Skip to main content
Topic: Selectively suppressing staves when printing (Read 3326 times) previous topic - next topic

Selectively suppressing staves when printing

I know this is one of those things that has been discussed for... well, looks like at least 10 years, but with the new objects tools, is there any way to, for example, in a vocal score where the piano comes in before the voice, to hide the vocal line for the first few printed staves? It's literally the only thing keeping me from getting near-perfect prints of my music.

Re: Selectively suppressing staves when printing

Reply #1
I think you're looking to collapse a staff.  Press ] or select the Insert Menu/Boundary Change/Boundary tab/Start a Collapsible Section.

There's a bit of a learning curve.

Reply #2
FAQ: Different Number of Staves in a Song

This FAQ includes *.nwc song files that you can download and see how the Boundary Change command has been used. Select the entered items and press Alt+Enter to see what was set. Use File: Print Preview to see the results.

Reply #3
I was so glad when this was implemented, as this is a great feature that has allowed me to (for example) redo a number of my lead sheets and get them down from three pages to two pages (so I don't have to turn the page).  No need to waste space on vocal lines that aren't there (during instrumental breaks and what not).

John

Reply #4
This tool can create multi measure rests and suppress staves when creating a conductor's score--to do this use the HideAll option.  If creating a "tempo" staff with just tempo, tempo variances (rit., acc., etc) and rehearsal symbols, choose LayerHide.

mmr.js

Chop off the "/mmr.js" to see installation instructions.  This shows all instruments at the beginning of the score, but you can move the first collapse symbol to the beginning of each staff if it starts with a long rest.
Since 1998

Reply #5
I know this is one of those things that has been discussed for... well, looks like at least 10 years, but with the new objects tools, is there any way to, for example, in a vocal score where the piano comes in before the voice, to hide the vocal line for the first few printed staves? It's literally the only thing keeping me from getting near-perfect prints of my music.

Hi Adam,
Haven't posted on this forum before but have been using nwc for decades myself. Hope I've interpreted your question correctly.
I just select the section for which I don't want any lyrics, then right click and go to Properties ... Notation properties, OR go to Edit on the main menu and then Properties. Either way, there is a heading that says "Lyric syllable". If you drop that down it will give you the option of "Default" (which I've always taken to mean "Yes"), "Always", which presumably overrides every other command, or Ta da! "Never" - so your lyrics will skip that section of notes or whatever, and hopefully start where they are supposed to.
Cheers
Sherry

Reply #6
the piano comes in before the voice, to hide the vocal line for the first few printed staves?
The sample file: ROSE.nwc has a piano intro. If you add:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)
|Boundary|Style:Collapse
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
at the beginning of the Vocal Staff (before the Treble Clef), and you add:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)
|Boundary|Style:EndCollapse
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
after the opening bar of measure 7, you might see what you are seeking.
This particular example will need a bit more editing. Suppressing the Vocal Staff also hides the initial Tempo.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Thanks so much everyone. You know how it is when you've been using something for a while. Been trying out the ] menu, and can say my scores now look so much better, collapsing things whenever I want them to, and adding more spacing as well.

I don't actually have the Rose sample as it wasn't included when I installed, which doesn't help, but... I think I've figured it out... 

Reply #8
I don't actually have the Rose sample as it wasn't included when I installed
Really?
Click "file->open sample" then browse the sample dir.