Skip to main content
Topic: Abbreviated alternating sixteenths (Read 2463 times) previous topic - next topic

Abbreviated alternating sixteenths

This is my first post, so my apologies for not knowing the forum very well!  :-[

I'm transcribing an orchestral score so that I can transpose a violin concerto down an octave and a fifth for cello.  I've transcribed the first movement, but it's ended up being 99 pages instead of the original 55, partly because I've written out sixteenths in full, instead of using notation like on the first page of music in the score I linked to above.

I can do something like the whole note with two angled lines above it for the single repeated note in the bar, (for the 2nd violins), but how would I put in the notation for the alternating sixteenths, (for the violas)?  It looks like there's no option to specify a round open notehead, surprisingly, so I can't just make two sixteenths and set their noteheads.  Any ideas?

(I'll probably have a bunch more questions regarding layout as I get closer to having the score done.)

Re: Abbreviated alternating sixteenths

Reply #1
If you are using version 2.75, then you can use the tremolo object developed by Mike Shawaluk.  . This will give you exactly the same as in the score you indicated and it will play too.

You need to read up about this here : https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=9084.0

There is also a sample clip there to get you on your way.

Rich.

Reply #2
Thanks Rich. I would also suggest using the "Make Tremolo.ms" user tool to speed up the task of creating the tremolos, if you are familiar with user tools. It will allow you to enter the notes as they are without the beams, and will insert the custom object, convert the notes to rest chords and mute them all in one step.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Mike

Reply #3
I'm transcribing an orchestral score so that I can transpose a violin concerto down an octave and a fifth for cello.
A big task. I have downloaded the score to help me with further questions you may have.

It looks like there's no option to specify a round open notehead, surprisingly, so I can't just make two sixteenths and set their noteheads.  Any ideas?
Yes. Set to notehead qlyph to 'Blank Space' and use Text:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.75,Single)
|Text|Text:"j"|Font:StaffSymbols|Pos:-6|Justify:Right|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-6z
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Thanks for the quick replies, everyone!  I just upgraded to 2.75 from 2.5.5 last night, so I hadn't tried out any user tools before.  I couldn't seem to figure out how to use "Tremolo.ms.nwcuser.lua" on its own, (it kept giving an error message "Tremolo.ms.nwcuser.lua:31: attempt to index global 'nwcdraw' (a nil value)").  However, "Make Tremolo.ms.lua" worked great after a few tries.  It'll save a lot of pages.  :)  Maybe I should learn some lua, too, although I heard it has *gasp* 1-based array indexing.  ;)

It is a fairly big project, though I've transcribed just over 50% of it already.  I'll be sure to submit it to the Scriptorium once I've finished it and had some people check it over, both the violin version and the transposed cello version, (which will need consultation with people who play each of the instruments to verify +4th vs -5th decisions).

The bigger challenge is that I'm practising the solo part on cello, and it's quite a bit beyond my actual abilities, but I've made a lot of progress practising it over the past several months.  Not everything translates perfectly over to cello, but there were only a few things that needed major changes due to the distances being about twice as far on cello, and some of the bits with double-stop octaves seemed to just be there so that the violin could be heard over an orchestra, which isn't as much of an issue on cello.  That and the original bowings are bonkers.

Edit: I'm really liking 2.75 so far.  A few things are finally there that I've been wanting since way back in 1.3.1; (I think that was the first version I used as a kid, but I can't remember for sure.)