Skip to main content
Topic: Buglet in printing? (Read 3391 times) previous topic - next topic

Buglet in printing?

I'm a bit rusty, so I'm probably doing something wrong, but tonight I'm finding text disappears in the Preview Window and in  printing to PDF , if the text is after a collapse command.  The text remains visible in the Edit window. 

In case it's not me, I thought I should report it.  In this example, User1 is Boxmarks2., murgatryd is a misspelled nonsense word I added as I tested, and the text I've 'lost' is the rehearsal letter F.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.751,Single)
|Bar
|Rest|Dur:8th
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Lyric=Never,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:8|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Lyric=Never,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:7|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Lyric=Never,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:6|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Lyric=Never,Beam=First
|Text|Text:"murgatryd"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:12|Justify:Right|Placement:AsStaffSignature|Visibility:TopStaff
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Lyric=Never,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Lyric=Never,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:4|Opts:Stem=Down,Diminuendo,Lyric=Never,Beam=End
|Bar|SysBreak:Y
|Boundary|Style:Collapse

|Rest|Dur:4th,Dotted
|Note|Dur:8th,Accent|Pos:2|Opts:Crescendo,Lyric=Never
|Rest|Dur:8th|Opts:Crescendo
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:3|Opts:Crescendo,Lyric=Never
|Rest|Dur:8th|Opts:Crescendo
|Note|Dur:8th,Accent|Pos:2|Opts:Crescendo,Lyric=Never
|Bar|Style:Double
|Key|Signature:F#|Tonic:G
|Dynamic|Style:f|Pos:-10|Justify:Right|Visibility:TopStaff
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-2|Opts:Lyric=Never
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-2|Opts:Lyric=Never
|Rest|Dur:4th
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:2|Opts:Lyric=Never
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:2|Opts:Lyric=Never
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th,Dotted|Pos:-2|Opts:Lyric=Never
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th,Staccato,Accent|Pos:-2|Opts:Lyric=Never
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:2|Opts:Lyric=Never
|Bar|Style:Double
|Text|Text:"F"|Font:User1|Pos:9.5|Justify:Right|Placement:AsStaffSignature|Visibility:Always
|Dynamic|Style:f|Pos:-10|Justify:Right|Visibility:TopStaff
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Lyric=Never,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Lyric=Never,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0|Opts:Lyric=Never
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2|Opts:Lyric=Never
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:3|Opts:Lyric=Never
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Re: Buglet in printing?

Reply #1
Hallo David,
The rehearsal letter is after a collpase command, so why do you think it should be printed?
In the attacment picture I see a light grey 'F' in the second staff. I think your problem will be solved if you set its visiblity to 'Always'.
Always look on the bright side of life!

Reply #2
Thanks, Opagust!  I figured it could be my mistake, and your answer made me look carefully (with the benefit of a night's sleep) at all the boundary changes.  Sure enough - my mistake.

Here's what happened:
  • All rehearsal letters were initially set to Visibility = Top Staff Only (the image I sent shows Letter F in Staff 1 is Visibility = Always but that was because I tried changing it to see if it cured the problem) .
  • The problem was that all the other boundary changes were in the Staff 2.  I made the mistake of entering the Boundary Collapse before Letter F in Staff 1 instead of Staff 2.   So at Letter F, the score printed Staff 2, not Staff 1. In Staff 2, the letter was Visibility=Top Staff Only.
  • Moving that last Boundary Change to staff 2 solved my problem.

This was my mistake, but perhaps it wouldn't have happened if the top visible staff, in this case Staff 2, were treated as Top Staff for the purposes of the Visibility=Top Staff Only.  Something for the wish list?

Reply #3
perhaps it wouldn't have happened if the top visible staff, in this case Staff 2, were treated as Top Staff for the purposes of the Visibility=Top Staff Only.  Something for the wish list?
Meh. The Top Staff is home to so many notation elements (Expression, Tempo, Sections, SysBreaks) that I think a better approach is to never collapse the Top Staff.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
I'm with David on this. A song very often starts with just the piano, with the solo coming in on the second system, so top visible staff would be useful. The need  also occurs in orchestral scores when the flutes drop out, but depending on pagination you can't tell when.

I know you can use a conductor staff but I find this generally more of a pain than a help.

Reply #5
Run the conductor staff through my Multi Measure Rest tool with the option "Layer Hide".  Tempo, tempo variences, and rehearsal symbols will be seen on all parts.
Since 1998

Reply #6
To me, the best feature of Noteworthy is that it is so easy to learn and use.  While so many active users have created wonderful scores, its market is novice musicians.  The fewer "watch-fors," the better.

While I agree it would be best to always use a conductor staff I'm with Peter.  I suspect many of our fellow users don't think to set one up.  I don't; usually I find it too finicky and if it's at the top of the score, Visibility = Top Staff Only in the top staff of notation isn't going to work. 

It would be ideal if everyone knew to never collapse the top staff, but we don't (until we struggle to figure out why something went wrong).   Where an instrumental part for two players is mostly unison except for a few sections, or the chart has a repeated section where the repeat differs from the first time through (very common in old marching band sheet music), why should it make a difference if the top or the second visible staff is collapsed during the unison sections?

My suggestion would help idiot-proof this particular visibility setting.

Reply #7
I agree with Rick, here: I don't see anything wrong with the current way of doing things. If you don't want the conductor's staff visible at all times, and you have another staff which will always be present at the top of the score, try making the conductor's staff the second staff in the system. Layer the top staff with it, instead of vice versa. I often do this for parts - it allows you to put system breaks, etc., in the part they're relevant for instead of having to constantly shift them around in the conductor's staff while preparing the parts.