Skip to main content
Topic: Notation of violin harmonics - layering? (Read 2033 times) previous topic - next topic

Notation of violin harmonics - layering?

I wanted to run this by the forum. The attached... this is how I handled the notation of violin harmonics for La Fille aux Cheveaux de Lin.  Then layered the two staffs.  Perhaps there is a better way.  See attached, please.

PB

Re: Notation of violin harmonics - layering?

Reply #1
Looks good!  I'm waiting to see the entire file.
Since 1998

Reply #2
Warren, I see you are a violinist.  The two attached are my first full use of 2.5.1.  It looks pretty good to me.  I haven't yet delved into things that are different from 1.75c. I'll make small mention about the pieces while keeping my focus on the use of the composer.

I have attached the violin part as I conceived them.  This was at first a transcription of a Heifetz clip on youtube.  However, I added a double stop portion which he used in Estrellita, as it seemed a natural.  In addition, his violin does far better in the higher positions, owing to it's superior quality.  There for some of the cadenzas are handled in the lower positions to add more depth than my violin is capable of in the regions he played them in.   This is my original work.  I had fun watching and writing it down.  I didn't include the nwc file as the boxmark2.ttf needs to be installed for the bowings and I am assuming you are interested in the arrangement rather than how I produced it on Noteworthy.  I am also including Intermezzo in the style of JH.  In records that followed after the movie(s), cadenzas were shortened... the subsequent versions are thus different than Provost's original composition. Utilizing 2.5.1 really sped up the process of notation.  If you want the alterations for the accompaniments, I placed them on www.maestrostudio.net

PB

Reply #3
I visited that website and read the midi file into NWC.  You might want to try patch 92  for the harmonics at measure 24.  Of course that staff would have to be hidden while the harmonics you display would be muted.  If you want to try other patches for the harmonics, you can get the Patch Test from Scriptorium Files.
Since 1998