Skip to main content
Topic: Trustworthy (Read 4336 times) previous topic - next topic

Trustworthy

Firefox says: "this connection is not trustworthy"  :D
What's up?

Re: Trustworthy

Reply #1
I'm getting the same thing from Chrome. I got here by going through the NWC website; Chrome wouldn't let me in when I used the shortcut in my bookmarks. Said that the connection was not secure and the server couldn't prove it owned the site's certificate. Something screwy is going on.

Reply #2
Just converted to Windows 10.  Firefox won't let me in directly, I have to choose forum from the main website.  Also had certificate problem.
Since 1998

Reply #3
forum.noteworthysoftware.com utilizes an invalid security certificate

The certificate is valid only for the following names:
  www.noteworthysoftware.com, noteworthysoftware.com 

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_domain)

Reply #4
Here's what Chrome gives me:

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from forum.noteworthysoftware.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID
This server could not prove that it is forum.noteworthysoftware.com; its security certificate is from www.noteworthysoftware.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

Reply #5
How are you landing onto the forum? The forum should be accessed exclusively via:

https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com

If you are using a noteworthysoftware.com address, you should stop using it and visit the above link directly.

If there is a broken link somewhere that points to the old forum locations, please reply here with details.

Reply #6
We-l-l-l-l.....

I have been, in fact, using a link that uses the noteworthysoftware.com address. It's the bookmark in my browser. I suspect many others are in the same state. I can and will change it. But you might reactivate the certificate on the noteworthysoftware.com address at least long enough to let people know they have to change their bookmarks. You are likely to lose a few forum readers who are less computer-savvy than Flurmy and Warren and I.

Reply #7
Attached is what I've been getting. The only difference between the suggested link and what a mouseover on my frequently visited bar shows is a trailing slash (/).
Since 1998

Reply #8
A little over a year ago, it was announced that the various NWC web resources were being moved to the noteworthycomposer.com domain. (The announcement is here). After that migration, redirects were put in place to automatically send visitors to the new sites if they had previously bookmarked the older noteworthysoftware.com URLs.  Unfortunately, this made the changeover fairly transparent, and apparently a number of people never bothered changing their bookmarks/favorites.

The solution to the problem is for people to update their forum bookmarks to point to the new domain. People who bookmarked https://www.noteworthysoftware.com or https://noteworthysoftware.com should be correctly redirected to the new main site.

Reply #9
Now I understand the issue better. The browser is claiming that the server is wrongly configured, when in fact, this was an intentional configuration change on my part. It was intended to make it easier to find the correct forum link (by overriding the security check). Since we no longer fully support the old, retired domain, I will change the config so that the old domain is not served up at all.

When this change was first made, we should have created landing pages on forum.noteworthysoftware.com that included instructions to update your address book, rather than simply redirecting straight to the new URL. Something to remember for next time, should this situation arise again.

Reply #10
One concern, Eric: you might consider keeping the old domain name registered for a while. The situation is otherwise ripe for phishers.

Reply #11
One concern, Eric: you might consider keeping the old domain name registered for a while. The situation is otherwise ripe for phishers.
The noteworthysoftware.com domain is still registered to Eric until March of 2018. I think the issue in this case was the HTTPS certificate for the website.

Reply #13
The noteworthysoftware.com domain is still registered to Eric until March of 2018. I think the issue in this case was the HTTPS certificate for the website.
I agree about the certificate being the issue - that's what Chrome told me in the first place. And I'm glad the domain is safe for another two years.