also have this issue.

Edit -

Found the answer !  I have to modify the command line to specify jscript ...  so
CScript /E:jscript /nologo .....   etc.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #9
Rick,
I do not follow - please explain more fully.

Where does JAVA come in?

I use both IE7  and the latest FIREFOX, on XP3 Home edition, with all updates.
(Ditto for my wife's PC)
(I discarded IE8 because it had been giving too much trouble.)