Skip to main content
Topic: Mind the accidentals when deduplicating multivoice staffs. (Read 3372 times) previous topic - next topic

Mind the accidentals when deduplicating multivoice staffs.

The lower staff of the attachment is to be sung by two voice groups.

But I like to have seperate staffs,  which makes it easier to see the notes I have to sing, and also for playing 'my' staff only when studying.
So I made two seperate staffs in my NWC file of this song. In the upper staff I've put in this measure:  a half b flat, a quarter  rest and and 2 eighth d's, in the lower staff: a half f,  a quarter  rest and and 2 eighth b's.

And then, to prepare myself for the rehearsal of our choir, I played the lower staff several times with my earphone plugged in.
But when singing it with the choir, the director noticed that there was someone of the basses that didn't sing the b's flat correctly. Then I realized that my NWC file was not correct: I should have put 2 b's flat in stead of two natural b's, because in the original score, there were preceded by a b flat in the same measure!

Conclusion: when deduplicating a multivoice staff: mind the accidentals!
Always look on the bright side of life!

Re: Mind the accidentals when deduplicating multivoice staffs.

Reply #1
Perhaps something like this?!?:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)
|Clef|Type:Bass
|Note|Dur:32nd,Grace,Slur|Pos:b5|Opts:Muted|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Since 1998

Reply #2
Perhaps something like this?!?:
|Note|Dur:32nd,Grace,Slur|Pos:b5|Opts:Muted|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
That sounds right, but the accidental is not visible.
Since I duplicated the staff into 2 seperate staves, I just had to add the accidental:
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:b5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First

Reply #3
I think what Warren was suggesting was a way to notate the flatted note on the layered staff so that it would play the B♭ correctly without displaying a redundant ♭ symbol on the printed layered score. (Unless you have no need to print it.)

Mike

Reply #4
I think what Warren was suggesting was a way to notate the flatted note on the layered staff so that it would play the B♭ correctly without displaying a redundant ♭ symbol on the printed layered score. (Unless you have no need to print it.)

Mike
In my case this is not applicable, because I want 'my voice' on a separate staff. But indeed, when you want to layer 2 voices, this is the way to do it. Thanks, Warren.

Reply #5
Mike

Do I understand the question is simply - how do I apply an accidental to a note without showing it?
If so, isn't hiding the accidental just a matter of pressing the 7 (natural), 8 (flat) or 9 (sharp) key twice instead of once?

Reply #6
Do I understand the question is simply - how do I apply an accidental to a note without showing it?
If so, isn't hiding the accidental just a matter of pressing the 7 (natural), 8 (flat) or 9 (sharp) key twice instead of once?
I don't think so. This actually removes the accidental.
To apply an accidental without showing it, use a hidden, muted, altered grace note before the note you want to apply the accidental to.

Reply #7
My original post was not about not showing an accidental. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.
I'll try it agian:
  • In the original score, the Tenor II en Bass parts were shown on 1 staff.
  • It contained 1 b flat for the tenors at the start of a measure and 2 b's for the basses at the end of the measure.
  • Since they were in the same staff, the flat accidental counted also for the basses.
  • I decided to create 2 separate staves for tenors en basses, and copied the notes as they were on the original score.
  • That was a mistake, because I should have inserted an accidental before the first b in the bass staff.
So my point was: do not make the same mistake, mind the accidentals when deduplicating a multivoice staff.